Overrated Equipment??

Strong lofted irons.

Ball retriever.....
They delay the game too much when someone is "fishing" for those 2 or 3 dozen balls instead of just reaching for the "1" ball they hit in the water.
Give it up! If you hit it in the water, your penalty is the stroke and the loss of your ball. Your bad shot should not cost me time.

(now climbing down from my soapbox)

Ball retriever.....
They delay the game too much when someone is "fishing" for those 2 or 3 dozen balls instead of just reaching for the "1" ball they hit in the water.
Give it up! If you hit it in the water, your penalty is the stroke and the loss of your ball. Your bad shot should not cost me time.

(now climbing down from my soapbox)

haha. Theres this old man at Desert Rose here in Vegas, when He gets to the 12 hole he parks himself at the lake edge and just waves people on through. Someone's gonna hit him one of these days.

+1, I see golfers out on the course all time who are 15 hc's and above playing with 3 and 4 irons, why? Even pro's game hybrids because they are just that good.

+1, If the tour pro's are taking the easy way out, then we should too.

haha. Theres this old man at Desert Rose here in Vegas, when He gets to the 12 hole he parks himself at the lake edge and just waves people on through. Someone's gonna hit him one of these days.
He is like Santa Clause, he plays my course almost every time I do as well. As hard as I try not to, I end up hooking my drives right at him too. I wish he'd stand in the center of the fairway for once. Last time I made him pull my ball out for me.

He is like Santa Clause, he plays my course almost every time I do as well. As hard as I try not to, I end up hooking my drives right at him too. I wish he'd stand in the center of the fairway for once. Last time I made him pull my ball out for me.

The one time I played with him he gave me 2 srixons (my gamer) and 1 Bridge 330S he pulled from the lake. Nice guy.

Sadly atm, hybrids, they are no better off the tee than my 5 wood or off the ground than my 3 iron( off the tee here too, 3 iron is my savior off the tee some days). Now I'm going to keep trying, but so far the 3 or 4 I've had are now in the corner of the garage.

O and $300 putters for sure. My new port 1.5 is sitting there with the hybrids while the Corza Ghost sleeps soundly in the bag.

For me the most overrated piece is the 460cc head >46" shaft driver. I'm envious of the guy that can use one reliably, but for me it is just the wrong tool.

All Titleist.. :foot-in-mouth:

Just wanted to throw this out there again, Just because the club doesnt work for you does not mean its overrated. Not trying to point fingers at anyone here(saw this a couple of times) but come on, how are hybrids overrated? They have made the game easier for TONS of people by taking those 3/4 irons out of the bag. This is going to sting a little bit, but Overrated is like the Dallas Cowboys. Talked up all pre season then just suck.

Overrated is something that is talked about a lot and raved by many then when it comes out, it just stinks for everyone or just not worth the money.

Just wanted to throw this out there again, Just because the club doesnt work for you does not mean its overrated. Not trying to point fingers at anyone here(saw this a couple of times) but come on, how are hybrids overrated? They have made the game easier for TONS of people by taking those 3/4 irons out of the bag. This is going to sting a little bit, but Overrated is like the Dallas Cowboys. Talked up all pre season then just suck.

Overrated is something that is talked about a lot and raved by many then when it comes out, it just stinks for everyone or just not worth the money.

I understand what you're saying, but isn't this thread about what each person individually finds overrated?

+1 +1 +1 off topic sorry. But Bridges, you might lose your texan card for saying such blasphemy. As a Born and raised San Franciscan I've been saying that for years now. haha

+1 +1 +1 off topic sorry. But Bridges, you might lose your texan card for saying such blasphemy. As a Born and raised San Franciscan I've been saying that for years now. haha

Hahaha I don't know what +1 means, but as a Redskins fan I say this every year.

I understand what you're saying, but isn't this thread about what each person individually finds overrated?
I just dont considered it overrated if it doesnt work for you. Now if it doesnt work for a lot of people and was raved about before it came out then thats what I call overrated.

haha I wont lose it, I speak the truth and every cowboy fan knows after what happened this year.

Back on topic now before we get in trouble..

Just wanted to throw this out there again, Just because the club doesnt work for you does not mean its overrated. Not trying to point fingers at anyone here(saw this a couple of times) but come on, how are hybrids overrated? They have made the game easier for TONS of people by taking those 3/4 irons out of the bag.

Good point, but at the same time many have said that 3 and 4 irons are overrated. Same logic applies, no?

Good point, but at the same time many have said that 3 and 4 irons are overrated. Same logic applies, no?

Ya, same logic applies. I never said either were overrated and to be honest IMO there not.

Im just kind of throwing stuff out there, making people think today haha

If its not based more on individual preferences then how can anything other than 300 dollar putters be over-rated? :D

For me...it is starting to be anything over the 5 iron....

Honestly, I played yesterday and after i put my ego and driver in the bag, i played a lot better.

I even started hitting my 5 iron off the tee and hit it around 230 yards each time, more than enough to put me within a short iron into some of the shorter par 4s.

Sure, this means I may not reach some of the longer par 5s in 2, but I wasn't doing that anyway using a driver and 3 wood.....

And i love my wedges...all 5 of them. (PW, GW, 56, 62, 64), used them all and with success.

7 wood.

why? because I'm not knocking on death's door quite yet.

I disagree with the 3 iron being overrated, but that is just me. I think distance off the tee is an overrated number (I am guilty of caring too much about this and I am not throwing stones) and short iron accuracy is underrated. Everybody wants to be long off the tee, but I don't hear much about GIR's. The slam dunk is sexy, but 3 pointers really get the job done.

And the original post does seem to have some personal pref in there.

What is a piece of equipment, gear, and or accessories that you think are overrated in the golf community? Is there a piece of equipment, gear, or accessories that you wouldn't buy and why?

I'd have to say mine is a "chipper," some people live and die by one, but It's not for me.

Back