Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez it sound's like you guys have a truckload to pay in student loans.. I guess that's true because school costs a truck load more in the states.

Dent, University isn't for everyone mate. I know in Canada and espcially out west everyone is told go to uni, go to uni by really, it's not suited to everyone. Don't go and do something you don't like just because it's the standard practice. Also, don't worry about your degrees in and the field your in. I have a degree in Medical ethics, another in Criminialistics and Logistics but I work in the IT field as a project manager. What you're degree is in doesn't lock you into a career. I have a friend with his masters in mechanical engineering who drives a cab because he finds it more enjoyable then sitting at a drafting table all day.

Long story short
A: You don't have to go to Uni, there are plenty of other options out there for you

B: If you do go, don't try to pigeon hole yourself by the degree you get. As one of my favorite professors constantly said "We're not giving you any knowledge you couldn't get on your own. We're just training you to think in a different method that *might* help you in the future"

C: If you're bored, get a job. I wouldn't recommend what I did to anyone but working on two degrees with a full time job means I was never bored for 3 years and came out with no student loan debt to pay back.

Whatever you decide mate I wish you much luck and lots of success!

Dent, University isn't for everyone mate. I know in Canada and espcially out west everyone is told go to uni, go to uni by really, it's not suited to everyone. Don't go and do something you don't like just because it's the standard practice. Also, don't worry about your degrees in and the field your in. I have a degree in Medical ethics, another in Criminialistics and Logistics but I work in the IT field as a project manager. What you're degree is in doesn't lock you into a career. I have a friend with his masters in mechanical engineering who drives a cab because he finds it more enjoyable then sitting at a drafting table all day.

Long story short
A: You don't have to go to Uni, there are plenty of other options out there for you

B: If you do go, don't try to pigeon hole yourself by the degree you get. As one of my favorite professors constantly said "We're not giving you any knowledge you couldn't get on your own. We're just training you to think in a different method that *might* help you in the future"

C: If you're bored, get a job. I wouldn't recommend what I did to anyone but working on two degrees with a full time job means I was never bored for 3 years and came out with no student loan debt to pay back.

Whatever you decide mate I wish you much luck and lots of success!

Well said Tuna, and I agree 100%. I went to University because I was supposed to and got a degree in Statistics with a minor in mathematics. After 1 week of working in that field I quit and started bartending again because it was awful. I now manage a teritory for a company that does corporate security systems, nothing like my degree. A 4 year degree gives you an education, almost no training for any particular job, it just shows employers that you can dedicate yourself to something and are reasonably educated. Good luck Dent!

Go to college, Dent. Study something you like and worry about a job later, but go to college. You're obviously a smart kid, and if you don't, you'll more than likely be pissed at yourself when you're 40.

Kevin

All great advice guys, I mean I started now I might as well finish. The only thing I was thinking is perhaps taking a year off and perhaps I'll be more mature and ready to go back and fully commit myself to actually realize what school is worth.

I think when I'm a little older I'll take it more seriously.

Go to college, Dent. Study something you like and worry about a job later, but go to college. You're obviously a smart kid, and if you don't, you'll more than likely be pissed at yourself when you're 40.

Kevin

I would never advocate not going to college at all and loved my time there. I think Tuna and I were just saying that it is not the be all and end all, and you can be successful in life in a field outside of the field in which you got your degree.

All great advice guys, I mean I started now I might as well finish. The only thing I was thinking is perhaps taking a year off and perhaps I'll be more mature and ready to go back and fully commit myself to actually realize what school is worth.

I think when I'm a little older I'll take it more seriously.

I did that after my first two years. Then worked in a factory as a machinist for a year. Actually enjoyed the work itself, but hated the union, and hated a bunch of the lazy bastards I worked with that hid behind the union.

Showed me how good college students have it. So I went back for another four years. LOL. Took classes I liked, managed a restaurant, and enjoyed the college experience.

Kevin

...were just saying that it is not the be all and end all, and you can be successful in life in a field outside of the field in which you got your degree.

