SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I am not one to work the ball too much at this stage of my game, but there have been times when I wish I had a cut shot in my bag. I have tried to do this by opening up my stance and opening the face of the club and trying to put more of an outside in stroke on the ball, but I am never accurate with this shot.

I play a draw and my miss is a push that doesn't draw back in. I would love to know how to play a cut when the situation dictates that I should.

Thanks Andy!

I have the same issue, looking forward to Andy's reply!

The first thing to look at would be one of the original THP TV episodes. We did a working the ball episode. The technique that we went over is more of a recovery shot type, not a fade or draw to a tucked pin. I think it is worth the watch, and I apologize you will have to dig through the TV and Radio tab (THP TV is towards the end).

IF you cannot find it try this simple setup thought. At setup set the club face (aim the face) at your intended target. From here aim (set your feet) to your opening. This will set you up open. From here make a swing and watch the ball cut for you. Let me know if you need more on this topic.

The first thing to look at would be one of the original THP TV episodes. We did a working the ball episode. The technique that we went over is more of a recovery shot type, not a fade or draw to a tucked pin. I think it is worth the watch, and I apologize you will have to dig through the TV and Radio tab (THP TV is towards the end).

IF you cannot find it try this simple setup thought. At setup set the club face (aim the face) at your intended target. From here aim (set your feet) to your opening. This will set you up open. From here make a swing and watch the ball cut for you. Let me know if you need more on this topic.

Andy, does this mean take your normal swing? If you usually have a flat, inside out swing, will that still produce a cut with that kind of set up?

I don't want you to change the feel of your swing. The setup has you with an open stance and face so it will produce a cut. Try it out on the range and you will be surprised at how well the ball moves. You can hit a draw with the same basic principals. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

I don't want you to change the feel of your swing. The setup has you with an open stance and face so it will produce a cut. Try it out on the range and you will be surprised at how well the ball moves. You can hit a draw with the same basic principals. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

OK thanks, I always feel as if I double cross myself when trying it.

Were you seeing some double crosses or did it just feel that way?

Were you seeing some double crosses or did it just feel that way?

It would feel wierd and I would end up missing left, which could be alignment and some other issues. Next time I am able to get to an outdoor range I will give it a shot.

Just trust it. My normal flight is slight draw and when I open my stance for the cut I will hit it straight or slight fade. It will take a little practice because you may have a tendency to compensate for the openness in your stance by an over the top pull or increased hand action.

went to an outside range yesterday and was able to hit some nice cuts/fades. I had no problems moving the ball from Left to Right.

Awesome! Once you have a feel for it you need to trust that the adjustments that you make will produce the shot you are trying to play.

Back