Overrated Equipment??

Chippers, mallet putters, hybrids and anything Titleist, Callaway, Mizuno, Nike or Taylormade.

Last edited:
5 iron 230 yards :bulgy-eyes: makes my 190 look pants lol

It was off a tee, so it goes a little further than it would if i hit it off the ground, which is about 210.

well said Seth....and sometimes those looooooooong 3 pointers from mid-court are sexy too lol
I disagree with the 3 iron being overrated, but that is just me. I think distance off the tee is an overrated number (I am guilty of caring too much about this and I am not throwing stones) and short iron accuracy is underrated. Everybody wants to be long off the tee, but I don't hear much about GIR's. The slam dunk is sexy, but 3 pointers really get the job done.

It took me a couple of seasons but every club I have is a necessity now. I ditched the 3-wood and have a 5-wood, because it's easier for me to consistently hit it off the fairway. I have a 9-wood now, which I like a lot better than any hybrid I've ever owned due to fitting issues. I work on my short game incessantly and I need four wedges. My 60º is probably the most used club in the bag other than the putter.

Proper fitting not only means having properly fit equipment but having the right clubs in the bag for your particular game.

For me...it is starting to be anything over the 5 iron....

Honestly, I played yesterday and after i put my ego and driver in the bag, i played a lot better.

I even started hitting my 5 iron off the tee and hit it around 230 yards each time, more than enough to put me within a short iron into some of the shorter par 4s.

Sure, this means I may not reach some of the longer par 5s in 2, but I wasn't doing that anyway using a driver and 3 wood.....

And i love my wedges...all 5 of them. (PW, GW, 56, 62, 64), used them all and with success.

Wow, hitting it 230 off the tee with a 5 iron? That is some serious length. When you hit your driver pure was it going 350? :)

Milled putters… Especially by those who voice that they don’t think there is any difference between cast and forged irons.

Wow, hitting it 230 off the tee with a 5 iron? That is some serious length. When you hit your driver pure was it going 350? :)

That was the problem....never could hit it pure! I have hit a couple of 330 yard drives when I put everything together, but alas... that has only happened a couple of times....otherwise....I would be on tour

Also...i just generally suck at this game....but now i'm off topic...

Probably a good estimate. Or farther if his winter fairways are hard.

For me...it is starting to be anything over the 5 iron....

Honestly, I played yesterday and after i put my ego and driver in the bag, i played a lot better.

I even started hitting my 5 iron off the tee and hit it around 230 yards each time, more than enough to put me within a short iron into some of the shorter par 4s.

Sure, this means I may not reach some of the longer par 5s in 2, but I wasn't doing that anyway using a driver and 3 wood.....

And i love my wedges...all 5 of them. (PW, GW, 56, 62, 64), used them all and with success.

Holy cow, what's your secret? That's a long 5 iron!

I agree with the statement about EVERYTHING Titleist....

I play titleist cb irons but thats mainly because when I got fitted for them years ago they were the only clubs that the shop had that I could hit well. In hind sight I wish I would have gone to different places and tried out other clubs but the guys who fit me were my firends and they recommended them as well....and I do love them and do not want to change them out....but the only reason Titleist cost so much is because they are pretty much THE name in golf....I dont know anyone who doesnt know who titleist is....

and their new 910d2 and d3 drivers....they look like overpriced rebadged 905...but with an adjustable hosel....

BUT I have not hit one....

Holy cow, what's your secret? That's a long 5 iron!

It's the Ci7...best iron i've ever hit. The ball I was using probably has a little to do with it as well. I have been using Slazenger Titanium Distance balls for a while, wrote about them in the ball thread, and they are very long balls. I also flew a 200 yard par 3 by about 20 yards with the 5 iron earlier that same day.

I imagine if I used tour balls, I wouldn't hit it as far.

The R11, maybe it's for some people but I just didn't like anything about it, besides the fact that it's white.

I'm going to be the weird one that says this but here goes nothing.......

A fairway wood. There, I said it. Honestly, If you are so far away you need a fairway wood, then you either need to lay up or you are playing an extremely long hole. Anything you can do with a FW you can do with a 2 or 3 iron IMO......And i like long irons over FWs. Hybrids are another story, bring them on!!!

Special tees, special towels, those little brushes for cleaning grooves, and the worst of all, the little clickers that count strokes. Most gadgets suck, though I've become attached to the hat clip that holds my Packers ball mark.

All I need is a 3 1/4" wooden tee, a white or black $1.99 towel from Walmart (black is the best) with a wet corner, the same 3 1/4" tee to clean grooves, and I keep my score in my noggin.

Kevin

I know some wont like this but VOKEYS are so over rated its not funny, there isnt one thing about them i like, they feel harsh and yes i can hit the sweet spot so its not that, inconsistent distance with them, just really dont like them, spin is about the only positive thing about them. Nike VR, MP-T10 and 11, Callaway X-Forged, Jaws, Scratch, TM xFT are far better IMO

Any club in your bag that you can't hit consistently is overrated. For me, that's fairway woods, 3-irons, and lob wedges. Accordingly, I only carry 11 clubs in my bag.

I'm sticking to my guns and say 3 wood, I tried the Mashie against the 3 wood and boy what a club this is,the 3 wood is being dropped from the bag but not against the 1 mashie but the 2 mashie,the 2 mashie went further for me than the 1 mashie,height was not a problem in either club but he 2 mashie just went and went and I hit it dead on every time.No contest against the 3 wood,pure strike with both and similar distance although the trajectory's were different,but the mashie was hit 10/10 against probably 5/10 for the 3 wood no contest.When I'm that far back I'm looking to get greenside and if on the green then it's a bonus.Now some trade ins required and I'm going to drop the dst No3 as well

I'm going to say tall people. I know it don't fit what the op had in mind, but tall people suck. They are simply a waste of time and do nothing but tear up the course because their swing is too long to keep track of, so half the time they either dig or play army golf. Tall people should be banned from the course! "End of rant"

Even though I carry one, I think that the 60* wedge is overrated. The answer that most amateurs have around the green is "more loft" but can't hit a lob wedge properly. I have been using my LW less and less. I like my three wedges, I just think that too many amateurs think that they need a 60*.

I agree I’m getting ready to take out my lob wedge and put in a Mashie M1. When I first got my lob wedge I had no problem with it. Now it just seems like every time I take it out I wish I hadn’t. One of the reasons I still have it is because it has a different (less) bounce then all of my other wedges and I use if from harder sand lies. Lots of them in the winter.

I'm going to say tall people. I know it don't fit what the op had in mind, but tall people suck. They are simply a waste of time and do nothing but tear up the course because their swing is too long to keep track of, so half the time they either dig or play army golf. Tall people should be banned from the course! "End of rant"

Never been happier to only be 5'10" :laughing:

Thanks for the laugh. I am short, so I'm glad I'm not overrated.

I will say 3 wood. A lot of amateurs have trouble hitting a 3 wood off the deck, me included. I have a 18 deg 5 wood (I guess close to a 4 wood) that use off tee and can still hit off fairway.

Also anything over a 6 iron. I have a 5 iron but I hit the hybrid better more often. So the 5 iron gets to hang out in the garage.

Duey, you're hilarious. Somewhere Bama is laughing. :D

Along the same lines... belly, chest, chin, forehead, etc. putters. Way overrated.

Well you know what they say about short people;

They got little hands
Little eyes
They walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Short People got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs