How's Your Handicap

How's Your Handicap

• Total voters
If you enter your scores hole by hole, the site probably applies the ESC for you. If you enter a total score only you need to adjust. Not much to it, really.

'Cap of 9 or less No score higher than double bogey.
'Cap of 10-19 No score higher than 7.
'Cap of 20-29 No score higher than 8.
'Cap of 30-39 No score higher than 9.
'Cap of 40-+ No score higher than 10.

That's all there is to it. Keeps a couple blow up holes from raising your 'cap. Like a 12 on the 18th in a big match for instance.

Kevin

I know not of a 12 you speak of, hahaha.

I know not of a 12 you speak of, hahaha.

I'm sure such a thing would never happen to a player of your caliber.

Kevin

I'm sure such a thing would never happen to a player of your caliber.

Kevin

Oh, it happened, and it happened fast and hard. The crappy thing was, I only really hit one shot poorly, my tee shot, it was a snowball effect from there.

Oh, it happened, and it happened fast and hard. The crappy thing was, I only really hit one shot poorly, my tee shot, it was a snowball effect from there.

About five years ago I played in a State Amateur qualifying at my home club. I had been playing well and was optimistic going in. Pouring rain that day. First hole is an uphill then downhill par five. Slight dogleg. I hit a perfect 5W off the tee. Hit another perfect 5W to about 80 yards. Fairway is soaked. Thin a SW over the green into trees. Barely had a swing and I shank my fourth off my cart. 2 stroke penalty. Ball is sitting down in long wet grass. Hit my 7th about a foot. Now its sitting up in long wet grass. Go right under the 8th shot and move it about an inch. Leave the 9th shot on the fringe. By then I'm shaking like a club 'ho' in church. Skull the 10th shot about 15 feet by.

Knock her in for 11. Six over par to start the day. Ended up with 81. Needless to say they held the WI State Amateur that year sans my participation.

Was a really nice putt, though.

Kevin

1. Our association dues include membership to GHIN. The proshop will enter all scores from association events and city tournaments. For all other rounds, I can enter them online or leave the card at the proshop for them to enter.

3. What else do you like about the services that you use?
a. Like AMEX, GHIN is accepted everywhere.
b. GHIN is an "open book". If you have a GHIN handicap, I can look you up and see what your handicap is.
c. GHIN links in with egolfer for statistical tracking. Their tracking is not as goods as other sites I have used. But, I'm not going to do double entry so that I can track all the stats I want AND have an official handicap.

4. Do you think that it's important?
a. It's important if you want to play tournament golf.
b. It's relevant if you like playing golf games and want the matches to be fair.

6. What is your actual handicap? 5.3

About five years ago I played in a State Amateur qualifying at my home club. I had been playing well and was optimistic going in. Pouring rain that day. First hole is an uphill then downhill par five. Slight dogleg. I hit a perfect 5W off the tee. Hit another perfect 5W to about 80 yards. Fairway is soaked. Thin a SW over the green into trees. Barely had a swing and I shank my fourth off my cart. 2 stroke penalty. Ball is sitting down in long wet grass. Hit my 7th about a foot. Now its sitting up in long wet grass. Go right under the 8th shot and move it about an inch. Leave the 9th shot on the fringe. By then I'm shaking like a club 'ho' in church. Skull the 10th shot about 15 feet by.

Knock her in for 11. Six over par to start the day. Ended up with 81. Needless to say they held the WI State Amateur that year sans my participation.

Was a really nice putt, though.

Kevin

Look on the good side. For ESC purposes it was only a 7. :bomb::D

Glad to know that I'm not the only husky lefty to ever grace the scorecard with a massive # when it counted. I've replayed that hole in my mind a thousand times. I wish I would've done things so much differently. I've had to hear about my shaky knees, my being glass joe, etc for a while now. It drives me to an extent, but we had a great time, and I couldn't have done it with a group of better guys than I did that day.

I use the RCGA network to keep track of my official Handicapp. It costs $50 for the year and you just enter in all your scores online or at your club, and you get your official handicap. I play in a couple of events per year that you can only play in if you have an official handicap so that is really the only reason I keep one. Other wise I would use one of the online tools just so I could know what I am hovering around.

Glad to know that I'm not the only husky lefty to ever grace the scorecard with a massive # when it counted. I've replayed that hole in my mind a thousand times. I wish I would've done things so much differently. I've had to hear about my shaky knees, my being glass joe, etc for a while now. It drives me to an extent, but we had a great time, and I couldn't have done it with a group of better guys than I did that day.

