What is the Most Important Aspect of Golf?

I have always heard a good putt makes up for three mediocre shots. Excellent putting will even make a high handicapper an asset in a scramble type format.

The Short Game. i've been a single digit Hdcp for 10 years now and I've only broken par maybe 10-15 times. Those up/downs and sand saves are crucial for shaving off those last couple of strokes.

Short game. There is nothing that used to piss me off more than bombing a drive and then skulling a 40 yd approach to make bogey. Next, a friend would add fuel to the fire by saying "nice drive" as you are walking back to the cart. All summer long I worked on half wedges and now have them somewhat figured out. Like JB, I don't leave the driving range until I hit the 50 yd stake with a wedge.

Any time I start swinging for the fences and trying to keep up with a long driver, I come away with an average or below round. But, with a smooth easy swing reaching the fairway, or at least no trouble and my short game generally gets it done.

I would have to say putting would be my choice. A strong putter can make up for some lack luster irons. It can also turn a good round into a great round!

Short game. without question. mental and short game (since mental is off the table). Unless your swing is a charles barkley mess, most people can get the ball within 50 yards or so in two shots. If you can two putt after hitting a green, or most importantly get up and down from wherever you are within that 50-100 yard circle will save so many more strokes per round than being efficient in driving/irons will.

For me i think another intriguing question is, which aspect of the short game do you think is more important to be better at: putting or chipping?
would you rather be able to consistantly put it within 5-10 feet from inside 100 yards to save yourself, or be an incredible putter you're consistantly able to make 10,20, even 30+ footers to save yourself?
So i guess the root of what i'm asking is which aspect of the short game, putting or chipping, is more important to having a really good short game? being able to make a wide variety of putts, or being able to get it close from a variety areas around the green?

The mental aspect is the most important. Once you have that, everything else falls into place.

I'd have to say for me it would be tempo..

If I'm able to keep my tempo under control, I feel good. When I start to give that little extra boost of power.. it's usually not good. At all.

Short game. Wedges and Putting. For me, working on those two things has made me a single digit handicap and I am still only an average driver and striker of the ball at best.

Have to agree. I've worked a lot the past couple of years with the wedges and putting with my PGA teacher. This has made me a much better player.

There is no doubt it would be around the greens, (short game). Whenever I play with Pros, I marvel at their ability to get up and down. It's nearly automatic for them. Talk about saving strokes...

Chalk up another for short game. As a total noob, practically every shot of mine sucks. But, I pick up the most strokes on bad chips and putts.

Knowing your limitations. If I eliminate those shots when I try to hit a high fade or flop shot from ankle deep rough. Knowing that I probably wont be able to hit a hard draw off of the tee in order to cut a corner.

For myself, I am going to say off the tee, and the short game. I am always worried that I am going to pitch it up to hard so I usually end up hitting it short.

I think the short game has to be the most important, but I think hitting a drive an average of 330 in the fairwary consistently has to be close behind!!!

Consistency.

Every one of us have days when everything just clicks, we also have those days when it seems like nothing clicks. Developing that consistency is what separates great golfers from average golfers.

I agree with everyone else about the short game. It's one thing I've really been trying to work on more and more, especially my wedge shots and I've seen a big payoff.

I like to look at it this way, if I can get on the green and 2 putt or less each hole, Im in good shape for the day.

Really though, the most important aspect of golf would be time. If you have the time to practice, you'll be good. consistancy, feel, mental confidence all comes from practice, practice, practice, practice and more practice. If you had the time to spend almost all day nearly everyday golfing, you'll be able to hit enough wood and iron shots to groove a consistant swing, you'll practice hitting enough short game shots and putts to be to have the shots and feel down. From doing all that work you'll see the results and develop the confidence needed to execute them when you need to.

I'd have to say for me it would be tempo..

If I'm able to keep my tempo under control, I feel good. When I start to give that little extra boost of power.. it's usually not good. At all.

I'd have to agree with you Weezy, sometimes when i'm having a really good day on the course, i get over confident. And then I start to think I can just do what I want outside of my mechanics, and normal swing thoughts. Getting back in tempo is the most difficult part of my game!

Another vote for short game. But, for me personally, the parts of the short game that needs most improvement are pitching and greenside bunker play.

some days its the swing - some days your confidence - some days its what kind of beer you're going to drink after....

some days its the swing - some days your confidence - some days its what kind of beer you're going to drink after....

Ill have a round with you any day.
Getting back to the clubhouse and slurping down some nice cold frothies with ya mates and driblin about what should have been makes it all worthwhile.

Ill have a round with you any day.
Getting back to the clubhouse and slurping down some nice cold frothies with ya mates and driblin about what should have been makes it all worthwhile.

Sounds good! Anytime you're in Massachusetts let me know! If I make it to Australia, I'll do the same.

Scoring, using the best part of my game I have that day.

Short game and PUTTING. if you cant put your dead.

Back