Overrated Equipment??

Mardin

Reaction score
What is a piece of equipment, gear, and or accessories that you think are overrated in the golf community? Is there a piece of equipment, gear, or accessories that you wouldn't buy and why?

I'd have to say mine is a "chipper," some people live and die by one, but It's not for me.

+1 on the chipper. When I am hitting a chip I never know exactly which club I will hit until I see the lie and how the ball is going to react on the green. I always carry at least 3 clubs with me to the green to have a choice after I have decided how to best get close to the hole on the chip.

Carrying 3+ wedges.

Watching amateurs work with 3-4 wedges in their bag due to gaps always leaves me asking why. I think that most believe a full swing is easier than a half swing, but in the end, learning to use 1-2 wedges for many different shots will make most a better golfer. Again, merely my opinion of course.

I agree wholeheartedly. For me, even having two wedges lead to overthinking club and shot type. With only a 54* for me, I dont need more loft in most cases.

Carrying 3+ wedges.

Watching amateurs work with 3-4 wedges in their bag due to gaps always leaves me asking why. I think that most believe a full swing is easier than a half swing, but in the end, learning to use 1-2 wedges for many different shots will make most a better golfer. Again, merely my opinion of course.

1 iron or that POW driver, but what I dislike the most is DIRTY CLUBS!!!

3 or 4 iron....

With how versatile and good hybrids are becoming, why carry one if the hybrid is more consistent and easier to hit?

Carrying 3+ wedges.

Aw crap. My addiction to wedges will be my undoing I see.

Everything is both overrated and underrated. What works for me more than likely won't work for others and vise versa. What is highly rated by some, will be rated low by others. There is no right or wrong anser. JMO

3 or 4 iron....

With how versatile and good hybrids are becoming, why carry one if the hybrid is more consistent and easier to hit?

Unless you are better at hitting a 3 iron than you are with a hybrid (as is the case with me(unless we are talking about the mashie which is close to cheating).

very true...however I think you may be in the minority my friend
Unless you are better at hitting a 3 iron than you are with a hybrid (as is the case with me(unless we are talking about the mashie which is close to cheating).

Carrying 3+ wedges.

Does Pitching wedge fall into that category?

I carry 3 wedges + a PW but never truly knew if the pitching wedge was classified under the "wedges" part?

Does Pitching wedge fall into that category?

I carry 3 wedges + a PW but never truly knew if the pitching wedge was classified under the "wedges" part?

Yes its a wedge.

3 or 4 iron....

+1, I see golfers out on the course all time who are 15 hc's and above playing with 3 and 4 irons, why? Even pro's game hybrids because they are just that good.

I dont want to be "that guy", and I wont ever doubt your game, but you carry 4 according to your signature. Is there things that you do that could help the amateur who does have 3-4 wedges?

Yes its a wedge.

Everything is both overrated and underrated. What works for me more than likely won't work for others and vise versa. What is highly rated by some, will be rated low by others. There is no right or wrong anser. JMO

What do you think is overrated though..?

I dont want to be "that guy", and I wont ever doubt your game, but you carry 4 according to your signature. Is there things that you do that could help the amateur who does have 3-4 wedges?

That is a very good point, and I think one that maybe I should have worded differently. I think mid-high handicap amateurs would have been the correct wording.

I think most buy wedges based on gaps because that is what we have been programmed to do. Look at all the wedges the pros use and then fill the gaps. Just like the marketing says we are supposed to. I also think its important that in time, we fill our bags with wedges that fit our game, however many that is.

However I do believe that it is important that players be able to hit ALL the shots with less wedges before jumping to more wedges. All experienced golfers know how many times we see golfers give up strokes around the green. Chipping with a 60, hitting flop shots, full swings with a 52 thin, etc...

There is no reason for this until you can figure out how to do a multitude of shots with other clubs. You are just giving up too many strokes.

1 iron or that POW driver, but what I dislike the most is DIRTY CLUBS!!!

I can totally get on board with this. There are many clubs out there that have faded into "golf equipment history," the 1-2 irons are truly there. I think, with the advent of hybrids the 3-iron will eventually make it's way into obscurity.

I have a friend who has a random 2-iron in his bag and every time he uses it we always give him **** about it. But he loves it and it works for him (sort of).

I knew you had some clarification on the previous statement and I think you point out some very interesting things. Personally for me, I go to the flop way to often. I have troubles attacking the pin from shallower angles. If I hit a flop, and if comes up 6ft short, or 6 ft long, I have 12 feet to work with. But if im chipping, I dont know how short or long i will end up, so its a personal comfort thing for me. Plus I just havent practiced chipping nearly enough in comparison to hitting higher golf shots.

That is a very good point, and I think one that maybe I should have worded differently. I think mid-high handicap amateurs would have been the correct wording.

I think most buy wedges based on gaps because that is what we have been programmed to do. Look at all the wedges the pros use and then fill the gaps. Just like the marketing says we are supposed to. I also think its important that in time, we fill our bags with wedges that fit our game, however many that is.

However I do believe that it is important that players be able to hit ALL the shots with less wedges before jumping to more wedges. All experienced golfers know how many times we see golfers give up strokes around the green. Chipping with a 60, hitting flop shots, full swings with a 52 thin, etc...

There is no reason for this until you can figure out how to do a multitude of shots with other clubs. You are just giving up too many strokes.

What do you think is overrated though..?

I just think anything I say that is overrated, could be something highly rated by someone else. If you want me to pin something down, I would say anything with Scotty Camerons name on it is overrated.

As of yesterday, after getting to hit the Mashie M1, I'll go out on a limb and say I think that fairway woods are overrated.

I just think anything I say that is overrated, could be something highly rated by someone else. If you want me to pin something down, I would say anything with Scotty Camerons name on it is overrated.

+1, with technology proving that most players would be better getting the ball rolling faster, I dont think most players need Camerons, yes he makes great putters, no doubt, but the cult drives me nuts, I had a Cameron for awhile traded it in.

Carrying 3+ wedges.

Do you count the pitching wedge in those 1-2 wedges or are you just referring to people carrying 50,56,60,64 in addition to the pitch?

I agree well said J.B

Back