Tom Watson wedges...

polarisdude94

golf junky
Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody use or have hit the Adams golf Tom Watson wedges? I'm looking for some somewhat cheap wedges, but still good. Any reviews or input on other cheap wedges would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Tried them out many times. For the money (if they are still 3 for $100), they are hard to beat.

used a 56 and 60 for years while I was in HS and college. They are a great set of value wedges.

Thanks for the quick responses. Right now at rockbottomgolf.com they are going for 79.99 for a set of 3. Know of any other cheap sets or individual wedges?

Thanks for the quick responses. Right now at rockbottomgolf.com they are going for 79.99 for a set of 3. Know of any other cheap sets or individual wedges?

That's a good price. How much for shipping?

that's a great price. And I'm sure if you google a coupon code you will get free shipping on them too.

There are all kinds of wedges people can get at stores for $20 a piece or $30 a piece. Most of them are adequate like these are. The difference for me, is that while cost should always be a consideration, when it comes to wedges, I think fitting and options are so important.

I was a big fan of the Nickent Arc wedges and they can be had rather cheap as well.

if you use RMNrockhead as a coupon code you will get free shipping on those. Just tried it out to confirm

I think shipping was around $10-$13.
Have heard some other things about the Nickent Arc wedges. Arent they forged?

I used them last year for a while. Great wedges for the price. No options for loft & bounce. But they are nice options for the price. Very hard not to like these.

I think shipping was around $10-$13.
Have heard some other things about the Nickent Arc wedges. Arent they forged?

No, I believe they are cast.

No, I believe they are cast.

Just like Vokey's. The best flop shots I have pulled off were with the Watson wedges. I am starting to miss them.

Okay, I'll have to look around a little still. But I also saw that for the tom watson wedges they had a players grind, but I couldn't find a set of 3 of those. The players grind looks pretty nice so I was trying to find those. I know they also released the puglielli black wedge. I don't know where to get those or how much they are, but they looked nice. What are some benefits of the players grind on wedges? And what other wedges have those? I have seen the Vokeys and Callaways with it, but does Cleveland have those options?

Okay, I'll have to look around a little still. But I also saw that for the tom watson wedges they had a players grind, but I couldn't find a set of 3 of those. The players grind looks pretty nice so I was trying to find those. I know they also released the puglielli black wedge. I don't know where to get those or how much they are, but they looked nice. What are some benefits of the players grind on wedges? And what other wedges have those? I have seen the Vokeys and Callaways with it, but does Cleveland have those options?

It can make a wedge more versatile for opening up the wedge, but it is not for everybody.

And yes, Cleveland does have that. Its called the DSG grind.

It can make a wedge more versatile for opening up the wedge, but it is not for everybody.

And yes, Cleveland does have that. Its called the DSG grind.

Yes, it is not for every player. I have two CG15s with the DSG grind. I do not like them. I had the standard sole grind on my Watsons. They were very nice.

How would I know if something like that is for me? I do like to open up the face sometimes and I am not afraid to flop it over something.

How would I know if something like that is for me? I do like to open up the face sometimes and I am not afraid to flop it over something.

Have you thought about getting a fitting?

Yes, it is not for every player. I have two CG15s with the DSG grind. I do not like them. I had the standard sole grind on my Watsons. They were very nice.

Why don't you like the DSG grind?

First set of wedges I bought were the Tom Watson 3 pack. They still live in my garage as 2nd set backups. I had my regular set in my car trunk in the auto shop this summer and played the Watsons again. Very solid wedges, and great value for the price. 80 bucks including shipping is good. I think the 60* is pretty easy to open up for flop shots in the watson set because it doesn't have a lot of bounce.

A little? Do they fit you to a certain wedge? Or is it more about bounce and that stuff?

Its just like every other type of fitting. It will be about getting the right clubs for your game. Length, lie, grind, bounce, loft, etc...

I just got the set (52, 56, 60) last week. Took them out yesterday. The Lob wedge worked wonderfully for me, getting me very close to hole on my chips and pitches. It is wonderful not to have to worry about too much rollout on these shots. I even used it in bunkers and always got out on the first try, which is not something that usually happens to me. However, it seems I haven't quite gotten the hang of the sand and gap wedges yet because when I tried from near the green, I wasn't getting much more distance than the lob wedge. I hadn't practiced with them at all before the round, so I am sure at this point that it was just my lack my lack of familiarity and practice with them that was the issue. i will give them some range time soon.

They look very good too.

Why don't you like the DSG grind?

For me, they tend to dig in the sand and rough. They are great from light lies in the fairway or for a flop shot below an elevated green. Otherwise, I find that their utility is weakened in hazards.

I have the G,S,L wedge set - it was the first upgrade I made from the starter set of clubs I had. I still use these now, as they just plain work. At the moment, I'm only using the Gap and Sand wedges. I've had a varying comfort level with the lob wedge, so it's not in my bag full-time. At any rate, bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with this wedge set. Top drawer!

Back