Forward Press or not?

• Yes, always

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • Never

Votes: 37 41.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 17 19.1%

• Total voters
a very gentle forward press, usually when I feel like I'm having an issue with getting through the ball and I'm not getting the roll I want from my putts.

I have went back and forth on this. I haven't used it with my SeeMore (and I'm finally putting well) but I slightly FP'd with my ghost.

I always forward press on my putts, and because of that I have more than standard loft on my putter. I'm putting with a Rossa Corza Ghost putter at 5 degrees of loft, stock is 4 degrees of loft. If you forward press on your putts and find yourself struggling with distance control, you may be reducing the loft at impact too much, which means you will be driving the ball into the ground instead of the ball skipping over the ground at the start of a putt.

I always forward press with the putter. They say you want -3* of loft at impact on putts. Michael Breed did a whole hour on Golf Fix either this week or last week on putting. It's worth a watch.

yeah thats why i posted this thread

I have a baby forward press. Nothing much, just a hair.

Do you guys forward press your putter or not? if so do you feel like its helping you?

I do, make sure your putter has atleast 4* of loft. Mine's got 5 cuz it drops to 3.5-4* when I press.

Always. De-lofts the putter just a bit to skip me from skipping the ball, and also helps get the back of my right hand (lefty) going at the target. I forward press on every golf shot I hit. I think it helps square and de-loft the club face at impact. It also helps with a smooth takeaway and leads to a proper loading of the club as it nears the top of the back swing. I learned that 30+ years ago, and my daughter learns the same thing right now from the same coach.

Kevin

+1 with all shots not just the putter. Jack Nicklaus used it to set his swing in motion so who am I to argue that?

+1 with all shots not just the putter. Jack Nicklaus used it to set his swing in motion so who am I to argue that?

+2 can't argue with the golden bear. Plus when I'm struggling with my irons I always go back to a forward press.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

That's a very VERY small forward press.

From the iPhone.

on a 34" shaft is comes out to roughly a 1/4" forward motion with the hand. Yeah its a very very small forward press, to be honest I didn't know I was doing it at first. I make an actuall real forward press on my full swings. Right before I begin my putting stroke, my right hand goes from limp and loose to slightly tighter as I apply a little pressure on the grip. This somehow creates a slight forward press that I've been doing for years. not intentional but there none the less

I like the press on my putts. It works well for me actually. I've learned if I over do it I can misdirect my putt but that happens if I don't press. I just mess up less often and getter better contact more frequently.

I did before I got a Backstrike putter. Now I dont need to. But I do on my irons.

just put it in the hole baby! don't over think it......

I've dabbaled with the press before with some success... It seems when I try it, it works great for a few rounds then goes south. That's when I usually give it up. I think this season I'll try to work with it all year (good or bad)... just to "give it a real chance".

just slightly for me. Nothing like Phil Mickelson though

I started doing it a few years ago. I practiced on the putting mat over the winter, just doing nothing but repeating the stroke with the press. It certainly helped keep the head on line better, and as a result my consistency increased. That season I could go several rounds without 3 putting or missing the tricky 2-3 footers that caused me grief before. So, call me a convert to it.

No. Never. Forward press is inconsistent, no matter what you think you do, how do you KNOW you press the exact same amount every time? You don't. Plus, if its different even by a bit you will be de-lofting your putter a different about and that WILL effect the roll. That is also a part of why so many times a forward pressers are usually streakier, either hot as can be, or ice cold.

Opinions differ of course and everyone rolls the rock their own way, but its what I believe, and what was proven to my by my SPi instructor.

No. Never. Forward press is inconsistent, no matter what you think you do, how do you KNOW you press the exact same amount every time? You don't. Plus, if its different even by a bit you will be de-lofting your putter a different about and that WILL effect the roll. That is also a part of why so many times a forward pressers are usually streakier, either hot as can be, or ice cold.

Opinions differ of course and everyone rolls the rock their own way, but its what I believe, and what was proven to my by my SPi instructor.

I am a believer now for sure!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Well said, I don't either. I actually have more of a Zach Johnson thing going on lately, and it works!!!

I've just always believed I have enough inconsistencies in my game, I don't need any more.

Well said Jman... I think this is my problem... It's not consistent...I'll have a few good rounds them a few bad rounds... and that's usually when I stop using it.

My SeeMore and I don't subscribe to the forward press philosophy. There was a time long ago that I did and I feel that it just added and extra moving part to what should be the most simple move in golf. Set up square, hide the dot, make a natural arc and let the club deliver the ball to the cup. SeeMore putts drop!

I don't see why not. I forward press a bit with the claw. Before the claw I forward pressed a bunch. I find it helps me keep the face square a bit better. I don't think forward pressing is bad in any way, no matter what anyone says. There's pros that forward press. So I'd say it's good enough for everyone else should they choose it.

My SeeMore and I don't subscribe to the forward press philosophy. There was a time long ago that I did and I feel that it just added and extra moving part to what should be the most simple move in golf. Set up square, hide the dot, make a natural arc and let the club deliver the ball to the cup. SeeMore putts drop!

The SPi method has really helped me and eliminated my forward press.

I use a belly putter so no forward press for me.

Back