TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I played an entire round with these after being happy with how I was hitting them on the range. I used JB's S300 shafted TM CB's.

I love the look of these. Very clean modern industrial look to them.

I did not hit these well on the course. I don't know if it was the weight (I currently play KBS 130 g shafts), but I struggled. I hit everything high off the toe and it felt like I was slapping everything. I had no issues with anything else, which leads me to believe it was the shaft.

That said, I am glad people are liking them, I think they are gorgeous irons and I loved the MCs that I hit at the show.

Can you tell me more about the stock Dynamic Gold XP's that come in the CB's? I see the S flex weighs 110g, which is lighter than the Dynalite Gold XP's that come stock in their MX-300 and JPX-800 Pro (117g). how do the stock shafts perform and feel? i don't see a lot of info on the web about the Dynamic Gold XP.

Can you tell me more about the stock Dynamic Gold XP's that come in the CB's? I see the S flex weighs 110g, which is lighter than the Dynalite Gold XP's that come stock in their MX-300 and JPX-800 Pro (117g). how do the stock shafts perform and feel? i don't see a lot of info on the web about the Dynamic Gold XP.

The short time I spent with them I had no issues with the shafts at all. Great feel and results from the shots. So far I have yet to hear anyone complain about them either.

has anyone who has hit the CB also hit the Diablo Forged, and if so, can you compare the two? Thanks.

has anyone who has hit the CB also hit the Diablo Forged, and if so, can you compare the two? Thanks.

One of the testers for the MC is coming from the diablo forged. I would think it would be a good place to start. One of his more recent entries was that the MCs were more forgiving than the diablos he played.

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

I have a set of DF's, but I have not yet had a chance to hit them beside the CB's. One T and I are going to get together and hit each others irons. I will have some idea at that point.

This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.

The shafts are pretty typical of a higher launching shaft, imo. They are very stable and I had no issues when I tried to really go for it with them. The entire club is very well balanced and the shaft is certainly part of that.

I really just want to hit these things some more. I went and grabbed each one out of the bag tonight to look at where the ball marks were. I hit quite a few toe shots on Saturday and have to say that the results from them were very good for an iron that I would consider to be on the lower end of the game improvement spectrum.

Something I was thinking about last night...as light and as balanced as these irons are, I don't find myself rushing through a shot. Everything is smooth and in tempo so far. Not sure if this really has anything to do with the iron itself or with where my game is right now but I took a few swings with my old x-24's and all I wanted to do was get to the ball and hit it rather than jus tfocus on good, solid contact. About the only thing I don't like about these irons are the grips. I know, shocking right? I just think these grips are only good for a few range sessions or rounds before they start to feel slick. Judging from the amount of testers who changed their grip before even swinging with them they may have felt the same way. Please Taylormade, make better stock grips. Especially for sticks as lovely as these?

Hanks, the grips are just Tour Velvets dude, I thought you liked those.

Your thoughts are very similar to my brother's when it comes to the tempo and smoothness of the swing. Incredible irons you guys have here.

Well, I had some range time and my first 2 rounds ever with these irons. It was also the 2nd and 3rd rounds of my season so I was a little rusty. I can tell you that I am already truly happy with these irons. I am seeing a great ball flight and when you hit these on the "screws" (no pun intended) you have to look to make sure you hit the ball, they feel absolutely incredible off the face. Also, when struck well, it makes a sound that just stays with you. Here is a video so you all will be able to hear exactly what I am talking about. I did stumble a little on my speech though. but I hit it well so didnt want a second take

My trajectory with these irons is some of the best I have seen. I am getting a very nice low penetrating ball flight that rises just a bit towards the end, which makes the ball land soft. In my round Sunday my irons really shined. I was struggling a bit off the tee but I was being rescued by my CB's. The topline is smaller than most GI irons so I think this will be very appealing to most golfers. Also, I have yet to notice the "screw" in the back at address. So, if that was a concern then dont let it be. These irons are beautiful, I make sure that when I put them in the back they all face the same way to showcase their beauty (not really) but JB and TC thought I did so much that JB had to take a picture.

One thing I have noticed where these irons truly shine is when you just slow yourself down, get your swing thoughts right that these irons will truly perform for you. You do not need to swing out of your shoes to get the results you are looking for. As far as distance, I am not seeing a gain or a loss with these, they are right on with my previous irons so the transition has been very easy.

Mishits are great with these. we all have them and I must say that these irons let you know you mis hit it but they also give you results you can live with. On a Par 3, I took a 5 iron and hit it out on the toe, I lost some yardage, which is expected, but the ball was just short of the green and a little right of my target. I was more than happy with that result considering I missed it. The feedback you get is not a "harsh" feedback, it is wierd...its just feedback and you can feel where the miss was.

When Pured, these irons really do shine. So far I think Taylor Made has hit a home run with these irons. This is one of the first irons that I have seen that managed to get everything right when it comes down to looks, feel, and performance.

I used to but hate them now comapred tot he New Decade Compunds, UST Mamiya's, etc. In all fairness Mizuno uses the same grips on their MPT-11 wedges and I had the same issue with those clubs as well.
Hanks, the grips are just Tour Velvets dude, I thought you liked those.

Your thoughts are very similar to my brother's when it comes to the tempo and smoothness of the swing. Incredible irons you guys have here.

