Great Bunker Help w/ Tour Player

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Sand traps bother a lot of golfers, so we wanted to ask a tour player for some instruction. Here is LPGA star Meredith Duncan giving some great advice to Golfer Gal on how to handle the bunker.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12543

Very cool! My sand game is nowhere where it should be. I have problems on my follow through, I just can't do it effectively. Great video, very informative!

She sure had that distinctive THUMP to her bunker play ! Nice instruction from Meredith .
Looks like poor GG got a face full of sand on her practice shot .

She sure had that distinctive THUMP to her bunker play ! Nice instruction from Meredith .
Looks like poor GG got a face full of sand on her practice shot .

I actually didn't. However, a few holes later I was in the bunker again and not only did I get a face full of sand but I somehow managed to get it on the golf cart too. But I got out of the sand thanks to Meredith's help and that is all that matters!

that's a nice video. I too like the ice cream scoop analgy. I spent a lot of hours working on my sand game last year.

That's a really good video, I've never heard the ice cream scoop analogy before but it's very true and will be something I will use myself!

Nice vid, similar stuff to what I'm working on with my pro atm too

Loved the video, how cool is that to get a lesson from a LPGA professional like that. I have no idea why, but bunkers have never been a real problem for me, other than at the outing last year, lol. Someone showed me how to let the sand push the ball out with the blade slightly open and it really worked.

18th hole, same place TC got the infamous 12, I plugged my approach in the TOP of the right bunker. Had to stand on solid ground above the ball and bladed that into the bunker on the other side, haha. To say the least TC wasn't the only one to get beat up on that hole.

I'll have to think about that the next time I'm in the bunker. For some reason my ball was a bunker magnet the last few rounds I played in 2010.

Awsome video, I need bunker help.

Interesting article at golf.com about feel players (BUBBA) and it mentions some champions tour player who knew if he hit a good shot out of the sand by the sound. His whole goal out of the sand was to replicate that sound, nothing else.

Awesome video, I got to play with a pro a couple times years ago and its an amazing experience.

My biggest problem is green side bunkers. You put me in a fairway bunker and I have no problem what so ever. Anyone else like this?

Very good video GG, and I too was impressed with the solid thump of Meredith's bunker shot.

My biggest problem is green side bunkers. You put me in a fairway bunker and I have no problem what so ever. Anyone else like this?

I'm the opposite. I have always been good in greenside bunkers but put me in a fairway bunker and I'm most likely going to hit it fat and get nowhere near the green with the shot. Sometimes I just hit a blast SW back into the fairway knowing it is the better option for me than risk more strokes if there is water or more bunkers in play if I hit it fat.

I am like you I am far better out of the fairway bunker. I know I can hit it like a regular ball and it's ok if he flies. With the greenside bunker I am so afraid to hit it thin and have it fly across the green so instead I end up missing the ball completely and hitting about 6 inches behind it.

Good stuff. Im unsure where to put the ball in my stance sometimes.

I am like you I am far better out of the fairway bunker. I know I can hit it like a regular ball and it's ok if he flies. With the greenside bunker I am so afraid to hit it thin and have it fly across the green so instead I end up missing the ball completely and hitting about 6 inches behind it.

i'm the exact same way as well.

Andy's vid is still up here I am sure. The very best tip on green side bunker play I ever received is in there. Andy tells us that our swing thought should be outside in. He wants the ball up in the stance and the stance and the club head open as well. The outside in swing thought is just easier for me to translate into action than the scoop the ice cream swing thought although they might be different ways of getting us to do the same thing. The thing I like about it most is that it seems to take much of the guesswork associated with bunker variables from one course to another out of the equation. As long as I come into the ball on that swing plane the right amount behind the ball and don't give up on the shot, my rate of success is very good.

All of these vids are great stuff cause you never know what is going to stick with a particular golfer. Andy always seems to come up with a way to describe something that sticks for me but that is me.

Great video. The question I have for you guys is, around here the sand is very thick and heavy like beach sand. Is there anything you guys do differently with heavier sand? Obviously swing harder but is there a different technique, especially if it is a long bunker shot.

Back