Overrated Equipment??

Even though I carry one, I think that the 60* wedge is overrated. The answer that most amateurs have around the green is "more loft" but can't hit a lob wedge properly. I have been using my LW less and less. I like my three wedges, I just think that too many amateurs think that they need a 60*.

As of yesterday, after getting to hit the Mashie M1, I'll go out on a limb and say I think that fairway woods are overrated.

I'll still keep a 3-wood in my bag, For now! What about 7-woods, does anyone use them??

I love all of my wedges. I have way more than 4. I will admit that they usually wind up adding strokes to my score card. If I am keeping score, I rarely use them. If I am playing for fun (most of the time) I use them every chance I get. :D

I will say 3 wood. My reasons are:

-anymore, drivers are as forgiving or more forgiving than fairway woods so using a 3 wood off of the tee is not a important as it used to be
-hybrids can be had down to 15* these days and most find them easy to hit. I can hit my Baffler about as far as a 3 wood and can hit more shots with it; hence all the fwy wood vs hybrid posts we see now.
-I have played whole rounds without ever skinning my 3 wood, but rarely without using all of my wedges

Now to really shake up the first few posters, I dropped my 3 wood to make room for my Cleveland Niblick. There are just too many shots I can do with the Niblick to leave it out of the bag for now, contrasted with how narrow of a need the 3 wood fills. I swapped them out almost a year ago and have only missed the 3 wood a few times compared to the Niblick coming through for me dozens of times. Yes, I used to get strange, condescending looks when I would show up with a bag full of blades and a Niblick. But after seeing me use it out of the rough or my patented 40 yard fading, 2 hop-stop pitch shot,,,,,,, I don't.

To each their own I suppose. But my vote is 3 wood. 5 woods are already dead to me.

I was thinking about this JB at the range yesterday. For every good shot I hit with a 50*, I miss 3 others. I'm thinking of ditching it and just trying to work my PW better. I mean, I could just use my 42* niblick for the 105 yard shots and less but it's good to have the PW in my back pocket. Also keep my SW because I usually hit that one good and it's useful for bunkers :). Interesting bit to take back for sure.

Sorry didn't mean to threadjack. I agree with the sentiment that anything can be overrated or underrated to anyone. I really like these types of discussions because I really find good advice within usually.

That is a very good point, and I think one that maybe I should have worded differently. I think mid-high handicap amateurs would have been the correct wording.

I think most buy wedges based on gaps because that is what we have been programmed to do. Look at all the wedges the pros use and then fill the gaps. Just like the marketing says we are supposed to. I also think its important that in time, we fill our bags with wedges that fit our game, however many that is.

However I do believe that it is important that players be able to hit ALL the shots with less wedges before jumping to more wedges. All experienced golfers know how many times we see golfers give up strokes around the green. Chipping with a 60, hitting flop shots, full swings with a 52 thin, etc...

There is no reason for this until you can figure out how to do a multitude of shots with other clubs. You are just giving up too many strokes.

crap..... and I got a good deal on those wedges, too.

I'm really new at this, but I would have to say that all the tee lengths are overrated to me. Naturally, I was carrying tees in all 4 sizes "just in case" but I find I get away with 3 1/4" the bulk of the time.

And, a big 'ole golf umbrella. Kind of a bother to me unless you have no rain gear or a caddy, I would think....

also, a white golf towel. what was I thinking.....

For me, it would be the three wood. If I want to gave a controlled tee shot, I will use a hybrid and for a longer shot on the fairway, I will either use a hybrid or lay up. That's just my preference though.

I see JB's point on wedges. I find the 60 to almost be a specialty club that I use for specific occasions like a short sided chip to and elevated green for example.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Arent woods more fogiving then hybrids?

That is a very good point, and I think one that maybe I should have worded differently. I think mid-high handicap amateurs would have been the correct wording.

I think most buy wedges based on gaps because that is what we have been programmed to do. Look at all the wedges the pros use and then fill the gaps. Just like the marketing says we are supposed to. I also think its important that in time, we fill our bags with wedges that fit our game, however many that is.

