PGA Tour approves use of mobile devices at events

biggsy

Reaction score
GolfChannel.com Team

Beginning with the Honda Classic in two weeks, patrons will be allowed to carry mobile devices and use them in select areas on the golf course, the PGA Tour announced Tuesday.

Golf Channel reported last November that this move was likely. The Tour tested the new mobile policy at five events, from late 2010 to early 2011.

“We understand that mobile devices are an important part of everyday life.” said Andy Pazder, PGA Tour chief of operations. “We concluded after the five test tournaments, that allowing mobile devices on-site at Tour events was a tremendous fan enhancement, allowing them to stay connected to business and family. We anticipate our fans will be respectful of the policy and as a result the integrity of our competitions will not be compromised.”

The mobile device policy will be implemented on a tournament-by-tournament basis, subject to Tour approval. The four major championships are not Tour sponsored and will have their own policies regarding the use of mobile devices on-site.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/shag-bag/pga-tour-approves-mobile-devices-events-41523/

I'm sure people will say this is a horrible idea, but golf needs this. With the way Twitter, Facebook, this forum, etc. are changing the way people watch sports it's needed to provide that "buzz" that draws in viewers.

My favorite part of this is that they say that taking photos and videos is forbidden.

And how might they police that?

My favorite part of this is that they say that taking photos and videos is forbidden.

I think that's the bigger issue. It's going to be interesting, though if it hasn't been a huge problem during the test phase we'll see how it goes during the rest of the season.

If people put their devices on silent mode then that wouldn't even matter.

If people put their devices on silent mode then that wouldn't even matter.

Its not just about the noise.

Then what the hell is the problem?

Its about copyrights and who gets the video and the pictures. If it was only about sound, they would not have a problem with people taking them now that phones are allowed. But they do still not allow that.

Its about copyrights and who gets the video and the pictures. If it was only about sound, they would not have a problem with people taking them now that phones are allowed. But they do still not allow that.

interesting that it's not a problem in any other professional sporting areana but it is in golf. I did not know that at all.

interesting that it's not a problem in any other professional sporting areana but it is in golf. I did not know that at all.

Check again. Read the back of the ticket at many professional games about videoing content.

That's a new one to me. I suppose the PGA could stake a claim to a picture or video that you took? How does it work for media that take picture and put in their newspapers, etc? The media owns that material?

Check again. Read the back of the ticket at many professional games about videoing content.

ok, lol

every big sporting event/concert i've ever been to doesn't police that. it's stuff like this that is hurting the pga tour, not just the economic climate.

ok, lol

every big sporting event/concert i've ever been to doesn't police that. it's stuff like this that is hurting the pga tour, not just the economic climate.

Exactly.

yes...look at the pictures in the paper or even online sometimes. Getty Images is huge for copyrights and copyrighted material
That's a new one to me. I suppose the PGA could stake a claim to a picture or video that you took? How does it work for media that take picture and put in their newspapers, etc? The media owns that material?

yes...look at the pictures in the paper or even online sometimes. Getty Images is huge for copyrights and copyrighted material
I guess I am asking why patrons wouldn't own their own material then?

The PGA Tour could do just the same thing as Getty Images and hire an outside firm such as PicScout to check for people using their images, no?

Oh in that case I would think that they would own their material until they tried to use it for commercial means. Once that happened the PGA could possibly claim the rights to those pictures since they were taken at a PGA event
I guess I am asking why patrons wouldn't own their own material then?

they could but how much would that be worth the expense vs. the end result?
The PGA Tour could do just the same thing as Getty Images and hire an outside firm such as PicScout to check for people using their images, no?

Oh in that case I would think that they would own their material until they tried to use it for commercial means. Once that happened the PGA could possibly claim the rights to those pictures since they were taken at a PGA event
Oh that makes sense, thanks.

they could but how much would that be worth the expense vs. the end result?

I think it's very much worth the expense since you're talking about something that has to do with drawing more fans to events, their website, and their coverage on TV. But, this entails all sorts of complicated legalities and I don't want to act as if I know all of them. I would just like to see the PGA Tour continue to grow and bring in more fans.

If i got the chance to go to a PGA event where many big names were playing, (woods, mickelson, d johnson, etc.) I know I couldnt resist the urge to take photos and video of them. But I would darn sure make sure that my flash/sound was off!

There are lots of interesting articles concerning these types of problems that have to do with the lawsuit Sam Keller has brought against the video game company EA. It's worth a Google if you're interested.

that's exactly what I was thinkig about when I said 'ends vs. the means' Is it worth jumping through all those hoops, etc. If the PGA was being viewed as being a buzzkill on enforcing the policy that press would be worse than to not aloow the devices at all in the first place. my thoughts anyway...
I think it's very much worth the expense since you're talking about something that has to do with drawing more fans to events, their website, and their coverage on TV. But, this entails all sorts of complicated legalities and I don't want to act as if I know all of them. I would just like to see the PGA Tour continue to grow and bring in more fans.

Yeah getting into The Masters and The Players was pretty much like going through airport security. Take everything out of your pockets and check any bags. The Masters had walk through metal detectors and wands... The Players was just wands last time I went. They were really serious about phones even during practice rounds. At The Masters they have several areas where you could make phone calls that were free. The Heritage they were happy to see people which you can almost walk in there without a ticket. I've taken my phone in last several years but it was only during practice round.

Yeah getting into The Masters and The Players was pretty much like going through airport security. Take everything out of your pockets and check any bags. The Masters had walk through metal detectors and wands... The Players was just wands last time I went. They were really serious about phones even during practice rounds. At The Masters they have several areas where you could make phone calls that were free. The Heritage they were happy to see people which you can almost walk in there without a ticket. I've taken my phone in last several years but it was only during practice round.

I've gone through full gates for The Players before. Usually just wands, though. Might depend on which gate you use.

I am very glad they did this. Just not practical in the modern world. I think most people who go to a tournament are more than willing to turn off their ringers.

They even have different types of media privileges. You have to have the proper sticker on your camera to take pictures and the type of badge and sticker you have will determine where you are allowed to stand to take those pictures.

Back