Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Bought my M3 today and they are just pretty aren't they? First thing I did when I got home was take off the stock grip and but on a black winn lite soft grip with 3 wraps under the top hand and 4 under the bottom. Let me say while it is done and on the club, DO NOT TRY THIS! It was hard, took forever and was not fun. I would have bought a winn lite midsize but they only had them in blue and that would look stupid. Anyway no golf today but I will the M3 out to the range tomorrow.

Question with regards to the shafts:
I swung the C.Kua 59 yesterday in R (4422) and S (6643) and did find it light, but am not making excuses for my horrendous golf swing.
If I wonder order in a C.Kua 83 in R (2455), how different would it be, based on the International Flex Codes?

Question with regards to the shafts:
I swung the C.Kua 59 yesterday in R (4422) and S (6643) and did find it light, but am not making excuses for my horrendous golf swing.
If I wonder order in a C.Kua 83 in R (2455), how different would it be, based on the International Flex Codes?

I think you would find the 83g C.Kua to have a lower ball flight than the 59g C.Kua. You may already know this, but the flex codes are the relative stiffness at four points down the shaft on a scale of 0 to 9.

First Number = butt end
Second number = middle toward butt end
Third number = middle toward tip
Fourth number = Tip end

Therefore, the 2455 is going to have a higher kick-point than the 4422 or 6643, which will lead to a lower ball flight. Your in the same ball park for overall stiffness, so I'd think you would be ok with any of the three, but they will be different.

Yeah, I've taken a look at the Miyazaki site and it's quite interesting. I wonder why they decided to go with a different IFC for the 83 and the 59.

I have a feeling that I am relying too much on specs and technicalities instead of going for feel and functionality.

Dear Diary,

It's been roughly 60+ days since my last entry and today I woke up, it was warmer and by the time I made it to the range, the temperature had reached a high of around 46*. There was still snow remnant on the range but they were open, it was warm, the sky was Carolina blue, and I had a date with the Mashie.

Boy, am I rusty. I needed to get out and swing in a bad way, so I put on my finest khakis and my Bridgestone polo, and of course, my white strap. I was by far the most serious looking golfer on the range and that oozes confidence when you pull the pre-released Mashie out of your bag, tease the rest of the range rats with it, and it's throwback coolness, then rip shot after shot down the range. Boy, am I rusty. My swing was like that of Tommy Gainey, at least it felt like what his looks like. I warmed up with my PW, and for every couple that I felt like I hit well, I hit that many poorly. I was hitting everything thin. I thought that they may have something to do with the fact that the earth was still as hard as a 3 foot putt for Tiger these days.

I immediately pulled the Mashie and started letting shots fly. That familiar sound, that finger tingling feel, and that "hold your finish til the ball lands" ball flight was precisely how I remembered it. I can honestly say that despite my struggles with my irons, the Mashie was brilliant today. I don't know how Cleveland did it, but they did. I can't imagine approaching this golf season without this golf club in my bag.

At any rate, I wanted to share my experiences from my range session.

Mashie.is.good!

welcome back to testing TC! That winter is a pain in the arse right? Like you I went to the range today only it was about 29 outside here. I'm glad to hear the mashie is rusty swing proof. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Dear Diary,

It's been roughly 60+ days since my last entry and today I woke up, it was warmer and by the time I made it to the range, the temperature had reached a high of around 46*. There was still snow remnant on the range but they were open, it was warm, the sky was Carolina blue, and I had a date with the Mashie.

Boy, am I rusty. I needed to get out and swing in a bad way, so I put on my finest khakis and my Bridgestone polo, and of course, my white strap. I was by far the most serious looking golfer on the range and that oozes confidence when you pull the pre-released Mashie out of your bag, tease the rest of the range rats with it, and it's throwback coolness, then rip shot after shot down the range. Boy, am I rusty. My swing was like that of Tommy Gainey, at least it felt like what his looks like. I warmed up with my PW, and for every couple that I felt like I hit well, I hit that many poorly. I was hitting everything thin. I thought that they may have something to do with the fact that the earth was still as hard as a 3 foot putt for Tiger these days.

