Callaway Launches Diablo Octane Driver & FW Woods

Wow that really surprises me! Would you say this one is much different from last years 3W? And can you elaborate on whats its going up against for the final cut? Although I might have an idea or two.

I put that in the FW decision thread.

I put that in the FW decision thread.

Yeah just saw that. I was asking about last years because someone said to me they thought the Octance 3W was the same exact 3W but with a little cosmetic change.

Yeah just saw that. I was asking about last years because someone said to me they thought the Octance 3W was the same exact 3W but with a little cosmetic change.

I did not spend a lot of time with last years FW wood, but I can tell you the look is similar, but it has a different sound to me.

I did not spend a lot of time with last years FW wood, but I can tell you the look is similar, but it has a different sound to me.

Did they put the PX shaft into the 3W too? Looking on the Callaway site theres no mention of it.

Did they put the PX shaft into the 3W too? Looking on the Callaway site theres no mention of it.

Not in the one I was playing.

I was just on the Callaway site and they list the Project X as a custom shaft option for $300.

Played yesterday with the Diablo Octane and once again absolutely loved it. Only hit it once off the deck and it was a dead rocket over water on the hole we call "The Decision" that landed right in front of the green. Used it 5 times off the tee and found the FW on 4 of those and the one that missed was a dead pull on my part.

Found that I was hitting it further than my R11 by a few yards and far more consistent.

Played yesterday with the Diablo Octane and once again absolutely loved it. Only hit it once off the deck and it was a dead rocket over water on the hole we call "The Decision" that landed right in front of the green. Used it 5 times off the tee and found the FW on 4 of those and the one that missed was a dead pull on my part.

Found that I was hitting it further than my R11 by a few yards and far more consistent.

The man was killing it folks. One time he hit it, watched it, then looked at me and said "that's 25 yards further than I ever hit ANY fairway wood.

From the iPhone.

The man was killing it folks. One time he hit it, watched it, then looked at me and said "that's 25 yards further than I ever hit ANY fairway wood.

From the iPhone.

That was true. We both killed that shot. You saw a FW too which was impressive...hehe. But in all seriousness, we were playing from 361 on a tight hole where left is water and right is OB. We were both right next to each other in the FW and had 81 yards left to the pin. It was downwind though.

Wow, thats saying a lot. I call my R9 Money, lol. Sounds like a new kid on the block.

Has anyone used the Octane Tour? It seems to have a R9-like shape which I like better... I may have to hit one of these at work Friday.

Can't listen right now... I was looking for info on the Tour Fairways... Do they talk of the fairways on the radio show?

was it the regular octane or the unleaded octane Tour? I know I really liked the Octane Tour FW when I hit it at the Hanks Putter Shootout where TC saw me hit some pretty mean shots off the tee with it.

Can't listen right now... I was looking for info on the Tour Fairways... Do they talk of the fairways on the radio show?

Yes they do, but I was not directing you to the radio show, but to the thread people are discussing these clubs more frequently in the radio show thread.

oh sorry, I just saw the title and assumed. ha

Thanks for the info!

I hit the Octane 3 Tour tonight and really liked it. I didn't get it in the air very well, but I never could hit 3 woods off mats inside. I hit it off the tee great though.

Finally got out on the course with my Octane 3 wood (THANKS :thp: ) and was able to hit it a few times up against my Cleveland 09 Launcher 3 wood. I hadn't played a 3 wood for quite a few years and last year I found the Cleveland Launcher series and had great success with the 3 wood off the deck so I purchased one and was very happy with it's performance. The Octane 3 wood puts the Cleveland to shame, at least 20-30 yards farther with a more predictable ball flight. I struggle right with just about every club I have, the first time I hit the Octane it was a baby draw and the next 4 shots I put on it went straight where I aimed.

I barely feel like I'm swinging and the ball just rockets off the face. The two shots I measured with my Upro GPS (THANKS :thp: ) were 196 and 193, which on a day where my driver went anywhere from 187-240 was quite a welcome change. Overall I've now hit the Octane twice, once onto a snow covered driving range where I couldn't see the ball flight very well, and today over the course of 9 holes and I'm pleased it's easily won the 3 wood spot in my bag and I'll probably start driving with it as well if I keep getting those consistent numbers out of it.

Demoed the Octane tour 3w yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! This thing just seem to rocket off the clubehad. Distance was about 20 yards short of my R9 supertri driver and way past my old TM 3w. The head just sets up perfecly and I can even hit controlled fades with this stick! Also tried the RAZR Hawk 3w bit did not like it as much as the Octane. Just did not set up as easily and felt dull at impact. I have a tendency to hook fairway woods, but the with the Octane tour this is not an issue anymore. Ordered one right away. Cant wait to take it out on the course!

Any additional feedback?

Hey TC- I can only speak from the RH side of the tee box but I'm more than happy with the Octane Tour 3w that I have. I cut it down a little for more control and the thing is super consistent. Mid-level ball flight, really hot face, pleasing 'crack' off the face with a hot feel to it. I hit the Razr Hawk at the Outing and still thought that that the Octane was a better stick.

Having hit both drivers at the Outing, I thought the Razr Hawk was a better driver. Better feel, longer, sounded great, and seemed to have not as high a ball flight than the Octane. I thought the Octane launched a little too high for my taste

Pretty excited that we are giving one of these away this week in the Open Championship contest.

Pretty excited that we are giving one of these away this week in the Open Championship contest.

Agreed I have heard nothing but amazing things about this club.

It's a fantastic prize for someone to win. A long and forgiving driver, what's not to like?

Hawk's excited that we are giving him one of these away this week after he wins the Open Championship contest.

I really am. Can't wait to swing it.

Back