What's the optimal driver launch angle!

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
I was hitting the TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 (9.5 Stiff) at Golf Town last week and their out of date simulator was telling me a ball speed of 170 or so which their conversion chart told me that is a swing speed around 110.

The launch angle was averaging around 10 or 11 degrees on these shots, then it was suggesting a few 300 to 305 yd shots!

I wonder about the accuracy of that number because the higher it is, the more excited you get about a product haha... I have a Bridgestone J33R 8.5 X-Stiff that I do not hit 300 yards, usually around 260.

I have never been fitted for a driver so maybe I can in fact hit it 300 with a more suitable club, but I'm going to hit it again at another GT location that has a range as well to see the real deal.

Long story short, I'm watching the TaylorMade promo video on their website that has their pros hitting the new Burner and talking about it. The TM guy is reading off launch angles of 20 degrees or so and 2100 rpm spin if I remember correctly.

If that simulator is telling me 10 degrees launch gives me 300 yards, why is TM saying 20 degrees is a good thing in this commercial, I do hear the high launch low spin thing about drivers, so I'm guessing the simulator is just way off haha...

Any feedback would be great, thanks for reading the stretched out version here :)

Jeff

It is hard to say exactly what the optimal launch angle for you is because is all depends on ss and spin rate. For me with a 100-105 ss and 3900 rpm's my ideal launch angle is about 14 degrees, if you have a higher ss that angle should be lower.

just found a little website with a chart saying 100+ swing speed means you are looking for 10-15 degrees, so it's starting to make more sense now :) coolbreeze are you playing golf this weekend? Bluebird skies over here on the mainland! Heading out for a round with my buddy in a few minutes!

just found a little website with a chart saying 100+ swing speed means you are looking for 10-15 degrees, so it's starting to make more sense now :) coolbreeze are you playing golf this weekend? Bluebird skies over here on the mainland! Heading out for a round with my buddy in a few minutes!

I have a lesson today and then golf tomorrow. Where are you playing?

I think it's completely an individual thing

I found this chart on google images which is what I had understood it to be. On a perfect strike with a driver, your ball speed will be 1.5 times your clubhead speed.

post-17212-1175593825-1.jpg

Good stuff. I sometimes struggle with swaying and delofting my driver. Good to see what numbers are optimal. Thanks.

Keep in mind that GT really jacks up their simulator to sell clubs. I have seen many people with UGLY swings hitting straight and 300 yards. Never would happen.

That being said, bring in your Bridgestone, and hit compared to that. That way you will have baseline info comparing apples to apples.

Same thing Dicks does, every shot is a baby draw at 300 yards.

Thanks for the chart Thainer...very helpful!

Awesome information, thanks for the chat Thainer

Thanks for the chart Thainer, looks like I'm about right at 13 degrees. Sweet!!

Keep in mind that GT really jacks up their simulator to sell clubs. I have seen many people with UGLY swings hitting straight and 300 yards. Never would happen.

Why didn't they do it for me? I would have gained some confidence. :D

I don't think such allegations should be made without some solid evidence.

Yes, that chart is pretty close. A clubfitter should be trying to get those numbers on a launch monitor.

What are the OPTIMAL driver launch numbers?

What are the OPTIMAL driver launch numbers?

I was just trying some drivers on a launch monitor and I'm pretty spinny. For the most part I was seeing 4500+ rpm with the R11 and Superfast 2.0 with R and S shafts. If I remember correctly, these were my typical numbers:

SS: 98 mph
Ball speed: 143 mph
Spin: 4500+ rpm
Carry: 245 yards
Total: 260 yards

Im no expert but with 4500+ rpm's, Thats basically a ball thats just going to drop straight down from the sky because thats a ton of backspin, so not sure how you got 15 yards of roll, but then again im not a club fitter. I think its suppose to be around the 2700-3300 range area. Impressive that you got 265 total with a 98 mph SS.

Merged with a recent thread.

Im no expert but with 4500+ rpm's, Thats basically a ball thats just going to drop straight down from the sky because thats a ton of backspin, so not sure how you got 15 yards of roll, but then again im not a club fitter. I think its suppose to be around the 2700-3300 range area. Impressive that you got 265 total with a 98 mph SS.

I was thinking about the same. I'm seeing 96 MPH with 2800 rpm's and seeing similar distances. I would think it hard to sustain the distance with that much spin unless very high launch maybe?

Having the right shaft on your driver can make a world of difference. I also believe in club spining. Having a club shaft with the right kick point can affect the trajectory or launch angle and your swing speed which alters distance.

As for myself, I've always used a 10.5. If I was handed a 9.5 degree, I would still crush it. I think the 1 degree is mental for most of us for drivers but nobody freaks at the difference between a 4 iron and a 9 iron...

I have about a 90mph swing speed and have a 11.5 degreer. I hit the ball low naturally, anything I should be doing???

I have about a 90mph swing speed and have a 11.5 degreer. I hit the ball low naturally, anything I should be doing???

The easiest thing is get fit to make sure that you have optimal launch numbers.

Back