Golf Buddy Platinum GPS Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This just arrived at THP offices and we wanted to put up some early pictures of the device.

EDIT: Here is the THP Review.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12723

1191391803_EDJHj-L-1.jpg

1191392023_2ZqkW-L-1.jpg

1191392221_qqxiL-L-1.jpg

1191392433_kdAD2-L-1.jpg

1191393136_e9Knf-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
One of my friends plays with a Golf Buddy, I once was a Sky Caddie user but if I ever purchase another GPS it will be Golf Buddy, it is a great performer and has no annual fees.

• Admin
One of my friends plays with a Golf Buddy, I once was a Sky Caddie user but if I ever purchase another GPS it will be Golf Buddy, it is a great performer and has no annual fees.

There are a lot of them that have switched to the no annual fee. Like you I was once a skycaddie user and will not go back until they change things and get their act together. Looking forward to trying this one out.

First impressions JB?

• Admin
First impressions JB?

Ummm. It turns on and looks nice? I have no idea really, it arrived less than an hour ago. But it will get tested thoroughly this weekend.

Ummm. It turns on and looks nice? I have no idea really, it arrived less than an hour ago. But it will get tested thoroughly this weekend.

Ah. I was thinking size/weight, looks nice, that sort of thing. Best of luck with it this weekend.

Every day is like Christmas at your house isn't it?! :drool::drool::drool:

• Admin
Every day is like Christmas at your house isn't it?! :drool::drool::drool:

You must think that these are for our personal use till the end of time? This is our job. When products arrive it means testing and writing.

I look forward to a review JB. One of those has been on my radar this winter.

You must think that these are for our personal use till the end of time? This is our job. When products arrive it means testing and writing.

Wow, maybe a little sensitive tonight. I'm fully aware of how it works. That said, new golf stuff isn't landing on my porch every afternoon for me to test. Was just expressing how awesome it must be to get to try out so much of the latest and greatest.

Wow, maybe a little sensitive tonight. I'm fully aware of how it works. That said, new golf stuff isn't landing on my porch every afternoon for me to test. Was just expressing how awesome it must be to get to try out so much of the latest and greatest.

Nobody is being sensitive, but its not what you think. While I am sure many would love getting packages every day, it is different doing it for a living. Sure its nice to test things, but there are many other factors that go into it. Packages just dont appear by accident.

I wont turn this thread into this, but I will just give you an example. Lets say we do ball testing like we have going on now. Those are VERY expensive for us to do and without the wonderful members here and their donations, THP would not be able to do those.

Items arriving for testing is about work. Its nice to show everybody the wonderful things that are available, and that is our goal with everything we do, to make things better for the wonderful readers we have here that make this the best forum around. Its because of them that we do these things.

I'm willing to bet the shipping bill every month for you it at least 4 figures and stretching into 5 some months.

Neat pictures of the unit. I'll be interested to see how it stacks up to the G5/Onpar which are my favorites otherwise.

I loved my golf buddy tour when I had it...I wonder how this one stacks up. I'm currently using the Sky Caddie SGX and I'm not a fan of the joy stick.

Looking forward to this. I have a skycaddie and the service expires in June. Thinking about switching brands so I don't have to pay annual fees.

Oh man. I have been waiting for a quality review on one of these bad boys. The only downfall I saw on them from before was that most courses didn't have the fly over view yet. Can't wait to see how it works for ya.

Im looking forward to your review. I am using my Iphone with Golflogix and I am ready to upgrade. I have been eyeing the SGX but the fees are a turn off.

I would like to replace my Golflogix GPS-8 because it does not hold enough courses. I am looking at Golf Buddy and hope it is simple to use with big numbers similar to the GPS-8. Looking forward to your review of this product.

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear (ummm... read) your thoughts and maybe how it compares to the Garmin Approach (or others). I finally got an Approach at the end of last year but am always looking for a new gadget to play with. :smile:

I am also looking forward to this review as a GPS is on my radar. I like the skycaddies that I have seen but like many others i am not a fan of paying the membership fee every year.

I used the golf buddy on sunday and I was very impressed. JB had his range finder so we were comparing his numbers to the Golf Buddy, the GB was giving front middle and back yardages, and was spot on with what JB was getting with the range finder. It is a full touch screen device so when you are on a tee box you can hit any spot on the screen and it will give you yardage to that spot, also the yardage from that spot to the pin. I came away very impressed with the GB and would recommend it to anyone on the market for a GPS unit

I used the golf buddy on sunday and I was very impressed. JB had his range finder so we were comparing his numbers to the Golf Buddy, the GB was giving front middle and back yardages, and was spot on with what JB was getting with the range finder. It is a full touch screen device so when you are on a tee box you can hit any spot on the screen and it will give you yardage to that spot, also the yardage from that spot to the pin. I came away very impressed with the GB and would recommend it to anyone on the market for a GPS unit

Is the screen large enough to use your finger or do you have to use a pointer?

Is the screen large enough to use your finger or do you have to use a pointer?

JB is right, I did not have a pointer and I have big hands and had no problems. It was very impressive how accurate it was

Good info One-T and JB. Will def keep the GB @ the top of my list when the sky caddie membership runs out in june.

Good info One-T and JB. Will def keep the GB @ the top of my list when the sky caddie membership runs out in june.

the cool thing is, I turned it on...it searched for a second and boom, it had us on the first tee. so it was seemless and simple

Back