I am part of that test, funny enough.

Thats great Aggro. I've never tried a T.P. Mills, but can't wait for the chance.

Thats great Aggro. I've never tried a T.P. Mills, but can't wait for the chance.

Maybe this can change my views. That, and they are giving it to one of us. *fingers crossed*

===== QUOTE thedue ====

lol, spoken like a hawk!

===== /QUOTE ====

Don't you mean "spoken like a Razr!"

Oh hawks pretty sharp, but... Lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

First, I will not spend 300 bucks on any club. Not even a driver.

That said, IF I had the money, I would pay more for a new driver. Why? Because, personally, I cannot find a way to justify the price in a putter.

I will say this. This philosophy does not apply to custom putters. They are not mass produced like a Scotty or Redwood.

I used to say the same thing Aggro, lol

VERY well put on the end part. I'm sure many here (other than Duey lol) think I'm nuts for my putter ho'edness (made that up!) but I'm telling you theres just something about a unique putter that is fully custom to your specs, finding the spec's that fit my putting stroke was 1000% more important than all the fancy-butt drivers I've ho'd. The putter is the most personal club in the bag IMO, and because of that I don't mind spending for it. That said, I am against trailer queens, if you got it, play it. I take all mine out on course, they all need a little vitamin D on course lol.

This is one topic thats always going to be polarized, its a personal thing though so thats ok. I agree witht he school of though you use your putter more and in my case my putting has saved me WAY more strokes than the driver changes/upgrades ever have and likely will. If its a putter thats not to your specs to fit your personal stroke though, then I do agree 300.00 is a bit much.

I've just never had to buy a $300 putter. I suppose I'm lucky that the perfect putter for me is less than $150.

I just couldn't spend $300 on a putter, I don't know why, but I just can't. $150 is as high as I will go and I don't even like that.

Most of us pay what we personally deem affordable for a quality golf club. Some wait a year or two to buy their clubs used, avoiding first year "sticker shock." Many golfers never upgrade once they find the set of clubs (or putter) that works for them. Others buy the newest stuff every year, others are bargain hunters.

Its the same off the golf course. Look at your golf course parking lot - not every car is the same - old or new, shiny or dirty, big or small, expensive or thrifty, etc..., they all do the same basic job - get their owners to the golf course! LOL

Life would sure be dull if we were all the same!

Reactions: JR
Nice post. I'd rep you if I wasnt ob my phone.

Most of us pay what we personally deem affordable for a quality golf club. Some wait a year or two to buy their clubs used, avoiding first year "sticker shock." Many golfers never upgrade once they find the set of clubs (or putter) that works for them. Others buy the newest stuff every year, others are bargain hunters.

Its the same off the golf course. Look at your golf course parking lot - not every car is the same - old or new, shiny or dirty, big or small, expensive or thrifty, etc..., they all do the same basic job - get their owners to the golf course! LOL

Life would sure be dull if we were all the same!

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

You lose a little cred if you think a driver swing and a putting stroke are equal. A stroke that most of the time is less than 4 feet in length to a swing that

travels in excess of 15. Why are you more accurate with your wedge than your driver? I can easily show you a new $100 putter that will perform almost exactly as the new $300 putter. Show me a driver that is $100 new that consistanly performs like the top 5 drivers and I will consider changing my stance. Even second tier brand drivers are $200+ new.

Like I said before, if the $300-$400 putter is best for you, perfect. That is preference. Actual performance is a different story. And this has nothing to do with the importance of putting on the game. So stop already with equating money spent on putters to whether said player thinks putting is important. I use a $170 corza ghost, not because of cost, because I am confident with it.

Every time something like this comes up there are two sides.

Side 1
How can anybody spend this kind of money for a putter. Tour pros win with putters that are next to nothing (see Furyk) and there has not been a tone of change in shapes, styles, etc... done to the putter to justify the cost.

Side 2
The putter people just do not understand how anybody could think this way. Drivers cost X amount of money and you hit that a third of the time as a putter per round. The putter is personal and fitting is such an important thing.

