Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

I have a feeling that the really shallow face might cause issues for me.

I had a chance to hit the XL270 and SL290 at a Roger Dunn today. I hit about 20 balls with each club using a FlightScope launch monitor. Here were my initial thoughts/findings:

XL270:
- Hated the grip. The club didn't feel secure in my hands and it did very little in the way of shock absorption.

- My experience with the XL270 was a lot like Vadim's. It really feels like I'm hitting rocks with this driver. I really did not like the feel or performance of this driver.

- Even though I expected the club to be light, it was still surprising to feel how light it really is once you get it in your hands. Cleveland did a great job maintaining a traditional swing weight. As others have pointed out, you really don't notice the weight of the club after a few swings.

SL290:
- Hands down, this is the best driver I have ever hit. EVER. I think I finally found the perfect shaft for my swing. The :miyazaki: C.Kua 43 is !@#$-ing AWESOME.

- I'm a below average hacker at best and I usually spray my drives all over the place. With the SL290, my misses still hit the fairway (at least according to the FlightScope).

- I've demoed a lot of different drivers on the FlightScope and the I've never hit the distances I achieved with the SL290. I hit the SL290 side by side with the Burner SuperFast 2.0 (the Roger Dunn had demos available) and I was getting 20-25 more yards with the SL290.

- In terms of feel, the SL290 is fantastic. Just a really solid feel and sound on impact.

- I think the Lamkin grip in the SL290 is a huge upgrade over the Winn grip on the XL270. A lot more tacky and shock absorbent.

Both the XL270 and the SL290 look beautiful at address and the headcovers are really nice too. For my swing, the SL290 is the total package. Kudos to Cleveland for producing 3 models to better fit different types of players. While the XL270 didn't fit my swing, I'm sure lots of people will love it the way I love the SL290. Can't wait until February 18th!

Taco,
Thanks for all the feedback. Im really quite surprised that going from the 270 to the 290 made such a dramatic change, but I am glad it worked out for you.

Good info tt. I like the 43 in the fwy a lot. What shaft was in the 270?

I was surprised too but the difference for me was really night and day. The Miyazaki website says the C.Kua 43 is for players "with a quick transition in their swing" and I think they are spot on with their recommendation.

The shaft in the in the XL270 is the C.Kua 39, which Miyazaki recommends for players with a "smooth transition in their swing." That's definitely not me but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that this shaft would be perfect for.

I have been reading and putting stats together and something is crazy to me. We keep hearing about the Mashie love and the FW love from the Cleveland line. For months we have heard that Miyazaki shaft is one of the best people have ever tried. They cannot get over how smooth the club is and some go as far as saying that both the hybrid and FW wood are the best they have ever played.

Then we talk drivers and not a mention. Flock to the paint job or some other driver. Im shocked by this really. I would not be of course if there was not the crazy love for the same shaft line in the Mashie. The fact that hundreds at this point have come in and said that the Mashie might be the best they have ever hit. That the Miyazaki shaft might be the best they ever hit. Then it comes time for the driver and no mentions of it.

Okay, that is my amusing fact of the day.

I agree with you JB. We are having a Cleveland demo day at our course next month and I can't wait to see everyone's reaction to these. It is strange to me that the Mashie is getting all the attention when the driver and fairway clubs are just as awesome to me as the Mashie. I hope people will give them a try. I love the fact that the drivers come in different weights and flex points so that you can find what is just right for you.

I plan to be there KellyBo with dollars in my grubby hand. I don't see how I can go wrong with the Cleveland/Miyazaki combo. I know you are excited to be getting your new clubs soon.

I have a 290 on order that I'll be putting through the paces in Scottsdale starting next Sunday for 6 rounds.

As I mentioned in my mini review above, I LOVE the :miyazaki: shaft in the SL290. I've had it in my bag for a week (the Roger Dunn shops in SoCal have been selling them since last Monday) and I still feel that it is the best driver I have ever hit. I have a Mashie in my bag as well and I'm actually more impressed by the SL290.

