The Movie Review Thread

Letters From Iwo Jima, its similaresque to BoB but set on Iwo. Absolutely outstanding movie, so good it actually kinda hurt at times. It's the one war movie I insist that everyone should watch.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Are you referring to Pacific? Then yes. If you mean something else, then I haven't.
I love it for a lot of the reason that critics hated it. There is no clear main character. There is no real plot. Everything is muddled, confused, and disorganized. Just as how I imagine war actually is.

Yep thats it. I havent seen it yet and not sure if I am or not.

Yep thats it. I havent seen it yet and not sure if I am or not.

Just as good as BOB, if not better. Overall its tough for me to separate the two. Worth your time if you saw and liked BOB

Exactly. I physically own just 5 movies on blu-ray. Everything else I use netflix.

Band of Brothers (while not a movie) is INCREDIBLE on blueray

Band of brothers is possibly the best movie i have ever seen. 10 episodes - of just pure WWII immersion. I have mad respect for anyone who took part in D-Day/WWII - those guys were the real deal. unbelieveable movie.

I somehow knew PACIFIC wasn't going to be as good - because it would be damn near impossible to top the brothers.

War movies are probably my favorite genre. Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, BOB, Pacific, IWO JIMA, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now. Im sure im forgetting a few - What was everyone's thoughts on Hurt Locker? I cant believe it beat out avatar - i should watch it again - maybe i missed something.. bc i didnt think it was that great at all.

I love netflix - the instant queue is awesome - and now i can stream to my ipad too. great!

That documentary was crazy. Nice obscure doc reference.

"This Is It"- I've held off watching this for morbid reasons and I just never agreed with the man's lifestyle, but realized how talented he was. My wife finally got me to break down and his personal issues aside, it shows a side of concert prep that I was unaware of. He was a consummate perfectionist and and superb entertainer. If you are even remotely a fan, watch it.

"The Experiment"- Great thriller with Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker. We grabbed this on a whim and came away enjoying it. It definitely screws with you though.

"Before the Devil Knows Your Dead"- Just a screwed up crime drama that's ended up being one of favorite movies. It's completely twisted. Movie starts out with Marisa Tomei in bed, not a bad start. Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour-Hoffman are fantastic as is Albert Finney. I recommend this to everyone, but I have yet to find someone that likes it as much as me.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was a great flick, Ethan Hawke played his part perfectly and Philip Seymour-Hoffman is always good

I love Christian Bale movies. American Psycho and The Machinist are 2 of my all time favorite movies

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was a great flick, Ethan Hawke played his part perfectly and Philip Seymour-Hoffman is always good

Philip Seymour Hoffman is my all time favorite actor. You should check out Synecdoche, New York if you haven't already.

For whomever is on and reading...sound off, favorite flick. Numero Uno, no ties, no second favorites. You get to watch one movie.

"Shawshank Redemption"

I'd say 'Magnolia' by Paul Thomas Anderson. My all time favorite movie.

Will do Kevin. Speaking of Brad Pitt I watched fight club for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Mind BLOWN. I couldn't beleive how what I thought what the story was all about turned into something completely different near the end, what a great movie.

You should read the book Dent. Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors. I've read most of his stuff. Met him last year. He use to be a mechanic, cool guy.

My favorite movie of all time (boy this is tough):

Easy Rider

You should read the book Dent. Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors. I've read most of his stuff. Met him last year. He use to be a mechanic, cool guy.

I was going to tell Dent that last night. I've read a couple of his books. Some crazy stuff.

I watched Nightwatch last week. It was good. Different than what I expected. Kind of had some comedic elements to it with the truck and Bear and Tiger.

Kevin

I was going to tell Dent that last night. I've read a couple of his books. Some crazy stuff.

I watched Nightwatch last week. It was good. Different than what I expected. Kind of had some comedic elements to it with the truck and Bear and Tiger.

Kevin

Seriously? What did you think? Some people love it, while others hate it. I guess the more appropriate question: will you be watching Daywatch?

I've somehow never seen that movie, I'm such film noob.