I immediately pulled the Mashie and started letting shots fly. That familiar sound, that finger tingling feel, and that "hold your finish til the ball lands" ball flight was precisely how I remembered it. I can honestly say that despite my struggles with my irons, the Mashie was brilliant today. I don't know how Cleveland did it, but they did. I can't imagine approaching this golf season without this golf club in my bag.

Mashie.is.good!

Awesome stuff TC, glad you were able to make it out there today.

Just got back from some time at the range myself. Was nice and sunny and in the high 70s here ( sorry TC and DDEC) I spent most of my range time working on my chipping and pitching but did take some time to work with the Mashie after the problems I had yesterday. Any iissue I had with the Mashie was worked out today. Everything I hit with it went nice and straight like I remember.

+1 on that Bridgestone polo dude...did the collar irritate people?
Dear Diary,

Mashie.is.good!

+1 on that Bridgestone polo dude...did the collar irritate people?

Love that shirt, made by Antigua, same as the THP shirts. Super comfy.

drove 3 hours today (there and back) to hit/get fitted for the mashie. Got there and they didn't have it in yet. The shop sent out an email a few weeks back stating when the new cleveland line would be there on the 1st of feb. Oh well got a bunch of free range balls to hit. I'll be heading back next friday for a fitting. I did hit the 910 hybrid and was really impressed. The mashie really has to perform to beat the 910.

Well couldn't get to the range today with the Mashie but after letting the grip dry I did hit some balls into the net in the back yard. Even without seeing the flight of the ball this club is great. The Miyazaki shaft feels great, the sound off the club face is like nothing I have heard before but good, and it really is kind of like cheating. Can't wait to get this to the range tomorrow, but if it performs the way it felt today the wait for my M2 will become even more unbearable.

Well for several years now I have been in search of a hybrid that I like the feel of and that I could hit well. I think I found it today! I went to the golf expo in Denver and hit the mashie at the Cleveland booth and fell in love. I didn't get to see any launch numbers as it was just a hitting bay, but man that club felt sweet. The rep put some impact tape on it for me and while all my shots were not on the sweet spot, they felt really good. The ones that were not on the sweet spot were just a little out toward the toe. that is also the first time I swung the Miyazaki shaft and man o man I was impressed with that shaft. After I can get to a Golf Galaxy or Golf Smith and get some numbers on the Mashie I have a good feeling that one is going to find its way into my bag.

Well for several years now I have been in search of a hybrid that I like the feel of and that I could hit well. I think I found it today! I went to the golf expo in Denver and hit the mashie at the Cleveland booth and fell in love. I didn't get to see any launch numbers as it was just a hitting bay, but man that club felt sweet. The rep put some impact tape on it for me and while all my shots were not on the sweet spot, they felt really good. The ones that were not on the sweet spot were just a little out toward the toe. that is also the first time I swung the Miyazaki shaft and man o man I was impressed with that shaft. After I can get to a Golf Galaxy or Golf Smith and get some numbers on the Mashie I have a good feeling that one is going to find its way into my bag.

And here we have another one. Awesome RW. I have never seen a club that is so overwhelmingly loved after trial. It shocked me at the demo day (we had almost every brand) and it shocks me still now. But in the end, when you put the best hybrid shaft (my opinion) in the business as a standard offering and price it less than half the other companies, you have a real winner on your hands.

And here we have another one. Awesome RW. I have never seen a club that is so overwhelmingly loved after trial. It shocked me at the demo day (we had almost every brand) and it shocks me still now. But in the end, when you put the best hybrid shaft (my opinion) in the business as a standard offering and price it less than half the other companies, you have a real winner on your hands.