In the end, there is no right or wrong answer. To the OP, I do find it a little funny that at the last outing, you won in an incredible proto putter and really didnt even know what to do with it. You were ready to sell it and fast forward a year and now you are a collector and love your flatsticks. Ironically, you also still use a VERY cheap putter and say you putt the best with it, showing that maybe it does not matter.

To the people that use the argument that drivers cost as much or more, so why should it matter, well I do see a difference there. The driver is a full swing, a violent swing, and has many more parts to reach success. An example, take a brick on a stick and swing it like a driver. You would get almost nothing close to being able to play it like a tour level driver. However do the same thing and putt with it and with in a few days of practice, you could get by.

Now I am not saying that money should not be spent on a putter. I would never and have tons of them myself, but I do not think the technology is the same in that comparison. I can see them price wise for the art they have and the confidence they instill, but without the full swing, I just do not see the same argument being valid.

Again all of this is strictly my opinion.

Reactions: JR
Good post.

Every time something like this comes up there are two sides.

Side 1
How can anybody spend this kind of money for a putter. Tour pros win with putters that are next to nothing (see Furyk) and there has not been a tone of change in shapes, styles, etc... done to the putter to justify the cost.

Side 2
The putter people just do not understand how anybody could think this way. Drivers cost X amount of money and you hit that a third of the time as a putter per round. The putter is personal and fitting is such an important thing.

In the end, there is no right or wrong answer. To the OP, I do find it a little funny that at the last outing, you won in an incredible proto putter and really didnt even know what to do with it. You were ready to sell it and fast forward a year and now you are a collector and love your flatsticks. Ironically, you also still use a VERY cheap putter and say you putt the best with it, showing that maybe it does not matter.

To the people that use the argument that drivers cost as much or more, so why should it matter, well I do see a difference there. The driver is a full swing, a violent swing, and has many more parts to reach success. An example, take a brick on a stick and swing it like a driver. You would get almost nothing close to being able to play it like a tour level driver. However do the same thing and putt with it and with in a few days of practice, you could get by.

Now I am not saying that money should not be spent on a putter. I would never and have tons of them myself, but I do not think the technology is the same in that comparison. I can see them price wise for the art they have and the confidence they instill, but without the full swing, I just do not see the same argument being valid.

Again all of this is strictly my opinion.

JMan and I and probably Due for that matter are guys cut from a very similar mold as far as putters go. I think there are some fine SC putters out there. If there is one big difference in my view between something like a Lajosi or a Nead and an SC it is that guys like Lajosi and Nead give you a chance to work with a guy that knows what he is doing with the intention of building a putter to a set of specs that make sense for you. The result can often be something that at least for you specifically is very hard to beat. If I could gift every serious golfer something truly special it would be the opportunity to do that at least one time in their golfing life, recognizing that not everyone can just go and do it. You may well find a putter at a lower price point that works just as well but that is more of a try one, put it aside, try another, put it aside until you find one that seems to work for you. In the case of SC, you can pay twice as much as what Lajosi or Nead want and still be using the try one after the other approach and for me as much as anything else that is what makes SC's price points a little tough to swallow.

Now blowing $300.00 on a putter just because you can does not make much sense to me. Heck just because you can does not mean it will be a good putter for you. You could easily spend that much or more on a putter and not have anything that you can putt with worth a darn. That might be OK if you collect putters and need something to fill a specific hole in your collection.

My exploration within the world of custom/relatively costly putters is now in a pretty narrow range, mainly because I know pretty much what has a shot at working for me. While there is the whole thing of building a putter collection I really don't have much interest in going down that road. I'm totally OK with folks that like to do that. Heck there surely is nothing wrong with it. In my case I look for putters that I am likely to game under a certain set of circumstances. So much like Jman, there is not a single putter I own that does not get some bag time.

Everytime these things come up though I love to see the different sides, its all personal preference and that, to me, is one of the main things that is so awesome about this game. I know not everyone see's things the same way, I dont think anyone here ever truly gets up in arms about that here and thats another reason its SO much better here than other places. Just my 2 cents though.