Something I was thinking about last night...as light and as balanced as these irons are, I don't find myself rushing through a shot. Everything is smooth and in tempo so far. Not sure if this really has anything to do with the iron itself or with where my game is right now but I took a few swings with my old x-24's and all I wanted to do was get to the ball and hit it rather than jus tfocus on good, solid contact. About the only thing I don't like about these irons are the grips. I know, shocking right? I just think these grips are only good for a few range sessions or rounds before they start to feel slick. Judging from the amount of testers who changed their grip before even swinging with them they may have felt the same way. Please Taylormade, make better stock grips. Especially for sticks as lovely as these?

I thought you really liked Tour Velvets?

Reading this is making me antsy.

See my response to TC. I used to but not so much now. I'm not sure if the quality has changed in the Tour Velvets but they are different than they used to be.

I thought you really liked Tour Velvets?

I know it's only been a few rounds but I can tell you really like these irons man. Great thoughts so far and I'm really enjoying the video aspect as well. Sometimes it's just hard to put into words when a club/iron just strikes a good vibe. I'm really pumped to try these out now.

Well, I had some range time and my first 2 rounds ever with these irons. It was also the 2nd and 3rd rounds of my season so I was a little rusty. I can tell you that I am already truly happy with these irons. I am seeing a great ball flight and when you hit these on the "screws" (no pun intended) you have to look to make sure you hit the ball, they feel absolutely incredible off the face. Also, when struck well, it makes a sound that just stays with you. Here is a video so you all will be able to hear exactly what I am talking about. I did stumble a little on my speech though. but I hit it well so didnt want a second take

My trajectory with these irons is some of the best I have seen. I am getting a very nice low penetrating ball flight that rises just a bit towards the end, which makes the ball land soft. In my round Sunday my irons really shined. I was struggling a bit off the tee but I was being rescued by my CB's. The topline is smaller than most GI irons so I think this will be very appealing to most golfers. Also, I have yet to notice the "screw" in the back at address. So, if that was a concern then dont let it be. These irons are beautiful, I make sure that when I put them in the back they all face the same way to showcase their beauty (not really) but JB and TC thought I did so much that JB had to take a picture.

One thing I have noticed where these irons truly shine is when you just slow yourself down, get your swing thoughts right that these irons will truly perform for you. You do not need to swing out of your shoes to get the results you are looking for. As far as distance, I am not seeing a gain or a loss with these, they are right on with my previous irons so the transition has been very easy.

Mishits are great with these. we all have them and I must say that these irons let you know you mis hit it but they also give you results you can live with. On a Par 3, I took a 5 iron and hit it out on the toe, I lost some yardage, which is expected, but the ball was just short of the green and a little right of my target. I was more than happy with that result considering I missed it. The feedback you get is not a "harsh" feedback, it is wierd...its just feedback and you can feel where the miss was.

When Pured, these irons really do shine. So far I think Taylor Made has hit a home run with these irons. This is one of the first irons that I have seen that managed to get everything right when it comes down to looks, feel, and performance.

Awesome One-T! You and I are thinking the same with regards to a lot of things about these irons. Feel, control, accuracy right out of the box/range? Sign me up

Reading this is making me antsy.

Reading this makes me want to drive to QCA, and steal yours, lol

Nah, One-T and I had a lot of time in the car yesterday and I told him that he is already hitting the ball better with these than he ever did with his CG7's.

I love the sound at impact, I love the looks, I must have them!

Nice review One-T. I can't watch the video at work, but I will check it out at home. I wonder what the direct comparison with these and R9s are? I wonder if they are pretty close.

See my response to TC. I used to but not so much now. I'm not sure if the quality has changed in the Tour Velvets but they are different than they used to be.

Really? That would be news to me. I think they feel the same as they always have. Hmmm. Im going to reach out to them this morning and see if I can get some details on that.

Sorry JB, I know my grip rants can be tiresome sometimes but just being honest stating my feelings. I hope I'm wrong about the quality but it just seems that they are not the same as they used to be for me.
Really? That would be news to me. I think they feel the same as they always have. Hmmm. Im going to reach out to them this morning and see if I can get some details on that.

Sorry JB, I know my grip rants can be tiresome sometimes but just being honest stating my feelings. I hope I'm wrong about the quality but it just seems that they are not the same as they used to be for me.

I have no problem if someone does not like standard grips or any grips for that matter. But before I say that the grip is changed and different, I want to verify it with the company first. The reason I was confused, is that this is a grip you have said in the past you like.

I feel the same way about the MCs. I have also noticed that my tempo seems to be smooth, I'm not rushing my swing at all. That could be the iron or it could be all of the practice swings I've been doing in my living room all winter. Either way I love it and really like the way I am hitting the ball.

the stock shafts perform great! I like how they are a bit lighter than the normal s300's. this allows you to really feel the weight of the head giving you a little more control. I personally am very happy with the XP's

I have hit the Diablo Forged but it was about 8 months ago so it is hard for me to be able to give you an honest opinion

It may not be and it could be just my tastes have changed. But it just feels different to me somehow is all.
I have no problem if someone does not like standard grips or any grips for that matter. But before I say that the grip is changed and different, I want to verify it with the company first. The reason I was confused, is that this is a grip you have said in the past you like.

I played the S300s in my BP's. Loved the shaft to be honest. But when I went to a lighter shaft, I liked that too. Sounds like the stock shaft is a great mix of the two from what I'm hearing. One T keep it up man.

the stock shafts perform great! I like how they are a bit lighter than the normal s300's. this allows you to really feel the weight of the head giving you a little more control. I personally am very happy with the XP's

I have hit the Diablo Forged but it was about 8 months ago so it is hard for me to be able to give you an honest opinion

Back