Not only am I going to do it but Gabuzo was there with me and he is going to get one also, but he wants to wait and see numbers on a moniter. I think the club head with the shaft are a great combination.

..... and the Mashie legend grows......

congrats RW!!

Not only am I going to do it but Gabuzo was there with me and he is going to get one also, but he wants to wait and see numbers on a moniter. I think the club head with the shaft are a great combination.

Your going to love it wulff, I hit the club once on a monitor for 5 minutes and then bought one and ordered another online. The price point of this club is insane, if this isn't the best selling hybrid in years then the masses just don't know.

I agree JB...it's all about the shaft for me. The head is nice, but the shaft is the best hybrid shaft I've played.

I will have my little write up tomorrow afternoon after I play again. Played yesterday, had some range time today and then going again tomorrow. Will update it all at one time.

Its been 2 weeks since I last hit it. Due to weather and another minor issue but just for a little sneak peak, The 2 weeks off from the mashie seemed to be going good for me so far, hoping that continues tomorrow.

I also hit the mashie at the Denver Golf expo on Friday, I talked aout it in an earlier post. I will have 2 mashies in my bag soon. My buddy with me was impressed as well.

I too have been converted! I have been anxiously swaying this club since I began hearing the hype in Dec. I wanted to hit it because honestly I did not think it could possibly be as good as advertised. I went to the Portland golf show yesterday and made a B line to the Cleveland booth. This is the one company that I have been most excited to try their stuff and the Mashie is at the top of that list. Let me say that it did not disappoint. I hit the M1 and it felt great and we easy to hit. I was hitting into a net so I couldn't see my ball flight but I could get a good idea from the feel. The club looks great. In my opinion it does look unfinished, BUT I like it because I hit my hybrid from all sorts of lies and the finish on this club looks like it could stand up to a nuclear explosion. You don't have to worry about a rock taking a chunk out of the finish, which would be my main concern with a hybrid like the new TM hybrids. I think that just gives you extra confidence to go at it. I am going to try and find the Mashie at my local store (it wasn't there on Friday), and hit it. I may give myself a pass to buy this club prior to the outing, because I noticed this weekend that I am trying to use my current hybrid too much and often would go too long. I have a huge gap that is going to get filled with a Mashie or two or three :D Can i also say that this shaft is legit! This is the reason I will not hesitate to buy this club right now. It was the nicest shaft I have ever hit. I was also privileged to get to hit the Z Star driver and I think I am in love! Also the new Cleveland driver with the C Kua shaft was awesome too! I just won the R11, which I am so excited about, BUT the biggest weakness of the R11 is the shaft. So I am going to either sell it or put a Miyasaki shaft in the R11. Back to the point though, the Mashie is legit and it is in large part due to an amazing shaft!

I Tapped, I Talked

Great info Dr Teeth, OEM says mashies are allowed before the outing and since I just bought two I have to agree. I don't know about you but this was the first Miyazaki I had ever hit and the hype about this shaft brand was spot on. I wish we got an expo here like everyone else seems to be getting.

Dear Mashie blog,

I haven't the faintest idea how people hit the club with a 59 gram shaft in it. It felt like I was swinging the golf club version of invisible ink. I thank the great googlie moogile that two lovely 83's shall be winging their way to me.

I hope I shall not have my heart broken yet again. Yet for now, there is still hope for us and for our future together. Counting the days until we're together at last..

Signed, a long time Mashie admirer

Dear Mashie blog,

I haven't the faintest idea how people hit the club with a 59 gram shaft in it. It felt like I was swinging the golf club version of invisible ink. I thank the great googlie moogile that two lovely 83's shall be winging their way to me.

I hope I shall not have my heart broken yet again. Yet for now, there is still hope for us and for our future together. Counting the days until we're together at last..

Signed, a long time Mashie admirer

Nice Tuna! I really love the weight of it but I have a swing that just works with it I guess. Put a winn lite grip on this bad boy and she is good to go.

Back