However I do believe that it is important that players be able to hit ALL the shots with less wedges before jumping to more wedges. All experienced golfers know how many times we see golfers give up strokes around the green. Chipping with a 60, hitting flop shots, full swings with a 52 thin, etc...

There is no reason for this until you can figure out how to do a multitude of shots with other clubs. You are just giving up too many strokes.

This has honest to goodness been in my head lately, I even posted on it in the "Pondering" thread. In the last 4 rounds I really think I've left a LOT of strokes on the course because of my infatuation with the 60* wedge, especially with as deadly as I got with my niblicks last season. Why put myself in the same situation over and over like that with the 54/56 and 60 when I can make the same shots with a PW and my 42/49 niblicks? Why make the game harder than it needs to be for me?

Lots to think about.

Not for me. I swing steep and the extra shaft length can be a problem for me.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Arent woods more fogiving then hybrids?

I would assume that the correct answer is no based on longer shaft length. But its different for everybody.

I carry, by JBs definition, 4 wedges.

BUT- IMO the PW doesn't count. It is lofted the same as the old 9is and I play it as an iron and not a wedge.

I carry a 52* that I use for a full swing 110-80 and then a 56* that is everything from 75 and in. Flop. Chip. Pitch. Everything.

My 60 just stays in my bag and looks pretty. I use it maybe once a round when I need to open the face or when I am VERY short sided. It doesn't get a lot of use but I don't think that I can take it out.

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

This has honest to goodness been in my head lately, I even posted on it in the "Pondering" thread. In the last 4 rounds I really think I've left a LOT of strokes on the course because of my infatuation with the 60* wedge, especially with as deadly as I got with my niblicks last season. Why put myself in the same situation over and over like that with the 54/56 and 60 when I can make the same shots with a PW and my 42/49 niblicks? Why make the game harder than it needs to be for me?

Lots to think about.

When close to the green if you dont have to fly over anything, get the ball on the ground as fast as possible....and putt whenever you can, a bad putt will always be better than a bad chip.

Last edited:
I carry, by JBs definition, 4 wedges.

BUT- IMO the PW doesn't count. It is lofted the same as the old 9is and I play it as an iron and not a wedge.

I carry a 52* that I use for a full swing 110-80 and then a 56* that is everything from 75 and in. Flop. Chip. Pitch. Everything.

My 60 just stays in my bag and looks pretty. I use it maybe once a round when I need to open the face or when I am VERY short sided. It doesn't get a lot of use but I don't think that I can take it out.

Tapatalk- USGA non-conforming

This is about what we feel are overrated equipment. Lets keep wedge setup to the proper thread.

I would assume that the correct answer is no based on longer shaft length. But its different for everybody.

I never think about the shaft length, correct. My 4 wood is probably a hybrid length, my 3 hybrid is the same length as my 3 iron would be.

That stamper-dooda thing for marking your name on a golf ball. That's overrated, judging by my Christmas gifts from the last few years.

5 woods. I replaced it 4 years ago with a hybrid and can hoestly say I haven't missed it even once.

I agree with the previous posts and say that fairway woods are overated, I am going to try the Mashie 1w against the 3w with a view to swapping it out of the bag.

I'll go out on a limb and say I think that fairway woods are overrated.

I am on the same page as you. It seems to me, based solely on anecdotal evidence, that the "technology factor" is less of a factor with the FW than other clubs. Also, I think for many amateurs, the fairway wood is one of the least used clubs in the bag (unless their driver is giving them fits). I still use my oldskool titleist fw.

5 woods. I replaced it 4 years ago with a hybrid and can hoestly say I haven't missed it even once.

completly agreed, I carry a 2-3-4 hybrids.

I agree with the previous posts and say that fairway woods are overated, I am going to try the Mashie 1w against the 3w with a view to swapping it out of the bag.

let me know how that works out for you, I tried the same thing with the Adams Super Hybrid (15*) and it was just a temperamental to hit as a 15* 3 wood for me... perhaps even harder

K, I'm ready to be flamed but....

I think the 460cc driver is overrated. My driver (43") is about the same length as my 3 wood (41.5) and has the same shaft (both Aldila NVS 65 stiff) and I can hit the 3 wood much more consistently straight and nearly as long.

$300 putters

Back