Is it bad to carry a 4 hybrid and a 4 iron?

Coachfrizz

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.0
I recently put a 4 hybrid in my bag and it's the same degree as my 4 iron. I hit my 4 iron ok, just more consistent with the hybrid and it's better in bad lies. Just wondering if I should get a different degree or keep them both?

Do what you feels best for your golf game. No one on here should be able to tell you whats right or wrong.
I recently put a 4 hybrid in my bag and it's the same degree as my 4 iron. I hit my 4 iron ok, just more consistent with the hybrid and it's better in bad lies. Just wondering if I should get a different degree or keep them both?

I carried both for a while. My 4i and 4h had different distances though. I also hit my 4i fairly consistantly and never had an issue if I needed to use it.

If they're the same distance I may take one out and add another club if I desired or just kept the spot open until another club claimed it.

I carry both! I, too, hit my hyrbid better than my 4i.

Do you hit them the same distance? Though not a deal-breaker, it definitely should be a part of your analysis.

I dont think its good. But is is certainly redundant.

I carry them both, too, and I haven't played enough with either of them to rule one or the other out of the bag. Somedays the irons feel better, and somedays the hybrids feel better.

What I do currently have is a gap between my driver and the 3W (15*) that I don't like hitting and the 3 hybrid (21*). The top of the bag needs to be sorted out in the next few months.

I dont think its good. But is is certainly redundant.

That said, if you are comfortable with it and you hit them different distances, I've seen far worse things. HAHA

Im about to carry a 4iron (21*) and a 4 hybrid 21* but the 4 hybrid will go about 15-20 yards farther than the iron.

If you need to carry another club then drop the 4i if you do not need another club in the bag then leave there.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable. I sometimes throw a 3I in the bag if I'm going to hit a bunch of low runners or if the course has trees everywhere.

I get about 15-20 yards extra with the hybrid. I hit it really well at the store, so i found a cheap on ebay to try. Just wasn't sure if maybe a 20* would better than having two 22* clubs

I get about 15-20 yards extra with the hybrid. I hit it really well at the store, so i found a cheap on ebay to try. Just wasn't sure if maybe a 20* would better than having two 22* clubs

If you're going to replace it I'd go to at least 19*.

I carry my 4 iron as well, just in case.

I just went through the same dilemma with my 5i. I wound up taking out my iron and just going with the mashie 5H. I hit the 5H further then the 5 iron so I just choke up some if I need to hit it shorter.

My irons are traditional weaker lofts, so my 4i is 24* and my 4hyb is 22*, which is replacing my 3i. So technically I do carry a 4i and 4h, but the lofts and distances are different so it isn't truly redundant to my bag/game. As long as they don't go the same distance I see no reason not to carry both if that's what works for you.

Id say thats perfect! Guessing you probably have about a 15-20 yards difference to your 18* hybrid right? I wouldnt change a thing.

Throwing out numbers here (not mine, just guesses)

4 iron (22*)- 185-190
4 hybrd (22*)- 200-205
2 hybrid (18*)- 215-220
3 wood (15*)- 230-235

I have a feeling that your numbers are similar to that and if so, I would not change a thing. The only reason I would drop the 4 iron or 4 hybrid would be if you hit them the exact same distance. Just my opinion though.

If they go different distances, say 180 and 190, and your 3i goes 200, then I think you are OK. My 4i is making a swift exit now that Mashie M4 is in the bag!

If they go different distances, say 180 and 190, and your 3i goes 200, then I think you are OK. My 4i is making a swift exit now that Mashie M4 is in the bag!

Skimmer :alien:

He doesnt carry a 3i. 4i, 22* hybrid then 18* hybrid. His 22* 4 hybrid goes 10-15 yards farther than his 22* 4 iron.

Bridges you just about exactly right with my distances. That's was kinda of the thinking behide trying it out.

Bridges you just about exactly right with my distances. That's was kinda of the thinking behide trying it out.

I would just keep it the same then. Pretty much every golfer wants a 10-15 yard gap from 5i-3w wether it be 4i, 4h, 2h, 3w or 5h, 4h, 3h, 3w or just any varitation of that. Id say you have pretty much every gap covered.

Is it bad to carry a 4 hybrid and a 4 iron? Only if it puts you over the 14 club limit. I'm in a similar scene, completely different clubs and I like em both. Hyb 22* 4i 23*

Back