JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I have prom in April, and I will prolly be getting a tux soon. Thing is, I know nothing about formal wear. I just need some advice. Few things to know:

I am a big guy.
Prom colors are silver and black w/ red trim.

Help a guy out. What is 'in'? What are the basics?

Get a black tux, get a vest and make sure to go and get measured at the rental joint.

I don't know whats "in" right now but Tux's are classic. I love to look of standard cut tux with bow tie and suspenders, bow tie and vest is pretty classy too, but when else are you going to wear suspenders? Totally your call but those are my favorites. The only red should be your hankershief or flower.

I have prom in April, and I will prolly be getting a tux soon. Thing is, I know nothing about formal wear. I just need some advice. Few things to know:

I am a big guy.

Just had my graduation last year Aggro. There are a few styles you can go with some people went with just a tie with a shirt under the jacket and some went with a vest with a tie. I personally went with the vest because it really adds some extra class. If you are renting they will help you out and there are many styles you can choose from. A suit with pinstripes always looks great and I would prefer that over anything.

I would go with a Silver vest & tie and perhaps a red pocket cloth (it's this little thing that sticks out of your pocket) I don't know if that will exactly make sense but I'm not sure what else you could trim in a tuxedo.

Also there is the bowtie look but I haven't seen many people wear that around anymore.

Long story short if your renting or buying either way the place will help you out and get you suited up to look classy. Good luck!

Just had my graduation last year Aggro. There are a few styles you can go with some people went with just a tie with a shirt under the jacket and some went with a vest with a tie. I personally went with the vest because it really adds some extra class. If you are renting they will help you out and there are many styles you can choose from. A suit with pinstripes always looks great and I would prefer that over anything.

I would go with a Silver vest & tie and perhaps a red pocket cloth (it's this little thing that sticks out of your pocket) I don't know if that will exactly make sense but I'm not sure what else you could trim in a tuxedo.

Also there is the bowtie look but I haven't seen many people wear that around anymore.

Long story short if your renting or buying either way the place will help you out and get you suited up to look classy. Good luck!

Charcoal gray, red vest, silver shirt. For gods sake get the pants sized to a T, sloppy pants ruin a tux. Add in some iced out cuff links and bling out that prom dude. You only live once, oh, no tails...on the tux I mean.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Had a black tux with some pin stripes then my vest was orange/black pinstripes it was pretty sweet. I cant remember if I went bow tie or just nothing. I think it was bow tie.

edit: Whoops, it was just a regular tie, no bow tie. Orange/black tie.

Last edited:
Charcoal gray, red vest, silver shirt. For gods sake get the pants sized to a T, sloppy pants ruin a tux. Add in some iced out cuff links and bling out that prom dude. You only live once, oh, no tails...on the tux I mean.

This man, first thing anyone sees if your pants are even a little baggy it just ruins the whole tuxedo. Get some nice cuff links and honestly if you want to look good for pictures and they are outside, wear some nice shades.

Yes, definitely what SW FLA said and get your vest fit to a T to! Mine was just a little big and I hated it but had it took up a little right before prom and it made it a lot better.

Black tux, silver vest, red bowtie. Don't get tails.

I kinda like the Euro Tie and vest myself. I think I wanna little red, but I still wanna look classy. What is up with the vented and non-vented jackets? Whats the difference?

I kinda like the Euro Tie and vest myself. I think I wanna little red, but I still wanna look classy. What is up with the vented and non-vented jackets? Whats the difference?

I wanna go on a limb here and say the vented has a little flap in the back and is slightly longer, almost like a slit on both sides, while the non-vented isnt. I think non-vented looks cleaner.

I really like this:

564812.jpg

Lots of good advice on here so I really only have one thing to add...the vest...if you have a long torso mosts vests will ride too short. Unless you plann on keeping the jacket buttoned all night then make sure the vest is proper length. Swa FL was right about the pants but your shirt showing betwwen your pants and the bottom of the vest is a killer also.

This is what it is all about!
AustinDumbJC.jpg

Also, make sure the fit between your shoulder blades is exact.
Bunching material there is an absolute NEGATIVE.

Hahaha awesome. Don't do this...On second thought, why not.

I think the overarching theme is just like golf, get a good fitting ....and a dance lesson or two.

This is what it is all about!
AustinDumbJC.jpg

Go with Tails. the classic "Cut-a-Way" style is too kool.

I wanna go on a limb here and say the vented has a little flap in the back and is slightly longer, almost like a slit on both sides, while the non-vented isnt. I think non-vented looks cleaner.

I really like this:

564812.jpg

Thats what mine looked like expect I had orange/black pinstripe vest. Sweet tux for sure!

Lots of good advice on here so I really only have one thing to add...the vest...if you have a long torso mosts vests will ride too short. Unless you plann on keeping the jacket buttoned all night then make sure the vest is proper length. Swa FL was right about the pants but your shirt showing betwwen your pants and the bottom of the vest is a killer also.

I second this as well. I don't know how prom works in the states but most likely you are not going to keep your jacket on all night because it does get hot when your dancing and what not. So make sure your vest fits nicely and is of length. If you are inside (I dunno maybe you do prom in a gymnasium or something) the jacket is tough to keep on.

I'm a big fan of buying a suit. It is always handy to have something ready to go when formal wear is called for. I've worn my suit more times than I can count in the last 8 months.
If you can swing a nice affordable quality suit, go for it.

I am a big guy.

Is the school dictating what colors you wear? I don't recall them doing that back in my day.

My senior prom was a few years ago (08') and I wore an all black tuxedo. All pieces including a regular tie, jacket, vest, shirt, pants, and shoes were black. It was sort of a "pinstripe" of satin black and silk black. My date said she liked it, so that's all that mattered :bananadance:

I didn't want to take that thing off!

Hey aggro have fun at prom! Certainly some good memories there lol. I was in 4 weddings last year and had to get fitted each time. Don't get a cummerbund, go with a vest. Personally I prefer the vest/bow tie look. But that's preference.

The biggest thing is you are renting so they arent going to sew you into it. When they size you they'll tell you when to come pick it up; usually 24 hours before the event. Be sure you try it on there, they could mess something up from the initial sizing till then and if you don't catch it there you can't fix it 30 mins before yo leave. That's probably the best advice.

If you go to a local tux rental they will most likely Have a book of the tuxedos they offer and different color vests, accessories. Shiny shoes, cuff links, the sweet shirt buttons. Pick what ya like. It's hard to look bad in a tuxedo that's fitted right.

If you have a date ask her what color her dress is and get that color for your pocket square.

Back