maddog

Huhmina! Huhmina!
Reaction score
Handicap
Gravity
Please give me your opinion. Too many rules?? Too strict? What is this with Dustin Johnson now? Something with light or shadow on the ball,they asked a fan not to move. And dont get me started on people that call in violations from home..

I don't think there are too many. I think it is mostly a case of their are a ton of circumstances that can come up, rare as some may be, and they did a good job of figuring our what to do in each circumstance. I don't know every rule out there, but I feel I know what I need to. If a goofy situation comes up, I keep a rule book in my bag and I can look it up. I would say a bunch of rules rarely ever come up in a normal round, but they have to be there just in case. The more you know the rules, the less chance there is that you will break one.

I do think that some are too strict, and maybe some that are a little dated. Not much I can do about it though. It is the USGA and R&A's world, I'm just playing in it.

I don't know if there are too many, but some need to change or go for the sake of speed.

I agree. Some might need to be adjusted.. One that comes to mind is that they need to advise a player of an infraction that causes them to be disqualified before the round is over, not after they are done. I think the players and officials do a pretty good job. I think there is no need for call in fan reports.

I don't know if there are too many, but some need to change or go for the sake of speed.

If you are referring to the PGATour versus the average golfer, the rules don't need to change or go for the sake of speed, they PGATour rule regarding time to execute a shot (which in not a USGA rule) needs to be enforced evenly for every player. But, that is being discussed in another thread already.

If you are referring to the average golfer, it would be nice if they took the time to learn to rules before venturing out onto a public golf course. A public course would never require a golfer to know the rules for a casual round, because they are never going to turn away revenue.

And, in my honest opinion, private golf courses should give their members frequent quizzes on rules to make sure they know them.

If you are referring to the PGATour versus the average golfer, the rules don't need to change or go for the sake of speed, they PGATour rule regarding time to execute a shot (which in not a USGA rule) needs to be enforced evenly for every player. But, that is being discussed in another thread already.

If you are referring to the average golfer, it would be nice if they took the time to learn to rules before venturing out onto a public golf course. A public course would never require a golfer to know the rules for a casual round, because they are never going to turn away revenue.

And, in my honest opinion, private golf courses should give their members frequent quizzes on rules to make sure they know them.

What do you mean know the rules? Its kinda relative to the type of play you are playing. If you are just out for your "Sunday round" with your buddies why should we be subjected to USGA rules? If I am playing in a tournament, I would expect a more formal set of rules.

I don't think many members would be very happy about being quizzed by employees at a club they pay for.

I don't think there are too many. I think it is mostly a case of their are a ton of circumstances that can come up, rare as some may be, and they did a good job of figuring our what to do in each circumstance. I don't know every rule out there, but I feel I know what I need to. If a goofy situation comes up, I keep a rule book in my bag and I can look it up. I would say a bunch of rules rarely ever come up in a normal round, but they have to be there just in case. The more you know the rules, the less chance there is that you will break one.

I do think that some are too strict, and maybe some that are a little dated. Not much I can do about it though. It is the USGA and R&A's world, I'm just playing in it.

I agree with StL fan. The golf course is big and each one is unique. No real limits on the field of play like any other ball sport - a base ball field is always the same distance from base to base etc. The only difference is how the wall is configured. That is as close as you get. A basketball court is very simple and rarely does a seagull fly down and take the ball. Golf requires more rules and lots of interpretation.

That said the ball moving in the breeze is a little silly. For the casual player the stroke and distance is dangerous on some courses. Going back to the tee - you could get shot...

Heck I've been yelled at for not taking a club when I went to see if a ball was mine and the distance.

What do you mean know the rules? Its kinda relative to the type of play you are playing. If you are just out for your "Sunday round" with your buddies why should we be subjected to USGA rules? If I am playing in a tournament, I would expect a more formal set of rules.

The "Sunday round" group can do whatever it wants as long as it keeps up with the group in front of it. (One of my favorite quotes on this site, is it Atticus or Four-Putt, says something like "your place on the course is right behind the group ahead of you, not right in front of the group behind you. Greatness!)

I agree that someone in a tournament should be expected to know the majority of the rules. Not knowing the rules, causes the other 3 players to come over, give their opinion of the situation, everyone coming to a consensus, blah, blah, blah.

I played in a tourney last year with a group that plays 10+ events (tournament or association events) a year. One guy has a ball in a water hazard (red stake) and he doesn't know where to properly drop. I really think he was playing stupid in hopes of getting a favorable drop. I'll never know until he tries to do that again in a similar situation. But, we had to waste 5 minutes hemming and hawing until he heard more than one person say the same thing.

I don't think many members would be very happy about being quizzed by employees at a club they pay for.

