Cast vs Forged - The Master Debate

Psssssssh. I'm gonna go forged. Can't we all get along????????

Let me say right here I have not read this entire thread.

Here is my question - do you see a day coming that irons will have inserts in the face? I think inserts have intriguing possibilities, and surely metallurgical technology has reach a point where combinations of metals and/or other materials can be used to build "iron" clubheads, much as the way it has happened with drivers and putters. I seem to remember a line of irons called Black Turbo (Mizuno?) that were a graphite/cast combo, but I don't think they caught on at that time.

Well TM put wedges out last year with replaceable faces. I don't see full sets of irons doing that though.

Let me say right here I have not read this entire thread.

Here is my question - do you see a day coming that irons will have inserts in the face? I think inserts have intriguing possibilities, and surely metallurgical technology has reach a point where combinations of metals and/or other materials can be used to build "iron" clubheads, much as the way it has happened with drivers and putters. I seem to remember a line of irons called Black Turbo (Mizuno?) that were a graphite/cast combo, but I don't think they caught on at that time.

I have to admit I was hoping JB would weigh in on this question...

I have to admit I was hoping JB would weigh in on this question...

JB is a little busy at the PGA show, SS. With doing that and uploading photos, it might be a little while before he starts surfing the forum to heavily. I'm sure he'll weigh in, it just might be a few days.

:dohanim: Didnt think of that...

No worries SS, I will give my thoughts as soon as the show ends. In fact I will ask a few of the R&D people we talk to about it.

:cool: Awesome!

Amazing how fast a thread can get buried .... Thought I would bring this one back to the top and see if JB learned anything of interest....

Amazing how fast a thread can get buried .... Thought I would bring this one back to the top and see if JB learned anything of interest....

Learned a lot and will have something very very soon. The man that was "copied" or whatever someone wants to call it has decided against putting something out there because of how his words were already put down here and shown as someone elses. But I have a really good clubmaker putting something together right this minute.

This is a really interesting topic. I am assuming that when we say insert we are referring to an insert like what we see in a putter, something on the face of the club. Surely if we were talking about the other side of the club inserts or i guess we would call them plugs have already been done ala' the Mizuno MP-58's for one. You would think that an insert on the face would have to be designed such that it would cover just about the entire face since off center strikes would be a real problem I would think. You surely would not want to strike the ball on a seam between the insert and the rest of the face.

At any rate, a really interesting topic. Looking forward to JB's post when he puts it up.

Nothin like the buttery soft feel of a cast iron when struck properly. These Machspeed irons feel as soft as any forged club. Man. Pure bliss!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The insert issue is interesting. Looking at TM's new upcoming irons, I noticed that the CB is cast, with a forged face. I could see something like this coming about pretty regularly.

That said, I love the "springy", soft feel of hitting my VR full cavities. On the verge of pulling the trigger with the JPX 800 Pros (the bag in my sig is the tentative bag for 2011). Once I've really had a chance to hit the pros (I've only hit them a handful of time, and was more interested in the numbers than the feel), I'll put in my $.02

Bringing this thread back up. How do the new TM testers feel about the difference between forged and cast now? Does anyone feel like they can tell a difference?

Im not sure if I heard correct, but the CBs have a fast CAST body and a forged head? Interesting combo.

Yesterday was the first time Ive been able to do any kind of cast vs forged comparison at the range and what I found was interesting. There was definitely a difference between the Burner 2.0's and the TM CB's. There was just a solid sound and feel from the CB's that wasnt there with the Burners. Was this cast vs forged? Very good question.

Yesterday was the first time Ive been able to do any kind of cast vs forged comparison at the range and what I found was interesting. There was definitely a difference between the Burner 2.0's and the TM CB's. There was just a solid sound and feel from the CB's that wasnt there with the Burners. Was this cast vs forged? Very good question.

Going to echo OEM's thoughts on this. To date my only experience with the cast v forge debate has been with wedges where there is an absolute difference in feel etc. Yesterday I hit the cb forged against my okd nemesis, the Burner 2.0. Feel and accuracy was undoubtedly better with the CB forged while distance was markedly better with the 2.0. Definitely an interesting debate that there may never be an answer for

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

Going to echo OEM's thoughts on this. To date my only experience with the cast v forge debate has been with wedges where there is an absolute difference in feel etc. Yesterday I hit the cb forged against my okd nemesis, the Burner 2.0. Feel and accuracy was undoubtedly better with the CB forged while distance was markedly better with the 2.0. Definitely an interesting debate that there may never be an answer for

The question for me I suppose is the distance lost a result of shorter shafts and weaker lofts, or the fact that they are forged? I would imagine that if you built the CB's with the same length shafts and lofts of the 2.0s they would be very similar in distance.

The question for me I suppose is the distance lost a result of shorter shafts and weaker lofts, or the fact that they are forged? I would imagine that if you built the CB's with the same length shafts and lofts of the 2.0s they would be very similar in distance.

I think its the shafts and lofts. But theres no denying the feel that these clubs have and from what it sounds like theyre not even a true forged head. Maybe its the screw.

Might be a combo of both. Plus the clubface/club head isn't as large as the 2.0 so that may be something as well

I do agree that most probably cannot feel a difference b/w forged and cast. However, isn't there an advantage to forged in that you can bend the loft and lies? Isn't breakage a sincere possibility with trying to bend a cast iron?

Back