Last week I played at Buffalo Run, the water hazards are still partially frozen. I was on the Par 3 17th 171 yds., going into the wind I hit my 3W and the ball went way left hitting the semi frozen pond that surround the left side of the green. The ball hit a gouge in the ice and bounced up onto the green and rolled to 14 ft. of the pin. Fist putt left me inches short and then dropped it for Par.

I have a good one taken from Tin Cup and I actually did it before the movie was made.
I did this in 1991 or 92 and the Tin Cup movie was 1996.

#18 at Indian Canyon in Spokane Washington(back then it was #9) 449 yd par 5.
An all uphill par 5 with a ridge bisecting the fairway at a carry of 280 from the back tees. The second or third shot plays at least a club and a half longer.
I hit the drive a little short out to the 240 area so I decide to rip a 3 wood up the hill and hope to get close to the green.
The ball jumps off the 3 wood like a bullet, but I pull it a bit. The ball ends up 5 yards from the green, but behind a tree with no shot directly at the green.
There is a porta-pottie to the right of the tree so I call a bank shot off the porta-pottie to my friends in the group.
I get a lot of "yeah right" and "not a freakin chance" comments, which just served to harden my resolve to make this shot.
The 7 iron comes out of the bag.....put the ball just back of center of my stance and bang it off the porta-pottie....onto the green, 15 ft from the pin.
I lip out the birdie and make the par.

My "interesting par" from last season meets JB's requirement of 'leaving me wondering how it happened', but not for the right reason. I drove a short par-4 green that I cannot typically reach. When we got to the green, we realized that my ball was within 10 feet of the pin. My playing partner was pumped because an eagle or birdie would have sealed the deal on our bet with the other 2 members of the 4-some. Unfortunately, I managed to 3-putt from 10 feet away. It certainly was an interesting par... I believe my second putt was further away than my first putt. Doh.

My "interesting par" from last season meets JB's requirement of 'leaving me wondering how it happened', but not for the right reason. I drove a short par-4 green that I cannot typically reach. When we got to the green, we realized that my ball was within 10 feet of the pin. My playing partner was pumped because an eagle or birdie would have sealed the deal on our bet with the other 2 members of the 4-some. Unfortunately, I managed to 3-putt from 10 feet away. It certainly was an interesting par... I believe my second putt was further away than my first putt. Doh.

I feel your pain bro!! I managed to almost hit a hole in one sunday to 3 putting, because one was from the fringe to a double bogey! UGH!

I have a good one taken from Tin Cup and I actually did it before the movie was made.
I did this in 1991 or 92 and the Tin Cup movie was 1996.

#18 at Indian Canyon in Spokane Washington(back then it was #9) 449 yd par 5.
An all uphill par 5 with a ridge bisecting the fairway at a carry of 280 from the back tees. The second or third shot plays at least a club and a half longer.
I hit the drive a little short out to the 240 area so I decide to rip a 3 wood up the hill and hope to get close to the green.
The ball jumps off the 3 wood like a bullet, but I pull it a bit. The ball ends up 5 yards from the green, but behind a tree with no shot directly at the green.
There is a porta-pottie to the right of the tree so I call a bank shot off the porta-pottie to my friends in the group.
I get a lot of "yeah right" and "not a freakin chance" comments, which just served to harden my resolve to make this shot.
The 7 iron comes out of the bag.....put the ball just back of center of my stance and bang it off the porta-pottie....onto the green, 15 ft from the pin.
I lip out the birdie and make the par.

you forgot the part where you bet Gary Mccord $50 buck you knock it on the green from there. haah Great shot drum.

The course I grew up playing on in High school has this one tough par 4 that is right on the property's edge. Very small green with this HUGE net behind the green to prevent shots from flying into the neighbor's houses. One day my buddy blades one from the greenside bunker badly, sends a rocket over the green into the net, where it bounces back onto the green roughly 10 feet away. From that point on, whenever the pin is in the back right spot rucked behind the bunker, the shot is to ADD 30 yards to the shot and bounce it off the back fence. Really took the bite out of that hole.

Haven't played much lately but I remember one from last year.
Hole 16 my home course is a downhill left to right par 4. About 340y. I am playing in a match and I am 1 up at the time. Taking the safe play I pull a 3 iron. I totally shank it 50+ y into to woods. no use even looking for it.

So I have to tee it up again. I hit a draw/hook 97% of the time so a left to right hole is not my fav. Anyway I pull out the driver and proceed to bomb it on the green to about 15 ft.

My opponent after seeing me shank it into the woods puts the driver away and hits a 5 iron off the tee. Playing for a bogey. After 3 shots he is about 2' inside me. I proceed to make the par putt and he misses his putt.

Number 15, 508 yard Par 5. I hit a pretty decent drive, a little up the left side, I pull out my 3wd and top it and it only dribbles about 40 yards, pull 3wd again and hit it perfect and it just rolls up onto the green then I two putt for par. Never had one of the ugliest and prettiest back to back shots with the same club before.

