TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Hey JB, have you tested this with other shafts? I've read most of this thread but don't remember seeing that mentioned...maybe I missed it. Also, it seems like you mentioned that there was a variance in testing results above and below a certain swing speed, 100 or 105 area. Is that true?

I have to admit that I gave in to the club ho demons and bought this with a stiff Aldila RIP. I had myself talked into waiting to test it head to head with the Z Star and maybe a couple others but then a moment of weakness occurred...not settled yet and still plan to have fitting session to compare. The great white hype was just too much to resist.

hey the club ho in all of us takes over at one point or the other lol, The RIP is a great shaft that has worked very well for me in the Supertri. If you end up not liking it i would be more than happy to take the shaft off your hands, i hope that doesnt happen and it works great for ya.

If nothing else, it sure looks sweet! The kinda matte black shaft with the skull and crossbones and subtle monochrome graphics along with a white grip and R11 head is a thing of beauty.

If nothing else, it sure looks sweet! The kinda matte black shaft with the skull and crossbones and subtle monochrome graphics along with a white grip and R11 head is a thing of beauty.

ya its a great looking club

Has anyone compared the R11 fairway to the 910F from Titleist?

Same as the driver for me Yahtzee, awesome on well struck shots and diabolical on mishits. I found it much better off the tee then the turf as well. Unfortunately it also has the Blur in it which I'm not a fan of. I'll give it a go again when I can try out some TP shafts but my inner ho will have likely picked something else by then.

I had the opportunity to have a quick glance at a Taylormade reps book which listed the available TP shafts for the R11. From what I saw there is a nice selection. I can`t remember them all but there was the RIP, New Motore speeders, Fubuki, Matrix ozik, and a lot more. So all in all there should be some good shafts that will work for everyone. He also said that they should be available to order from Taylormade in approx 3 weeks.

Update, whatever broke in my head is either lodged or has fallen out, i dont hear the rattle anymore so my guess is its lodged in the head. Im still gonna let them replace it since its more than likely as soon as i hit a ball with it that will unlodge and start rattling again. Also dont want to be hitting a head that had something come loose or break inside it.

Not hitting fairways is a swing issue not the driver. Indian not the arrow lol

Not sure I agree completely. Today I missed 4 FWs on the front 9, switched drivers and did not miss a single other fairway. If a driver is getting you terrible numbers, it could be severely detrimental.

Of course my swing could have been that problem today as well. hehe

Hey JB, have you tested this with other shafts? I've read most of this thread but don't remember seeing that mentioned...maybe I missed it. Also, it seems like you mentioned that there was a variance in testing results above and below a certain swing speed, 100 or 105 area. Is that true?

I have to admit that I gave in to the club ho demons and bought this with a stiff Aldila RIP. I had myself talked into waiting to test it head to head with the Z Star and maybe a couple others but then a moment of weakness occurred...not settled yet and still plan to have fitting session to compare. The great white hype was just too much to resist.

I ahve tested the driver out now with 5 different shafts including my custom fit Miyazaki.

It will not be taking a spot in my bag.

Not sure I agree completely. Today I missed 4 FWs on the front 9, switched drivers and did not miss a single other fairway. If a driver is getting you terrible numbers, it could be severely detrimental.

Of course my swing could have been that problem today as well. hehe

lol he said it was giving him the best numbers out of any other driver. Maybe its just me but if i have a bad driving day its cause i wasnt swinging the driver good, not the drivers fault. Anyhow hopefully he starts hitting them cause shooting 78 with only 1 fairway hit is pretty impressive, could be alot lower with your second shot in the short stuff.

Hi Guys,
Went to the range today with temps in the high 20's to work on the driver. I have a question for you all. My fitting had me closed clubface and the shaft put on lower which turns the loft to 8 degrees. With the lower loft, is it harder to control then a higher loft such as 9 or 9.5?

Hi Guys,
Went to the range today with temps in the high 20's to work on the driver. I have a question for you all. My fitting had me closed clubface and the shaft put on lower which turns the loft to 8 degrees. With the lower loft, is it harder to control then a higher loft such as 9 or 9.5?
I dont think it is but it might be for others

Hi Guys,

I never noticed any difference in accuracy or control between 9 or 8 degree setting. However I have been told that a higher lofted driver is more controlable for a higher handicap player. But with your handicap at 7 I wouldn't think the change would bother you too much.