Never said equal, just not that different. Get wristy in either and see what happens. Get to long in either see what happens, just because its a longer move doesn't mean it doesn't share properties. I play $69 driver that flat-out out performs a $300 dollar driver from the same company. It's all about getting what works for the user. I use a secondhand seemore currently but would love to have a custom higher end putter because I have a design in mind that I can't buy off the rack.

You lose a little cred if you think a driver swing and a putting stroke are equal. A stroke that most of the time is less than 4 feet in length to a swing that

travels in excess of 15. Why are you more accurate with your wedge than your driver? I can easily show you a new $100 putter that will perform almost exactly as the new $300 putter. Show me a driver that is $100 new that consistanly performs like the top 5 drivers and I will consider changing my stance. Even second tier brand drivers are $200+ new.

Like I said before, if the $300-$400 putter is best for you, perfect. That is preference. Actual performance is a different story. And this has nothing to do with the importance of putting on the game. So stop already with equating money spent on putters to whether said player thinks putting is important. I use a $170 corza ghost, not because of cost, because I am confident with it.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

The man makes the putter not the other away around.

It's easy to justify spending $300+ on a driver that can get the ball hundreds of yards down the fairway but hard to justify $200 for a putter that rarely hits the ball more than 30 feet.

I would love a Scotty California Montery. I would love a Ping Redwood ZB. I would really enjoy a Gambler. And a $300 stick may actually help somebody get more confidence and drain more putts. If you don't understand $300 putters don't buy them.

JMan and I and probably Due for that matter are guys cut from a very similar mold as far as putters go. I think there are some fine SC putters out there. If there is one big difference in my view between something like a Lajosi or a Nead and an SC it is that guys like Lajosi and Nead give you a chance to work with a guy that knows what he is doing with the intention of building a putter to a set of specs that make sense for you. The result can often be something that at least for you specifically is very hard to beat. If I could gift every serious golfer something truly special it would be the opportunity to do that at least one time in their golfing life, recognizing that not everyone can just go and do it. You may well find a putter at a lower price point that works just as well but that is more of a try one, put it aside, try another, put it aside until you find one that seems to work for you. In the case of SC, you can pay twice as much as what Lajosi or Nead want and still be using the try one after the other approach and for me as much as anything else that is what makes SC's price points a little tough to swallow.

Now blowing $300.00 on a putter just because you can does not make much sense to me. Heck just because you can does not mean it will be a good putter for you. You could easily spend that much or more on a putter and not have anything that you can putt with worth a darn. That might be OK if you collect putters and need something to fill a specific hole in your collection.

My exploration within the world of custom/relatively costly putters is now in a pretty narrow range, mainly because I know pretty much what has a shot at working for me. While there is the whole thing of building a putter collection I really don't have much interest in going down that road. I'm totally OK with folks that like to do that. Heck there surely is nothing wrong with it. In my case I look for putters that I am likely to game under a certain set of circumstances. So much like Jman, there is not a single putter I own that does not get some bag time.

I would love a Scotty California Montery. I would love a Ping Redwood ZB. I would really enjoy a Gambler. And a $300 stick may actually help somebody get more confidence and drain more putts. If you don't understand $300 putters don't buy them.

Very, very, well put gents! +rep for you each!

Sw fla,

We can agree to disagree, but I find it hard to believe your $69 driver performs like the new razr, R11, burner or even an R9 etc unless it was bought used. No offense, but that is bs.

Give me any 15 year old putter and I can make it at least serviceable in any round. With a 15 year old driver it would probably be ugly! Haha

Sw fla,

We can agree to disagree, but I find it hard to believe your $69 driver performs like the new razr, R11, burner or even an R9 etc unless it was bought used. No offense, but that is bs.

Give me any 15 year old putter and I can make it at least serviceable in any round. With a 15 year old driver it would probably be ugly! Haha

You seem to have quite a bit of knowledge and informed opinions, but you need to choose your tone and language a bit more carefully.

Ok, we shall disagree then.

Sw fla,

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Sw fla,

How is that BS if it is what performs the best for him? Its a personal preference thing, I really don't get that people second gues someone elses personal preference. If it works for you, how can it be wrong?

Anywho, I was going to post a new thread in the putter forum about me being a ho...again but I think I'll just let this one die down a bit first lol :bananadance:

Back