Not exactly a par, but…
I practiced with a friend on the putting green at a local Muni until almost dark. While walking to the car we decided to grab an old 4 iron (with it’s original grip probably), and a few old balls from my trunk, and hit them out from the 458 yard, par 5, 12th tee. Well, I flushed my ‘drive’ so we walked out after it. After finding it in the middle of the fairway, I flush it perfectly again, and get on the green in 2! On in 2, with only a ratty old 4 iron? I am still amazed!
After that experience, I will be forever unhappy with a par on that hole.

It was in my tournament in Toronto:

It was a shorter par 5 but with tons of fescue. I hooked a drive to the left of a cartpath almost OB but it was stuck in like foot long fescue. I tried to hit a 6 iron to a layup point but it was pretty blind and I didn't realize there was bunkers over this hill I was trying to clear, I hit the shot but it got caught on the lip of the bunker I was trying to clear and still had about 75 yards to the green in fescue again. I had no shot to the green so I landed my wedge into a green side bunker, blasted out of there to about 7 feet and made my par putt.

Par 4 and hit a good drive down the left side. Second shot pulled it and hit a tree bounced across the fairway to behind another tree. Third shot punched out to about 85 yards. Fourth shot hit my sand wedge which I normally can not hit worth a crap and I holed it!

While it wasn't par but a birdie this one was pretty interesting:

Harbour Town Golf Links. Hole #3. Par 4, 437 yards.

Tee shot pulled left and hits the limbs of an overhanging tree leaving an approach out of the left rough about 250 yards out. Three wood ripped towards the center of the green lands on the front edge and rolls to the back of the green nestling about two feet from the hole. Easy birdie.

While it wasn't par but a birdie this one was pretty interesting:

Harbour Town Golf Links. Hole #3. Par 4, 437 yards.

Tee shot pulled left and hits the limbs of an overhanging tree leaving an approach out of the left rough about 250 yards out. Three wood ripped towards the center of the green lands on the front edge and rolls to the back of the green nestling about two feet from the hole. Easy birdie.

The first time we ever played together at The River Club. You were a scrambling par making fool that day!! :D

At last years Florida outing I came over the top and pushed a drive right that hit the cart path and bounced a mile straight ahead leaving me a long way out there, but behind a tree for my second shot. I hit a nice big draw around the tree, but over the green. We found the ball sitting under a tree and in the bark stuff ringing the tree and I was short sided for the flag. I hit a sweet lob off the bark to about 3 feet and made the putt for par. All I could do was scratch my head on that one.

Mine came this weekend at the TPC San Antonio Oaks course. Playing with my 16 year old. He strips his drive down the fairway. I hit a weak push slice into desert. My next shot is either under a cactus and over a tree or a punch out to the fairway. For once I do the punch out. Hit a chip with an 8 iron which rolls out to the 100 yard marker. Pin is back and a hurting wind. I take my pitching wedge with a full swing. The ball goes up and I know it's good. I hear from behind "oh that's going to be good". The ball has a slight draw, lands, bounces up to the proper level and breaks to the hole. The ball stopped 2 inches from the cup for a tap in par from the desert. Later on in round the round my son said that's the best shot he's ever seen.

I thought his 35foot double breaker putt to save bogey was pretty damn good too.

Forest Heights Country Club
#7 Par 5.
Drive down the right hand side.
Horrible 3W that goes 20 yards.
180 yards. Hit a perfect 3w that is headed right for the pin, kicks off the back of a bunker and goes on left side. 2 putt for par.

Par 5 535 yards, wind blowing left to right. Tee shot sliced over the next fairway,into the rough, left with an uphill lie and still a about 300 out. A 5 iron to get it back into play and hit my best 5 iron probably ever to about 130 out. I am still left with an uphill shot so 9 iron to the left to allow for the wind and the wind quit. Left me about pin high off the green 6 inches from a railroad tie, so i chop a 56 degree into it and it pops out and rolls to about 3 feet, putt for par.

I was playing with a friend of mine a while back at our home course. The third hole is a three shot par 5 for most people. There are a few that can reach it in two, but not many. Anyway, he hit his first shot down the middle, then tried to lay up and pushed it way right. He still had about 130 yards to the green. He chunked his next shot into the pond that's in front of the green. He takes his drop, which leaves him about 80 or 90 out. He holes that shot for a par. We were playing $1 a hole and I was on the green in 3, but had a long putt. It would have been an easy two putt par and I thought I had him beat easily. I could have wrapped my club around his neck after he holed it out.

12 hole. par 3. 225 yard. about 210 of yard of cary of water to an island green.
hit my friends driver, watching it go strait at the pin the hole way and end up 2 putting from 15 feet.
(i has about a 20 handicap at the time)

My fave was par 3 138 yd with 1 sand trap@right front, Old Cedars surrounding back and left. I fly the green and high too. Ball dies out and comes down on the branches of one of the trees, actually rolls off all the boughs and onto the green for a 20 ft putt. 2 putt,= par.
I don't know why but when the Gods smile like that I get embarrassed.

Back