So far so good. More testing coming up this weekend with it.

JB.....were you able to use the R11 3W this weekend? I keep reading the complaints with the Blur shaft in the driver, are you seeing any issues with the Blur in the 3W?

JB.....were you able to use the R11 3W this weekend? I keep reading the complaints with the Blur shaft in the driver, are you seeing any issues with the Blur in the 3W?

I did not. After 2 more range sessions with some other FW woods, the R11 did not make the cut for me.

I did not. After 2 more range sessions with some other FW woods, the R11 did not make the cut for me.

What did make your cut and why?

What did make your cut and why?

I will be updating those threads momentarily as I like to keep this thread about the R11.

I will be updating those threads momentarily as I like to keep this thread about the R11.

Looking forward to your opinions on the others. What about the R11 3W changed your previous love affair with it?

Looking forward to your opinions on the others. What about the R11 3W changed your previous love affair with it?

Trying others out in comparison. I still think it is a solid FW wood, dont get me wrong. But what was once a field that was thin in my opinion of great FW woods, now has so many great choices.

Trying others out in comparison. I still think it is a solid FW wood, dont get me wrong. But what was once a field that was thin in my opinion of great FW woods, now has so many great choices.

How do you feel the R11 3W compares with the R9 3W?

How do you feel the R11 3W compares with the R9 3W?

Similar to me. I think it has a little more length like the SuperFast FW does. But for me when comparing it to other options, I just do not care for the sound.

Similar to me. I think it has a little more length like the SuperFast FW does. But for me when comparing it to other options, I just do not care for the sound.

Sound goes a long way for me on whether I like a club or not, even if the numbers are there I can't put it in my bag if I don't like the sound.

I went to my local golf shop this weekend to test out the R11 (and a host of other drivers) against my 410 cc R7. Like some others in this thread, I was hoping to like the R11, but just didn't. I was only on a simulator, not a launch monitor, so I did not get spin numbers. With no adjustments at all, I got no more ball speed and less accuracy with the R11 as compared to the R7. After making adjustments, I managed to get about an extra 4 mph ball speed with the R11, but still did not feel that the accuracy was on par with the R7. Like a lot of other posters have said, the R11 seemed inconsistent to me. The sweet spot hits were great, but anything that missed the sweet spot was punished more severely than I would have hoped. I also tested the Razr Hawk, which I love. My ball speed was consistently 6 mph faster with the Razr Hawk than the fastest I got with the R11 and I thought that accuracy was as good as the R7, even though the Razr Hawk is an inch longer.

I played the entire round this past Saturday with the R11 driver and 3 wood in my bag. JB fitted me with Miyazaki Kusala 7785. My experience with a Miyazaki in my driver was not very good, it just did not work for me. I liked the way the shaft was in the Mashie. JB gave me this one and a PX7.0 and I hit them side by side and decided on the Miyazaki for the round. I used a stock S Blur for the 3 wood.

I like the hollow sound the R11 makes, it's more appealing to me than the sound my Superfast makes. I hit it well and I came away still feeling like I would put it in my bag. I loved the shaft, it worked very well for me and the flex code coupled with the 10.5 R11 gave me optimal launch angles. I loved the ball flight I got with this club.

I only hit the 3 wood once and I ended up pin high on a par 5. It's a solid club.

I know there are mixed reviews on these, but I am still a fan.

I played the entire round this past Saturday with the R11 driver and 3 wood in my bag. JB fitted me with Miyazaki Kusala 7785. My experience with a Miyazaki in my driver was not very good, it just did not work for me. I liked the way the shaft was in the Mashie. JB gave me this one and a PX7.0 and I hit them side by side and decided on the Miyazaki for the round. I used a stock S Blur for the 3 wood.

I like the hollow sound the R11 makes, it's more appealing to me than the sound my Superfast makes. I hit it well and I came away still feeling like I would put it in my bag. I loved the shaft, it worked very well for me and the flex code coupled with the 10.5 R11 gave me optimal launch angles. I loved the ball flight I got with this club.

I only hit the 3 wood once and I ended up pin high on a par 5. It's a solid club.

I know there are mixed reviews on these, but I am still a fan.

Im still a fan too buddy even though mine broke lol, TM CS is top notch though so no worries.

Back