Wedge Setup and Why?

Hey JB you still able to do everything with that 58 as you could with a 60?

50/54/58 is very tempting with my pw being at 46.

Also if I bent everyone of mine 2 degrees, how much would it effect the bounce?
I play a 52/9 56/12 and 60/6.

Hey JB you still able to do everything with that 58 as you could with a 60?

50/54/58 is very tempting with my pw being at 46.

Also if I bent everyone of mine 2 degrees, how much would it effect the bounce?
I play a 52/9 56/12 and 60/6.

Close to as much. I have not seen many issues.

When you bend a wedge, figure the bounce will change the same amount as the degrees.

Going from 52 to 50 would make the bounce reduce as well.

Going from 52 to 50 would make the bounce reduce as well.

Ok thank you.

Dont think I could handle a 58/4 bounce wedge, might just have to sell the 60 and buy the 58 with the right bounce.

My current set up is PW (46), GW (50), SW (54), LW (58). Due to my inconsistent swing, my gaps are not set in stone. On a range, I can sometimes hit my PW 110 and my GW 90-100, but due to the less forgiving nature of my last two, they're both way shorter and much less accurate. My goal for this year is to be able to properly control shots with them from 80- practically 0. I've found myself 5-10 yards off the green so many times and the just shanking the ball over the green.

Pw - 48*
sw - 54*
lw - 60*

Pw-44
Gw-50
Sw-56
Lw-64

Mine has changed since this thread was started... what a surprise!!! :dohanim:

My PW is still 47, but my GW is part of my irons set now at 51. I carry 2 sand wedges.... 54 and 56. Not a typical setup, but it seems to be working. The 56 gets more use as a LW for me, with the 54 as my standard SW.

Pw 44*
gw 48*
sw 54*
lw 60*

Still looking to get my 56° bent to 55°. I'm excited that the new irons I'll be testing will have a 46° PW. I'm hoping that will close my PW>GW gap a bit.

I carry a 54* with 9* bounce and a 60* with 5* bounce. The reason for the lower than average bounce is the sand at my home course is pretty firm and there are very few traps. I only need 2 wedges because I prefer a full 3 wood, and 17* hybrid and a 20* 3 iron hybrid.

50* AW, 55* SW, 60* LW, I don't really count PW cause it is really more like a 10 iron imo.

As of this moment I'm playing a 48* PW, 53* SW, and 60* LW. I had been going 46-47, 51, 56, 60. This opened a hole in my bag for an extra club, so I'm also carrying a 56* Niblick. The 3 wedges have perfect distance gaps for me of 115, 100, 85. The 60* has 5* of bounce and I'm practicing it a lot to get different flops and lobs out of it. The 53* has 10* of bounce and it's what I use mostly out of the sand. I am also going to try the 56* Niblick out of the sand... from what I read, it's perfectly possible.

Last edited:
My current set up is R9's PW 46* AW 50* CG 15's 54* & 58* I have thought about trying a Niblick for around the greens.

45/50/54/58

I found a 60 just gets me into trouble with risky shots while the 58 ended up being perfect. Totally a perception thing, but there it is. The 54 still gets me out of the sand while allowing for more variety and distance then my previous 56.

I just switched irons and my new PW/GW lofts are 45 and 50, so my set up is now as follows:

PW-45*-yardage between 125-140. Typical full shot 135yrds
GW-50*-yardage 110-125, this one is 2* stronger than the one it replaced but no issues with the switch so far, stock distance 120yrds.
SW-56*-yardage 95-110. I've thought of bending it to 55* to keep the gaps exact but haven't yet. Stock distance 108yrds.
LW-60*-yardage 100 and below. Most comfortable with a solid 90-95. Will only push it to 100 if it's a back pin and I can afford to be short, or something like that.

I've had this basic setup for years now but I've tried PW/52/58, PW/52/58/62, PW/54/60, and I prefer to have 4 wedges and like the gaps I have. With my new set, I've had to adjust for an extra couple of yards with the GW/PW but I've been fine so far.

From the Overated Equipment thread:

That is a very good point, and I think one that maybe I should have worded differently. I think mid-high handicap amateurs would have been the correct wording.

I think most buy wedges based on gaps because that is what we have been programmed to do. Look at all the wedges the pros use and then fill the gaps. Just like the marketing says we are supposed to. I also think its important that in time, we fill our bags with wedges that fit our game, however many that is.

However I do believe that it is important that players be able to hit ALL the shots with less wedges before jumping to more wedges. All experienced golfers know how many times we see golfers give up strokes around the green. Chipping with a 60, hitting flop shots, full swings with a 52 thin, etc...

There is no reason for this until you can figure out how to do a multitude of shots with other clubs. You are just giving up too many strokes.

At the time, I opted for a LW instead of a 5 wood or higher lofted hybrid to give myself better control around the greens. I wasn't the best (and am still not) with longer clubs, so I felt that adding a LW would be the best for my game. An obvious focus on the short game.

My break down is as follows.

PW - 45* used 90% of the time for full shots, 105-115 yards
AW - 50* used 80% of the time for shots 50 yards and in. 20% for full shots around 75-85 yards
SW - 54* used for sand shots. Occasionally for short pitches.
LW - 58* used for short flop shots

So by my reasoning, every club has it's use. My current setup takes me to 14 clubs.

As I said, I went with an extra wedge instead of a longer club to fill the gap between my 3 wood (15*) and hybrid (21*). What should the amateur golfer be focusing on? Long clubs (woods and hybrids) or short wedges? Surely personal preference comes into the equation. Or should they just carry 13 clubs?

Right now I've got:
48 PW it's my 125 yard club
52 GW is my 100 yard club
56 SW is my short pitch and sand club

I used to carry a 60, but didn't find a use for it, so I added my three wood back in the bag. I'd like to switch to a 50/54/58 some day, but then it depends on my 9i loft of a new set.

This one is not about brands really, but in recent surveying, we noticed something. Most golfers are going with a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge. Those that carry 3 wedges anyway. However most of the newer sets are seeing PW's more strong lofted.

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.

What is your wedge setup and do you fill all the gaps that you need to?

PW - 46 degree. My 140 yard+/- yard club
Then I have a 50 degree. 125 yards
54 degree. 100 yards and sand
60 degree. 50 yards (probably moving to a 58 degree, will use a 58 more)

It has taken me a couple of years to refine this setup and once I have my 58 I think I am going to stick with it. I have a club in my bag for every yardage under 250 as a whole, and have confidence with my setup from 140 in.

I carry 4 wedges:
PW - 44*/130yds
GW - 52*/110yds
SW - 56*/Never used outside of sand, maltby sand slider :curl-lip:
LW - 60*/90yds

Unless I'm 120+ out, I'm probably going to play my GW in a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or full swing rather than risk a 60* chunk. But that 60* sure looks pretty! :D

I have:

PW - 46 Callaway X-22
GW - 52 Callaway Jaws
SW - 56 Callaway X-22
LW - 60 Callaway Jaws

My favorite wedge of all of those is the 60. I seem to rarely pull out the 52.

Just made changes to my bag, got the PW & GW from my set and a 55* medium bounce all purpose Cleveland. Keeping it that until the outing.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

PW - 47* - 130 yards
GW - 52* - 115 yards
SW - 56* - 100 yards
LW - 60* - 85 yards

Back