Does Golf need a Superstar to bring in the Casual Fan?

If golf could get 4 superstars who battled almost every major like Arnold, travino, Watson, And Jack they would have something special
I think we all dream of something like this for sure !! I know I do !

If golf could get 4 superstars who battled almost every major like Arnold, travino, Watson, And Jack they would have something special

Sometimes I think most guys on tour are not really interested in being a superstar. Guys in the Top 50 are happy making $1.6M+ without any of the celebrity or the extra hard work it would required for them to make it to the next level. I can't say I blame them.

Golf is not a lone, there are a lot of the guys in the NBA/MLB that make a lot of $$$ & are not interested in winning a championship.

I wonder if this comes from kids playing sports and Parents and coaches saying " Well, so you lost , winning isn't everything " ???

Casual fans, yes.

True golf fans, debatable. I always check to see how tiger is doing but also check just as much on local golfers like Ryan Moore and Freddi Couples.

Was country music good before Garth, or Baywatch before Pamela??? Sonny before Cher, Calvin without Hobb's? We are nothinging without our superstar's!!!

Country music was fine before Garth! I'm glad he came around though!.

All Baywatch needed was the running. Ahhhhh the running.

Simply put, yes. For me, golf has been more fun to watch with a superstar. I've followed the tour since I could remember, but made sure to tune in when a superstar was in contention because I just knew he was going to do something special.

Golf needs to market the players instead of the game. Yes Tiger is a big star, but I think the wave of new players coming up are going to be bigger. It is way more fun to watch golf on Sunday when anyone in the top 10 can win vs one player being ahead by 18 shots.
We are all entitled to our opinions, but I just don't see this happening. I guess that's "why they play the game". I don't see anyone doing what Tiger was doing when he came onto the scene, let alone "bigger". That's just me though.

Every other sport has a superstar so why cant golf?
Baseball: A-rod, Strasburg
Basketball: Lebron James, Kobe Bryant
Football: Manning, Brady, Vick
Hockey: Crosby, Ovechkin
NASCAR: Earnhardt JR, Johnson

I think golf still needs a superstar to bring in the casual fan. It has to be an American or there will be no interest. The player would also have to dominate the sport as or better than Tiger used to before you have typical americans tuning in to see golf. Any time you hear about golf from a non-golfer, they always mention Tiger woods. Hopefully one of these young guys (Fowler???) will step up and start winning.

I also hate to say it but I think unfortunately it does. All my sons started playing golf this past year. They all want to see Tiger back winning again just because they know the name.However they started playing fantasy golf and we went to the Chevron event a couple months ago and so they are now starting to like a lot more golfers. Fowler, Buba, etc. so that’s good.

Yes, IMHO a superstar is needed to bring in the casual viewer. Most don't care that D.A. Points won the last PGA tournament because they don't even know who he is but Tiger is known around the world.

Sometimes I think most guys on tour are not really interested in being a superstar. Guys in the Top 50 are happy making $1.6M+ without any of the celebrity or the extra hard work it would required for them to make it to the next level. I can't say I blame them.

Golf is not a lone, there are a lot of the guys in the NBA/MLB that make a lot of $$$ & are not interested in winning a championship.

I also think most of them would not like their entire life being so public like Tigers.

I think golf would settle for one right now who consistently showed up, provided a following, and garnered big ratings

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Back