Most clubs have a committee, made up of members. The quiz would be done by the committee, not the kid cleaning your clubs for a buck.

Golf isn't for everyone. It is a voluntary thing for all of us. The rules are pretty much the same for pro or amateur. A player certainly does'nt have to play by them if they chose, but if you want to bet or up your cred by getting a handicap that's what they are for.

Last edited:
Most clubs have a committee, made up of members. The quiz would be done by the committee, not the kid cleaning your clubs for a buck.

But what is the enforcement of not passing the test? They're not allowed to play the course they pay for? If everyone just knew the basics (white stakes, red stakes, yellow stakes, etc.) it would be fine. I do understand the problems, but I think it's just part of the game. Golf can't afford to turn people away because they don't study the rule book.

I agree fairway...for amateur non tournament golf, the basic rules are fine. What is lacking sometimes is common sense and courtesy.

I agree fairway...for amateur non tournament golf, the basic rules are fine. What is lacking sometimes is common sense and courtesy.

Especially the guys taking the full 5 minutes looking for a ball when no matter what they're going to have to take a drop just because you're technically allowed 5 minutes.

But what is the enforcement of not passing the test? They're not allowed to play the course they pay for? If everyone just knew the basics (white stakes, red stakes, yellow stakes, etc.) it would be fine. I do understand the problems, but I think it's just part of the game. Golf can't afford to turn people away because they don't study the rule book.
What are you talking about here? Did some private course refuse a member because they didn't know the rules? Or is this just a worst case scenario you have spun up in your head?

What are you talking about here? Did some private course refuse a member because they didn't know the rules? Or is this just a worst case scenario you have spun up in your head?

No. Just throwing around ideas.

There are definetely some rules that are unfair. If a 50mph gust of winds kicks up while I am putting and my ball moves as I address it, I would not penalize myself if NOT in a tournament. I would simply replace it a close to the spot as possible. If I was in a tourney I would penalize myself, but would't be happy about it. This situation has nothing to do with my golf skills against par or other golfers. It is simply bad timing by mother nature.

There are definetely some rules that are unfair. If a 50mph gust of winds kicks up while I am putting and my ball moves as I address it, I would not penalize myself if NOT in a tournament. I would simply replace it a close to the spot as possible. If I was in a tourney I would penalize myself, but would't be happy about it. This situation has nothing to do with my golf skills against par or other golfers. It is simply bad timing by mother nature.

So I guess I am saying there are some picky rules I think golf could do without. But it is a fine line.

How someone else's divot isn't ground under repair I'll never understand, grounds crew is going to fix it aren't they? Never understood why i should be penalized because some clod didn't replace the beaver pelt sized divot he took...

No one ever told me "play it as it lies" was fair. Thats just golf, it averages out though.

Are you nuts? Those who want to know the rules, know them. Most don't care and will be p....ed.

BTW - red stakes = LATERAL hazard.

Regarding the private clubs: Do you want to play golf in under 4 hours or do you want to keep Judge Smails happy? Because you won't do both, without thinking outside the box for new ideas. The only thing that will change Judge Smails is peer pressure...and peer pressure can be a Mother F'er. If you put a list on the board of who's "passed" the quiz and who hasn't taken it, I bet old mr. peer pressure would start weighing real heavy on those who's names were listed under "Haven't Taken The Test", especially if the committee required passing that quiz to play in club tournaments.

BTW: The golfer's ball was in a river, aka water, and it was marked with red stakes, commonly referred to as a water hazard.

What I've brought up at my local muni several times is there should be a test to get your county golf card. Not so much about every minute rule but more so for etiquette, pace of play, letting faster groups thru when there is open holes in front of you, yelling "fore!!" when you have no idea where your ball is going, showing up on time for your teetime (pulling into the lot at 10:00 is not "on-time" for a 10:00 teetime) etc... Get caught violating the rules get you county card suspended for x amount of time...

Last edited:
What I've brought up at my local muni several times is there should be a test to get your county golf card. Not so much about every minute rule but more so for etiquette, pace of play, letting faster groups thru when there is open holes in front of you, yelling "fore!!" when you have no idea where your ball is going, showing up on time for your teetime (pulling into the lot at 10:00 is not "on-time" for a 10:00 teetime) etc... Get caught violating the rules get you country card suspended for x amount of time...

I think some European countries do something like this.

What I've brought up at my local muni several times is there should be a test to get your county golf card. Not so much about every minute rule but more so for etiquette, pace of play, letting faster groups thru when there is open holes in front of you, yelling "fore!!" when you have no idea where your ball is going, showing up on time for your teetime (pulling into the lot at 10:00 is not "on-time" for a 10:00 teetime) etc... Get caught violating the rules get you country card suspended for x amount of time...
And what was their reply? It sounds like you are ready or ought to join a private club.

Back