I agree with this completely. Hell, I have a degree in English. Not a lot of money in Englishing, but my writing skills have served me well and I've always been gainfully employed. One thing every college graduate should be able to do is communicate. If you can communicate verbally and in writing, you can find a job. I'm old, so some IT skills probably help too, but that has come about since my college days.

Kevin

just don't become a coach.... you don't sleep when you lose.... you don't sleep when you win...... you're a zombie for the entire season.

I hate it when people don't think out their emails! Then they send you tons of revisions that get annoying after a while!!! Especially one word revisions!

Taking apart my WOLF range and hood fan today for cleaning. Ugh.

Kevin

Taking apart my WOLF range and hood fan today for cleaning. Ugh.

Kevin

I feel your pain. I have a honey do list for today and some of it is almost as bad as that.

I swear to god my mom should have gone in commentary for a career. She does this every morning when I'm trying to sleep she does not stop talking. Everyone is trying to do their own thing and she just yells throughout the whole house. It's fine when I'm up but when I'm trying to get some shut eye it drives me insane. She talks about the most pointless stuff.

I swear to god my mom should have gone in commentary for a career. She does this every morning when I'm trying to sleep she does not stop talking. Everyone is trying to do their own thing and she just yells throughout the whole house. It's fine when I'm up but when I'm trying to get some shut eye it drives me insane. She talks about the most pointless stuff.

Maybe shes trying to tell you something :eyepoke:

Maybe shes trying to tell you something :eyepoke:

If she wanted to wake me up she can come in and do it that's perfectly fine. If I wasn't paying attention it would probably sound like this from her:

"Annnnd I'm going down the stairs, sharp left turn down the second staircase. Laundry basket in my hand wow I just have perfect form. Into the laundry room.. SLAM DUNK the clothes get tossed to the floor!" "She's really putting a beating on the laundry today but with that sickness I don't know how long it will be before she gets fatigued." "Running into the bedroom and swiftly into bed, it's time for a sudoku break. What a great performance by mom"

If she wanted to wake me up she can come in and do it that's perfectly fine. If I wasn't paying attention it would probably sound like this from her:

"Annnnd I'm going down the stairs, sharp left turn down the second staircase. Laundry basket in my hand wow I just have perfect form. Into the laundry room.. SLAM DUNK the clothes get tossed to the floor!" "She's really putting a beating on the laundry today but with that sickness I don't know how long it will be before she gets fatigued." "Running into the bedroom and swiftly into bed, it's time for a sudoku break. What a great performance by mom"

Thats pretty funny stuff.

Breeze it pretty much feels that if your significant other came into the bedroom and poured water all over your face. 11:05 maybe it's time to get up anyways.

Well my son normally wakes me up my "accidentally" hitting me in the nuts climing into the bed so I would take your moms play by play over that any day.

My girlfriend wakes me up by looking for her sleep socks that usually fall off in the night. Her hands are always cold, and the socks always end up under my knees. Never a good feeling.
Well my son normally wakes me up my "accidentally" hitting me in the nuts climing into the bed so I would take your moms play by play over that any day.

My girlfriend wakes me up by looking for her sleep socks that usually fall off in the night. Her hands are always cold, and the socks always end up under my knees. Never a good feeling.

Thats pretty bad too. Get some elastic for those bad boys.

Grease.

Only the charbroiler pieces to go.

Kevin

I'm done. Man, that's a bear. Great having a big, powerful range and hood. Not so great having to clean one.

Kevin

I'm done. Man, that's a bear. Great having a big, powerful range and hood. Not so great having to clean one.

Kevin

Nice work Kevin, reward yourself with a cold beer and some poutine.

Don't think thats available to them.

Dude. Fries, gravy, and cheese curds? You think we don't have cheese curds? I live in The Dairy State. I have a specialty grocery/cheese shop two minutes from my house that brings 'em in fresh every day. A monkey could make poutine.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back