Wilson Staff DXi Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As we move into 2011, golfers everywhere are looking for their next driver to help them take their game to the next level. A brand often times flying under the radar when it comes to the big stick, has a new model out called the DXi and THP has been spending some quality time with it to assist golfers with narrowing down their choices for the new year. Last year THP spent some time with the Wilson Staff Smooth driver and came away fairly impressed. Could they improve on their technology and move forward with the DXi into that upper tier of drivers for 2011?

Continue Reading

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=11745

Great to see that W/S stepped up their driver game with the Dxi, JB. 4 yards increase in real world testing is a big deal, in my opinion. Decent shaft offering as well. Nicely done, Wilson Staff. Looking forward to giving this one a swing in May, along with the fwy's (if W/S obliges us).

i was one who really enjoyed last year’s Smooth model but it was significantly shorter than other drivers i was testing at the time. for the DXi to offer a little more distance is a great thing. Wilson Staff continues to impress me with their equipment. Well done!

Great review JB!!! I was really hoping this one would do well. I can't wait to hit it at some point.

Nice review JB. Wilson Staff has been putting out some great products in the past few years. I am hoping to hit this at the outing. I look forward to seeing the fairways and hybrids from the dxi line too. I was a fan of the Fybrid and Fybrid HS, so I'm interested to see what the new ones are line too.

So, alot of people said the Smooth really wanted to go straight. Would you say the same for the Dxi, JB?

• Admin
So, alot of people said the Smooth really wanted to go straight. Would you say the same for the Dxi, JB?

I would Hawk. This one is very much like the Smooth in feel, but had a little more pop too it. For those that liked the Smooth, they will really like the DXi.

Sounds like a good step forward for W/S.

Great review JB, that pic of the crown looks identical to the crown of my Smooth. I love my Smooth and cant wait to swing the DXI, it sounds like its quite a bit better.

Great review JB!!! I was really hoping this one would do well. I can't wait to hit it at some point.

I was indifferent when it arrived, but it is a good one for sure.

As always, great review JB! I really like the appearance of the club head from address and I'm glad to hear it has more pop than the smooth. Wilson Staff is back and better than ever, nice to see an old school company like this still very relevant in the tough equipment industry we have today.

One T, Captain biggsy, and I were able to hit some golf balls with this driver yesterday and one word comes to mind: SLEEPER!

This driver had all of us stunned. To put things simply: it's long, it's straight, it's accurate, and it's very forgiving. I think all 3 of us at this point have this driver in the top 3 out of all the new stuff coming out this year. It's one that I would highly recommend that anyone demo, b/c I can assure you that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Top 3 eh budy? Wow that's a true sleeper club! I'll look forward to hitting it at the Outing then...
One T, Captain biggsy, and I were able to hit some golf balls with this driver yesterday and one word comes to mind: SLEEPER!

This driver had all of us stunned. To put things simply: it's long, it's straight, it's accurate, and it's very forgiving. I think all 3 of us at this point have this driver in the top 3 out of all the new stuff coming out this year. It's one that I would highly recommend that anyone demo, b/c I can assure you that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Top 3 eh budy? Wow that's a true sleeper club! I'll look forward to hitting it at the Outing then...

Ya thats surprising! If TC had said top 10 I would have said wow thats a driver I have to try, but top three? Good for Wilson, look forward to hitting this in may.

I thought the Smooth was a good driver, this sounds even better. I look forward to testing it at the demo day. Really interested to see if the Fairway Woods have the same amount of success

I thought the Smooth was a good driver, this sounds even better. I look forward to testing it at the demo day. Really interested to see if the Fairway Woods have the same amount of success

I loved the Smooth as well but it was just too short compared to other drivers out at the time but this driver just has it. I'm telling you, it's gonna blow some people away.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Looks like Wilson Staff is making a push to get their names back out there. I can say the irons are fantastic. Great review JB. 4 yards is a pretty nice increase especially if there is no loss of accuracy

Looks like Wilson Staff is making a push to get their names back out there. I can say the irons are fantastic. Great review JB. 4 yards is a pretty nice increase especially if there is no loss of accuracy

Now if only they can find themselves in more stores. Their equipment is really good and have a very strong lineup ATM.

This driver was the darkhorse of this entire weekend. Neither biggsy or One-T thought it was going to be such a good option and watching the two of them hit it perfectly time after time with incredible distance was very cool.

For me it outperforms the R11 by quite a few yards and even more on shot dispersion.

Now if only they can find themselves in more stores. Their equipment is really good and have a very strong lineup ATM.

I would agree with you. These need to be more available somehow. I guess the question is: would more people game them if it were?

This driver was the darkhorse of this entire weekend. Neither biggsy or One-T thought it was going to be such a good option and watching the two of them hit it perfectly time after time with incredible distance was very cool.

For me it outperforms the R11 by quite a few yards and even more on shot dispersion.

I wonder how many people would believe that without seeing it?

I would agree with you. These need to be more available somehow. I guess the question is: would more people game them if it were?

And we both saw and heard the answer to that over the weekend. When it comes to marketing, we all want to believe we would put anything in our bag regardless of brand if it outperformed, but the truth is, many would not.

If they hit them, maybe. Though I have yet to see any TV spot for this driver. IMO it's kind of hard to walk in to a golf store take a look at Nike, TM, Callaway and then wanting to give WS a full chance. I don't think it should be that way, but I think for the avg golfer(not the serious ones here) they would tend to look at WS as an inferior driver to those other companies. I think it's just marketing because it sounds like this one is every bit as good if not better than the competition.

Thats a good question and I think JB makes a serious point too, some people just wont game certain companies. As short sighted as it seems its just true. They HAVE to get into more outlets or people are never going to game this stuff. They got some decent names on tour but then I go into GG or Dicks and theres nothing. How am I even supposed to consider W/S if I cant hit it? If it wasnt for THP and the THP demo day I may never have hit any W/S equipment.

This year's Wilson line up is looking really good. It's a shame they don't have as big of a marketing machine as some of the others to get their gear out. I'd play wilson without even thinking twice, but I'm sure there are plenty of golf snobs that will overlook them.

Back