Washing your clubs

what is this cleaning of the clubs you all speak of???? :D

I clean my clubs after every round. I use hot water, and a tooth brush. I haven't cleaned my grips but they are starting to get a little dirty, so that will probably happen tomorrow.

I must be in the minority. While I will do a good cleaning of heads and grips once or twice a year, I keep them clean as I play. After I hit a shot, I clean the club and put it back in the bag. That way, anytime I pull out a club, it is clean. If for some reason I didn't get one clean, I will do it when I'm waiting. It is a great way to stay occupied when you have to wait a few minutes.

I must be in the minority. While I will do a good cleaning of heads and grips once or twice a year, I keep them clean as I play. After I hit a shot, I clean the club and put it back in the bag. That way, anytime I pull out a club, it is clean. If for some reason I didn't get one clean, I will do it when I'm waiting. It is a great way to stay occupied when you have to wait a few minutes.

I think that a lot of us clean our clubs after we hit a shot. I certainly do. I'll often clean out the grooves with a tee before putting the club back in the bag. I don't clean the grips while I'm playing though. I think those who've commented thus far are writing about how they wash their clubs, since the OP titled this thread, "Washing your clubs".

I've never heard that. I use dish soap and the hottest water I can stand when I clean my grips and have never had soap residue problems. I use GP Tour Wraps on all my clubs (except the putter) and have cleaned my grips this way for many years. Grips end up extremely tacky when cleaned this way.

When you wash your car do you rinse it down with hot water or cold water? When cleaning a dish or glass do you rinse with hot water or cold water? Any time you wash something with hot water and soap the best thing to do is rinse with cold water because there will be a film of soap left on the object you are washing. It may not be visible but it is there. I want my grips to be clean from dirt, perspiration, or oils from my hands. A clean tacky grip will let you hold the club lightly in your hands rather than having to hold it tight to keep it from slipping. When I first starting playing I never washed my grips and I used to have a death grip on the club to keep it from slipping out of my hands. I"m talking years and years without cleaning them :D

When you wash your car do you rinse it down with hot water or cold water? When cleaning a dish or glass do you rinse with hot water or cold water? Any time you wash something with hot water and soap the best thing to do is rinse with cold water because there will be a film of soap left on the object you are washing. It may not be visible but it is there. I want my grips to be clean from dirt, perspiration, or oils from my hands. A clean tacky grip will let you hold the club lightly in your hands rather than having to hold it tight to keep it from slipping. When I first starting playing I never washed my grips and I used to have a death grip on the club to keep it from slipping out of my hands. I"m talking years and years without cleaning them :D

I rinse my car down with cold water because that's what comes out of the outside bib. When I wash dishes by hand, I rinse with hot water. I've never seen a dishwasher use cold water to rinse either.

Hot water helps cut grease and dirt. When you wash white clothes and you want them at their whitest, you don't use cold water, you use hot. Hot water rinses away detergent, dirt and grease better than cold water. Go ahead and Google hot water vs cold water for rinsing and washing. I could not find anything that says that cold water is better for cleaning, but perhaps you can?

Clean after every round and clean grips every other round or so.

I pay the kids at the club a couple bucks to clean them for me.

Re: Washing your clubs

Of course I wipe my clubs off after each shot... But when I get home, or sometime before my next round; I spray Simple Green brand cleaner on the head, and use a nylon brush to clean the grooves. A quick rinse with some water and it's clean. I use a Terry cloth towel to dry, and wipe down the shafts and grips.

Just finished giving mine all a good scrub and also did the grips. Now they're all clean and shiny for the first tee on Saturday at the THP FL Outing - and will be back to their usual dirty selves shortly afterwards. :beat-up:

What does everyone use to wash their grips? I just wipe them down with a towel....no water or anything...any suggestions?

I don't need to I know from experience. When I do my grips and try to wash off the suds from my grips with hot water there is still a soap residue that is left on the grips. If you don't believe that try washing the soapy grips off with hot water then scrub with a brush again. More than likely you see a a soapy grip again. Using cold water to wash off the soapy grips then scrub them with a brush. I believe you will find little of no soapy residue on the grips. Hot water intensifies detergent and cold water does just the opposite. Put some liquid detergent in a glass and add some hot water and see the soap activate, do that with cold water and it won't do it very much at all.

Last edited:
Just detailed my sticks after a good range sessions today. I did scub the grips down with warm water and toweled them dry. Ready for a round ASAP.

After every round and every range session

Driver: Adams Speedline 9.5*
3W: Adams Insight BUL 15*
5w: Wilson Df6 19*
3H: Cobra Baffler 20*
Irons: Cleveland CG Reds
Wedges: Mizuno MPR 52* Nike SV Tour 60*
Putter(s): Never Compromise GM2

Ok, so I never wash my grips, ever. After reading this thread, I scrubbed them all down this last weekend during my weekly clean, and WOW, the grips were tackier than I can ever remember at the range the next day. Couldnt believe it. Much better, thanks for the suggestion!

Club cleaning. How often, and how much effort do you put into it?

Club cleaning. How often, and how much effort do you put into it?

Other than wiping them down during the round, I mean.

I just realized I've been putting it off for a while and it is time to give my clubs some TLC, hence the question.

after every round and every other range session. maybe the affection will wear off but i doubt it lol

I clean that just about every week, but that's only if they've been used. I haven't used them in a while so there's no need to clean them :)

Apparently not often enough as the chrome is now stained, as are teh grooves.
Time to get a buffing wheel for the bench grinder, and have at 'her!

[edit] this is after 16 rounds of golf as well.
The faces are green.

grips after every round, club face after every other

The course I play has a club washer so I clean mine in it about 2 times a week. I clean them at home at minimum once a month. The grips I wash 2 times a week in winter, and after each round in the summer. I keep a wet towel when I play and wipe grips and club head as I deem fit.

eh....the night before a competitive round, if I remember....:banghead:

Back