On a hole I probably birdied 60% of the time.

Kevin

I keep track of my stats and handicap on a simple Excel spreadsheet I created. The handicap formula is pretty easy and as long as you have the relevant info, it shouldn't be any different than an official one. I don't get to play much as it is, and will never play in anything where an 'official' handicap is needed anyway.

I also keep my stats on the same spreadsheet. I have blank 'scorecards' that I created for the courses that I play so I can enter the round hole-by-hole and get totals and averages for the things I want to keep track of. Then each round goes into the overall yearly total. About the only thing I have to do is update one or two formulas and the total rounds played, and I get my yearly totals and averages. It has been a big help over the last few years to see where I am lacking and what I can do to improve scores. It is also nice to see the improvements in certain categories from year to year.

On a hole I probably birdied 60% of the time.

Kevin

Isn't that the way that it always goes? Still, nice recovery to shoot that score man. It could be worse, you could've been in my position. It really did suck, especially putting a 39 on the card going out.

If you enter your scores hole by hole, the site probably applies the ESC for you. If you enter a total score only you need to adjust. Not much to it, really.

'Cap of 9 or less No score higher than double bogey.
'Cap of 10-19 No score higher than 7.
'Cap of 20-29 No score higher than 8.
'Cap of 30-39 No score higher than 9.
'Cap of 40-+ No score higher than 10.

That's all there is to it. Keeps a couple blow up holes from raising your 'cap. Like a 12 on the 18th in a big match for instance.

Kevin

Equitable Stroke Control

Sorry noob questions, so if you do post a 12 for a hole, you only post the number that relates to your handicap? Sorry, trying to learn about this.

I turn in my scores to a guy in one of my leagues, he uses software to arrive at a handicap. For myself and a few select others I designed and built a SQL Server database and keep scores and stats (GIR,FW,Putts plus averages) using the database. When I show it to people is usually when they realize how deep my golf obsession runs.

Sorry noob questions, so if you do post a 12 for a hole, you only post the number that relates to your handicap? Sorry, trying to learn about this.

Well, if you're using a service, and you put your actual score in, it takes care of it for you. I've never used ESC to mark my scores on a scorecard so I'm not really sure. I always just write down my actual score.

Great topic TC. I entered my scores on Greenskeeper.org for one year, but didn't do really enter anything last year. I joined Fairway Files last year and only entered like four scores, lol. I plan to do all of them on there this year if I can set it up to be in the group with you guy's for the fun factor and help it will give me with the game, but I will also be doing what ever they have at a local course here so I can join men's league there.

Well, if you're using a service, and you put your actual score in, it takes care of it for you. I've never used ESC to mark my scores on a scorecard so I'm not really sure. I always just write down my actual score.

Sorry, that's what I meant, posting to a service. I'll always mark my scorecards to how I did. Looks like I just need to be able to play then I can start figuring all this stuff out.

Sorry, that's what I meant, posting to a service. I'll always mark my scorecards to how I did. Looks like I just need to be able to play then I can start figuring all this stuff out.

Let the computers do it.. much easier my friend!!

Like rhino says, join up on a site that provides this (there are plenty) and once you start playing, just log your actual scores and it will take care of it for you.

I wish there was a way to have this service on THP. One stop shot and we could chose wether or not it showed all of our stats to the group at large.

Oh I will, but I need to get on the course first!

Remember the computer only does it if you enter your score hole by hole. If you don't have a handicap just enter your scores until you have a enough for one to be calculated, then you have to apply the ESC. So if you're a 15, you enter that 12 as a 7 for handicap purposes. But it is 12 as far as your score goes. If you're playing a match and make a 12, you don't get to mark a 7 against your opponent. Your score for the hole is still 12. You lose the hole, unless you're playing TC, then you halve the hole.

You probably shouldn't brag in the bar with ESC adjusted scores. That 96 is not a 91 for bragging rights. LOL.

Kevin

Hey TC, or anyone for that matter, the two sites I use, have my handicap different, only slightly but it is different (23.8 vs 24.1 ) . Any ideas why? I believe I entered everything the same on both sites.

If you don't do hole by hole it can't do ESC accurately, it can't change the 10 you took on a par 4 back down to a 7 or 8 depending on your current handicap

I have just switched mine over from yahoo to OOB. Intrestingly enough, my handicap on OOB is 16.2 and yahoo it was 22.2. Not sure I'm understanding this one. Someone mind explaining how my HC dropped by 6 points? (saying my HC is 16.2 would make me feel like a pure internet golfer)

Back