Slow Play on Tour

What do you do if the slower players are in the lead or the final group? Or even worse, a Match Play? Cannot flip to someone else at that point.

I don't know that you have to cover the preshot routine if someone is in the lead. Cut to them when they address the ball, watch the shot, and then go somewhere else. It isn't like there is a lack of people to cover. Even if they are in the last group it is either the last hole or there is someone else to cover.

Match play is a more difficult "fix" but that only happens one time a year. I guess I don't see slow play hurting TV dollars because there are other options. Heck, it might even benefit TV viewers if it gives them more shots of other players who normally get missed.

What do you do if the slower players are in the lead or the final group? Or even worse, a Match Play? Cannot flip to someone else at that point.

Yeah, I thought about that, and there in lies the biggest problem. I don't know what to do about it, but I hate watching some of these guys.

yeah I'm sure the players would go along with that one. You saw how many times the guys went tree hunting this weekend and all they did was point and not yell fore?
Slow play is a killer. I remember watching Luke Donald at the Chevron take close to 20 minutes thinking and talking about how to play out of the trees. Too much time. If a group is on the tee for 5 minutes, they should be allowed to tee off. And the slow group risks being hit by the incoming shots. I hate watching an event and seeing group(s) stacked up on the tee box.

In some ways that is a generalization. The guys I golf with after work, we regularly walk as a 6-some and put pressure on the carts in front of us. But, like i just mentioned, we weren't going to win and speed of play awards this weekend but (aside from the first 3 holes in the am saturday) I never felt we played slow despite a 4 1/2 hour round.

I agree that this is mostly a generalization, but that is the thing about a generalization, they are mostly true. And as far as our round on Saturday, I believe had the marshall not started us as a 6 some, the extra time spent playing the 1st 3 holes and allowing one group through would have easile kept us in the 4 hour range. I was enjoying the company and was unaware of the time element one the early holes until we began to be pushed. After the split we never had any problem with others on the course pushing and that is as it should be. I also felt we never played slowly, but we were just caught up in sheer numbers making it appear that we were playing somewhat slowly early on.

I don't know that you have to cover the preshot routine if someone is in the lead. Cut to them when they address the ball, watch the shot, and then go somewhere else. It isn't like there is a lack of people to cover. Even if they are in the last group it is either the last hole or there is someone else to cover.

Match play is a more difficult "fix" but that only happens one time a year. I guess I don't see slow play hurting TV dollars because there are other options. Heck, it might even benefit TV viewers if it gives them more shots of other players who normally get missed.

I still dont understand what you mean to cut to somewhere else if its the final group? Cut to where?

yeah I'm sure the players would go along with that one. You saw how many times the guys went tree hunting this weekend and all they did was point and not yell fore?

Think of the gamesmanship if the guy teeing off was trailing the guy taking forever in the fairway. Tee box guys gets the green light to tee off and pegs Slow-play McGee square in the back. I want to see that.

Think of the gamesmanship if the guy teeing off was trailing the guy taking forever in the fairway. Tee box guys gets the green light to tee off and pegs Slow-play McGee square in the back. I want to see that.

Wow, I dont wish physical harm or heck even possibly death on anybody. Not sure anybody should really be "hoping" for that.

I still dont understand what you mean to cut to somewhere else if its the final group? Cut to where?

Unless they are on the final hole there is a group in front of them. If the leaders are on 17 then there is another group on 18 finishing up. Cover them instead.

I don't hope anybody dies, but do you think Kevin Na would be taking his time if he knew that he may get pegged in the back side for taking so darned long.

And lets be honest, most tour players aren't accurate enough off of the tee to hit a person in the middle of the fairway.

Reactions: JB
Unless they are on the final hole there is a group in front of them. If the leaders are on 17 then there is another group on 18 finishing up. Cover them instead.

Thats just it though. The final few holes, if there is extreme slow play means NOBODY is left on the course. We have seen it that the final group is a full 2 holes behind the next. That is a major problem. There are only so many golfers left out there in the last 3-4 holes sometimes and it is a lot of walking.

I don't hope anybody dies, but do you think Kevin Na would be taking his time if he knew that he may get pegged in the back side for taking so darned long.

And lets be honest, most tour players aren't accurate enough off of the tee to hit a person in the middle of the fairway.

No offense, but this is absolutely disgusting.

Thats just it though. The final few holes, if there is extreme slow play means NOBODY is left on the course. We have seen it that the final group is a full 2 holes behind the next. That is a major problem. There are only so many golfers left out there in the last 3-4 holes sometimes and it is a lot of walking.

Yea, and that is unfortunate. As I said, I understand the concerns and I don't want to come off as supporting slow play. I am just saying I can see the side of the "slow play" professional golfer.