Easy Rider

Easy Rider

His books are great. Choke is a great read, far far far better than the Movie. It stared sam rockwell and came out lat year to a very limited release.

His books are great. Choke is a great read, far far far better than the Movie. It stared sam rockwell and came out lat year to a very limited release.

Choke was a good read.....never saw the movie. Thought about watching it, but a lot of folks have said that it's terrible.

Choke was a good read.....never saw the movie. Thought about watching it, but a lot of folks have said that it's terrible.

you didn't miss much. honestly I think you'll like the movie more if youre a Sam Rockwell fan rather than a Palahniuk fan. Sam Rockwell plays the sex addict with a heart of gold incredibly well.
It's funny I think the "twist" in fight club was shown and done better in the movie form(in my opinion). While in Choke he put a "twist" in that was even better than Fight Club's yet it falls flat on it's face in the movie version.

For others: Palahniuk is not a "twist" writer per se, just the two novels I was mentioning. He's no Shymalan, come on the village, really?

Seriously? What did you think? Some people love it, while others hate it. I guess the more appropriate question: will you be watching Daywatch?

It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it. I'll give the other a watch, but will have to order it as it is not a streaming selection. I found myself wanting a little more participation from the Owl lady, and I had to rewind once or twice to make sure I was understanding the whole Vortex and curse sub plot.

I had the Nightwatch book in my hand at the used bookstore again the other day, but didn't pull the trigger. I usually like to read the books first, so now I'm afraid it will be kind of ruined.

Kevin

It didn't blow me away, but I enjoyed it. I'll give the other a watch, but will have to order it as it is not a streaming selection. I found myself wanting a little more participation from the Owl lady, and I had to rewind once or twice to make sure I was understanding the whole Vortex and curse sub plot.

I had the Nightwatch book in my hand at the used bookstore again the other day, but didn't pull the trigger. I usually like to read the books first, so now I'm afraid it will be kind of ruined.

Kevin

I was underwhelmed by it at first as well, and wondered why it was on the radar for many of my "film geek" friends. Luckily I had a russian co-worker shed a little light for me. The books, and subsequent movies, are HUGE in russia. Many of the themes and images draw from russian mythology, beliefs, and superstitions. To her the movie struck a huge chord and was her favorite movie of that year hands down. An effective claim for me due to the fact taht the rest of her favorite movies were romantic comedies that usually involved that heigel chick.
Overall I really enjoyed both movies (shame it was supposed to be a trilogy) but felt I missed out on many things due to the fact I had not read the novels or had any expeirence or knowledge of Russian culture.

Letters From Iwo Jima, its similaresque to BoB but set on Iwo. Absolutely outstanding movie, so good it actually kinda hurt at times. It's the one war movie I insist that everyone should watch.

Have you seen Flags of Our Fathers? It is the american viewpoint on the battle. They were made in conjunction with each other. 2 excellent flicks that Eastwood produced.

Yes and I really enjoyed it as well, but then I stumbled across letters and it blew me away. Watching them b2b is a must.

Have you seen Flags of Our Fathers? It is the american viewpoint on the battle. They were made in conjunction with each other. 2 excellent flicks that Eastwood produced.

ive found that movies based on/inspired by books never live up to the actual book itself
i make it a habit to always watch the movie first
if i read the book first i usually nitpick the movie to death and dont enjoy it

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've seen this trilogy mentioned in many places, the books and the movies. The first one was fanfreakingtastic. I can't wait to watch the next two.

Kevin

Watched Up In The Air. Fantastic. Darkly comedic and thought envoking.

devil... i liked it but most ppl dont like m knight shamalamadingdongs movies

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I've seen this trilogy mentioned in many places, the books and the movies. The first one was fanfreakingtastic. I can't wait to watch the next two.

Kevin

girl who kicked the hornets nest is my favorite. All three are amazing.

devil... i liked it but most ppl dont like m knight shamalamadingdongs movies

It was decent. Better than his other stuff. I liked the Mexican security guard.

Back