How To Minimize Backspin

Idrops

Reaction score
My drives tend to launch high and balloon with very little roll. I'd like to get more carry. My launch angles tend to be 15 to 17 degrees and my backspin tends to vary anywhere from 3000 to 5600 according to the monitors.

How does one minimize backspin in driver shots?

What variables come into play? Stance, lag, swing, ball type, shaft characteristics, loft etc??

How should each variable be tuned to minimize backspin?

Great question here. In terms of swing issues that add spin to a driver. If you tend to flip the hands at impact this move will add spin. So the lack of lag coming into the ball could be part of the issue. Eliminating the flip could drop the spin by close to 1000 RPM's.

In terms of equipment the ball will have a very small impact on driver spin. By small I mean 200-400 RPM's but that is it. Loft will have a little impact as well. The loft will have a bigger impact on initial launch angle. Once again 200-400 RPM's with loft. The shaft can have a major impact on spin. A higher kick with a stiff tip section can really help bring down spin. I would look at getting fit to a shaft to help battle the issues you are having.

Thanks for the reply. Funny, I demoed the new Cleveland driver at two different stores. One had a doppler measuring device that sat behind me. It was reading 4000 to 5000 backspin and no improvement in carry. I then tried the same club elsewhere with the monitor sitting to the side of the ball and I was getting great results with backspin around 3100 and good distance and roll. Could it be the device used? I've finished my Golftec lessons and am trying to see if a new driver/shaft will help.

The measuring device is only as good and accurate as the individuals who set it up. I tend to use a launch moniter for readings on spin.

Back