On a slightly sarcastic note:
If the GC didn't use all 4 hours of their filler material when everyone was on the course and instead actually showed more golf they would have PLENTY of filler material left to use in the final 3 holes of a tourney.

No offense, but this is absolutely disgusting.

hmm. To each his own.

Here is an even better idea. Make a set time limit for length of time between shots. 7 minutes or 8 minutes or whatever. Excluding a ruling from an official or looking for a ball in a hazard. If a player goes beyond that period of time, enforce a 2 stroke penalty. Turn a birdie into a bogey just because a player couldn't decide between a faded 8 iron or a knock down 6.

It's all fun and games until someone dies. Player, spectator (that includes kids by the way) so if that's what you want that's up to you. I for one wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was a tee box guy and green lighted someone to go ahead and bom away and then they hit a kid who ends up dying from a head injury caused by someone doing something like that. If they want target practice, go to the driving range and peg the ball picker upper guy in the armored jeep.

It's all fun and games until someone dies. Player, spectator (that includes kids by the way) so if that's what you want that's up to you. I for one wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was a tee box guy and green lighted someone to go ahead and bom away and then they hit a kid who ends up dying from a head injury caused by someone doing something like that. .

Isn't there that risk anyway? Of a spectator getting hit and hurt?

Something needs to be done but giving them a fine of some sort will never work. These guys have too much money. Not sure what the answer is but doing nothing like the tour is currently doing does not help.
They have the clock but they don't seem interested in seriously cracking down. I'm personally more concerned with slow play at the places I play. No one seems to be willing to do anything about that either.

Something needs to be done but giving them a fine of some sort will never work. These guys have too much money. Not sure what the answer is but doing nothing like the tour is currently doing does not help.
They have the clock but they don't seem interested in seriously cracking down. I'm personally more concerned with slow play at the places I play. No one seems to be willing to do anything about that either.

Two stroke penalty for tour players for slow play. And play through (with their permission) slow players on your home course.

so not minimizing the risk is ok?

driving on the wrong side of the road is risky but just because it's risky doesn't mean I go ahead and tempt fate
Isn't there that risk anyway? Of a spectator getting hit and hurt?

There are a lot of different situations in which a player might take a while to hit a shot, but this should be where common sense comes into play from the official(s).

Repeat offenders during a round should be seen as breaking a rule, then outed as a rule breaker. This sort of stigma seems to sting these guys more than a fine.

so not minimizing the risk is ok?

Why not eliminate spectators all together and complete reduce the risk.

I digress, the tour needs to speed up the slower players by having penalties so strict that the players have no choice. 2 stroke penalties are the best thing I can think of.

I digress, the tour needs to speed up the slower players by having penalties so strict that the players have no choice. 2 stroke penalties are the best thing I can think of.

But you were not talking about spectators in your thoughts. You said (paraphrasing)" That a guy would not be so slow if he was worried about getting hit". Im actually a little shocked that someone would think this is "okay". That when someone is slow to fire off shots at them. A ball going that fast could absolutely kill someone.

Other players can do a Rory S. and just walk off. I think other players shouldn't be penalized and made to wait....wait.... and then wait some more due to a slow player. It throws off everyones pace and timing when waiting on someone slow. I would just start boiling inside and start clapping when they putted out with hurry the hell up look given to them.

We could just ask the crowd to start yelling HIT THE BALL after a specifed time... sorta like the APPLAUSE sign. I understand they are playing for a 1 million but come on hurry up people!! I think after they are put in clock (person just not group) then they are given a specified amount time to play a hole. If not they are given 2 stroke penalty on each hole they don't play in that given time.

But you were not talking about spectators in your thoughts. You said (paraphrasing)" That a guy would not be so slow if he was worried about getting hit". Im actually a little shocked that someone would think this is "okay". That when someone is slow to fire off shots at them. A ball going that fast could absolutely kill someone.

I agree and understand. It is a very crass idea, I admit. But it was an idea. Doesn't mean it was a good one.

makes perfect sense. Golf is trying to become more fan friendly so let's eliminate the fans altogether. brilliant thought.

I can't logically have a debate with someone who swears that 2+2=5, are you the Slazenger guy who enjoys hitting onto the green with others on it? Sounds like it. Stay long my friend....

I hate the slow play on tour and the PGA really needs to do something about it. I have said before I think the pros should be able to use GPS's for their yardages instead of pacing everything off, and make a penalty for multiple slow play warnings in a round. If you fall behind half a hole, you get a warning and must catch up to the group ahead. Do it again and the group gets a one stroke penalty and so on.

Back