Grip Weight vs. Club Swing Weight

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
A while ago in the Mashie Reviewers thread, the issue was asked about changing the stock grip on the Mashie. The person was warned that changing the grip, seeing as the Mashie has a light-weight grip, to something heavier would impact the swing weight of the club.

I bring this up again as I am looking at maybe changing my grips in the near future and am wondering about the statement above. How much difference does it make to a club when you change the grip? I'm having problems wrapping my head around the fact if you change the weight of grip you change the swing weight. The grip is in your hands and at that point the majority of the club's weight is extending away (to the club head) from the player.

Thanks in advance.

I am also interested in the answers to this question. I have the Mashie M5 with the M4 on the way. I prefer to play with an oversized grip. I usually re-grip my clubs with the Winn DSI +1/8 grips. I was thinking that because of the light shaft of the Mashie that I should use the Winn Lite +1/8 instead. Thanks for asking the question 9-iron.

Steven

Any thoughts on this or am I completely out to lunch on the concept?

Don't be afraid to experiment!

No takers on this? Just looking for a little info....

From Golfsmith, Information on Swingweight

"By increasing the weight of the golf grip by 4 grams, the swingweight will be decreased by one swingweight point (decrease from D4 to D3, for example). Conversely, by decreasing the weight of the golf grip by 4 grams, the swingweight will be increased by one swingweight point."

Most grip manufacturers have specs on their grips on their websites.

No takers on this? Just looking for a little info....

The smallest change on a golf club like the grip really affects the swingweight, im at work so i cant post the link, if you go to sandbox8.com, I think, they show just how drastically the swingweight can change just from adding a dollar bill to the club...

"By increasing the weight of the golf grip by 4 grams, the swingweight will be decreased by one swingweight point (decrease from D4 to D3, for example). Conversely, by decreasing the weight of the golf grip by 4 grams, the swingweight will be increased by one swingweight point."

I've got the stock VR grips (53g) on my irons. I'm thinking of maybe going to the New Decade or VDR grips (46.5g and 50g respectively). So what results should I see?

The smallest change on a golf club like the grip really affects the swingweight, im at work so i cant post the link, if you go to sandbox8.com, I think, they show just how drastically the swingweight can change just from adding a dollar bill to the club...

I put one of the new Winn Lite grips on my driver near the end of last season, and it really seemed to mess with my tempo. Going to give it a few rounds this season just to be sure it wasn't just me (which it very well could have been) and it may be coming off.

Last edited:
I out one of the new Winn Lite grips on my driver near the end of last season, and it really seemed to mess with my tempo. Going to give it a few rounds this season just to be sure it wasn't just me (which it very well could have been) and it may be coming off.

I have a jumbo grip on my driver and standard grips in my irons....and for the life of me IDK why I prefer it that way

I've got the stock VR grips (53g) on my irons. I'm thinking of maybe going to the New Decade or VDR grips (46.5g and 50g respectively). So what results should I see?

From what you're written you'll have 2 point swingweight increase with the New Decades and 1 SW increase with the VDR. That means the clubhead will feel heavier.

From what you're written you'll have 2 point swingweight increase with the New Decades and 1 SW increase with the VDR. That means the clubhead will feel heavier.

So performance wise, what does this mean?

While I think this is an overall good topic for people to be aware of, 9I, if I were you I would not worry about it one bit. Once your swing comes around to a repeatable factor, you will tinker with more things and get fit with more things to find out exactly what works for you. But in my opinion (and maybe only mine), I think you might be overthinking this issue a little bit. Find grips that work for you and then work on getting the swing tuned.

While I think this is an overall good topic for people to be aware of, 9I, if I were you I would not worry about it one bit. Once your swing comes around to a repeatable factor, you will tinker with more things and get fit with more things to find out exactly what works for you. But in my opinion (and maybe only mine), I think you might be overthinking this issue a little bit. Find grips that work for you and then work on getting the swing tuned.

Thanks, JB. I've to overly concerned with it all at really. Just trying to expand my knowledge base. I never thought of it before I read it in the Mashie thread and was curious about it to see if it would make a huge difference or not. It seems like it won't really, but again, I'm interested in learning these things. The more you know... you know?

I'm glad you posted this JB.
Like so many other things I've learned from this site, I've learned too much and now think about things too much. It may be one thing for me to think about all the different specs when looking for a club, but it's another to forget them all when actually trying clubs to see which one actually works for me, regardless of what numbers are behind it.

So when I went from a 50g Lampkin to a 25g Winn Lite grip on my 3W, its swingweight went up 6 points? Wow.
Actually, the swingweight only went up 3 points, as I used a RotoZip to cut 1/2" off the shaft!
By increasing the length of the golf shaft by one-half inch, the swingweight will be increased by three swingweight points (increase from D2 to D5, for example). Conversely, by decreasing the length of the golf shaft by one-half inch, the swingweight will be decreased by three swingweight points.

So, if I start wearing a gps watch, how much would that change the swingweight...?

It won't, and as far as functional swingweight goes, grip doesn't really either.

Back