I'm with you on that, JB. It's almost as though there is a stigma against Cleveland drivers. I just picked up the 3-wood, as I was in the market for one and was blown away by it. If I were in the market for a new driver, the Cleveland would be at the top of my list. They had a demo day at my local range late last year or early this year where I hit the TL310. I really liked it, but only had time to hit a handful of balls. That's probably a good thing, because if I had more time with it, I would probably own one of those too!

could this be because a hybrid is easier to hit and easier to like than a driver? Or that Cleveland doesn't have the 'sexy name' or 'reputation' of a Taylormade, Callaway, or even Nike? That may be a big factor in putting a Miyazaki in their driver line....show the consumer extreme value and performance and slowly build a following that way?
I have been reading and putting stats together and something is crazy to me. We keep hearing about the Mashie love and the FW love from the Cleveland line. For months we have heard that Miyazaki shaft is one of the best people have ever tried. They cannot get over how smooth the club is and some go as far as saying that both the hybrid and FW wood are the best they have ever played.

Then we talk drivers and not a mention. Flock to the paint job or some other driver. Im shocked by this really. I would not be of course if there was not the crazy love for the same shaft line in the Mashie. The fact that hundreds at this point have come in and said that the Mashie might be the best they have ever hit. That the Miyazaki shaft might be the best they ever hit. Then it comes time for the driver and no mentions of it.

Ad Dollars??

Well I for one did hit the driver the other day and was so impressed with the 290 driver that I almost walked out with the driver and would have had it not been for the upcoming demo day. I'm really hoping to hit it again at the demo day and find one I truly love.

You know I loved the 270 at the outing. I couldn't believe how stable it felt even with a 39 gram shaft. The mashie is a huge hit and is getting a lot of play on the site right now and I think a good portion of that is because we have testers out there reviewing them and giving us a day by day update on them. I can't wait for them to hit the stores around me this weekend so I can go get reacquainted with all 3(Driver, FW, Mashie)

I too got to hit one of these drivers the other day as well as the Srixon Z Star. These drivers are beasts. I posted a bit about my experience on the Mashie thread, but to summarize... I LOVE MIYASAKI shafts!!! I am looking to put one in the new R11 I won, OR sell it and buy one of these two drivers, still haven't decided.

How does the UL 3W compare with the R11 3W? I know you said how much you loved the R11, I was curious of your opinion about UL 3W as well.

How does the UL 3W compare with the R11 3W? I know you said how much you loved the R11, I was curious of your opinion about UL 3W as well.

I have only hit it sparingly because it is in the hands of another tester here. But in my time with it, I absolutely love it. And watching OEM Kevin hit bomb after bomb with it, makes we wonder if anything could compete.

I'm with you on that, JB. It's almost as though there is a stigma against Cleveland drivers. I just picked up the 3-wood, as I was in the market for one and was blown away by it. If I were in the market for a new driver, the Cleveland would be at the top of my list. They had a demo day at my local range late last year or early this year where I hit the TL310. I really liked it, but only had time to hit a handful of balls. That's probably a good thing, because if I had more time with it, I would probably own one of those too!

could this be because a hybrid is easier to hit and easier to like than a driver? Or that Cleveland doesn't have the 'sexy name' or 'reputation' of a Taylormade, Callaway, or even Nike? That may be a big factor in putting a Miyazaki in their driver line....show the consumer extreme value and performance and slowly build a following that way?

I think you guys both might be right.

I definitely need to try the driver out again. The hybrids and fairways are money.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

I'm not sold on the look of these drivers, but I really really want to try one out. If it works, it'll get a spot!

The thought of a light head with that Miyazaki shaft makes it a bit of a favourite in my head already, and that's a good start.

I am a Taylormade honk but this driver has really sparked my interest. I can't wait to get some swings in with it tomorrow.

Yay, got my SL290 driver in today! Still waiting on my Mashies and 3 wood but they should be here anyday! Can't wait to put it into play!

Yay, got my SL290 driver in today! Still waiting on my Mashies and 3 wood but they should be here anyday! Can't wait to put it into play!

Right on there Kelly!! Hope it all works out well for you!

Back