SW FLA and Hawk, my apologies if I offended.

SW FLA, are you speaking of your Sumo? Because it was $250-$300 msrp new. I thought we were speaking of new prices when it came putters and drivers?

SW FLA, are you speaking of your Sumo? Because it was $250-$300 msrp new. I thought we were speaking of new prices when it came putters and drivers?

NIKE Dymo not Sumo, darn ipad

I agree. If a $300 putter either inspires or gives someone the confidence to become a better putter, more power to 'em. I personally dont think that a Cameron, Bettinardi or any of the other high-end putters are any better than a $75 Cleveland or a $150 Odyssey; but Im not about to criticize someone for choosing to have a high-end putter in their bag.

How is that BS if it is what performs the best for him? Its a personal preference thing, I really don't get that people second gues someone elses personal preference. If it works for you, how can it be wrong?

Anywho, I was going to post a new thread in the putter forum about me being a ho...again but I think I'll just let this one die down a bit first lol :bananadance:

Because no new Nike drivers are $69

Because no new Nike drivers are $69

The Dymo goes for about 80.00 in alot of spots now. Its still a cheap driver no matter how you look at it.

Either way, we come back to the old principle that you spend what you want. Doesn't make you right or wrong, its your perogative just like its someone elses perogative, we really shouldnt just what soemone else plays but I think we all somewhat fall victim to doing just that sometimes. If its what you personally want, sweet! More power to ya, ya know?

Eh no biggie dude. I couldn't tell ya what the release price was. Stumbled into a rack of them at golf galaxy about 8 months ago. Guy said they sucked and spun to much, but it went high and far for me and were priced $69.99 new, I should've bought two.

Back on topic, today I toyed with a seemore db4 (man today was an awesome day!), if I could find a budget putter that felt that awesome I would buy it in a flash. There are just some things that cost more, cost doesn't always equal effectiveness.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

My apologies, I assumed the basis of the $300 putter discussion vs $300 driver was new prices. Of course you can always get great deals on last years or 2 years old models, putters and drivers alike.

Like some others have said, these threads are always interesting to watch develop and read both sides of the argument. :bicker: :eyepoke: :stickbeat: :zsimpsons:

That being said, I've always seen putters as a very personal choice. If you're on a budget or not, get out there and demo any and every putter that falls within what you're comfortable spending until you find the one that's right for your stroke and game. I had probably tried out somewhere north of 50 putters before I bought my Rife Two Bar Hybrid. Not the cheapest I tried out, not the most expensive (but close!), but it was the one I felt most comfortable standing over a putt with. And that's the most important thing to me!

This is my opinion and does not reflect the views of TP Mills Co.

I would pay whatever the cost to get a putter that allowed me to use it only 18 times. I think it's more important to get fit for your putter, than a driver.

This is my opinion and does not reflect the views of TP Mills Co.

I would pay whatever the cost to get a putter that allowed me to use it only 18 times. I think it's more important to get fit for your putter, than a driver.

I can't argue with that! Give me 25 and I would be elated.

Eh no biggie dude. I couldn't tell ya what the release price was. Stumbled into a rack of them at golf galaxy about 8 months ago. Guy said they sucked and spun to much, but it went high and far for me and were priced $69.99 new, I should've bought two.

Back on topic, today I toyed with a seemore db4 (man today was an awesome day!), if I could find a budget putter that felt that awesome I would buy it in a flash. There are just some things that cost more, cost doesn't always equal effectiveness.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

I had a DB-4 (ask dirt_guy how it is workin'). It was the sweetest feeling putter, but I couldn't make a putt. I'm from the camp that whatever putter makes the game of golf easier for you, it's worth the price you paid.

Many know I went through 4 putters last year. I spent 100 on a spider, 110 on a Seemore sb1, 220 on a DB-4, and 160 on a ghost...all of those putters were nice, but I couldn't justify the purchase. I snagged Jman's Seemore for 110 and I can say I would have paid 300 for it after seeing how much my stroke has improved.

The thesis is, if you find a putter that makes you comfortable and confident, it's price isn't important.

You lose a little cred if you think a driver swing and a putting stroke are equal. A stroke that most of the time is less than 4 feet in length to a swing that

travels in excess of 15. Why are you more accurate with your wedge than your driver? I can easily show you a new $100 putter that will perform almost exactly as the new $300 putter. Show me a driver that is $100 new that consistanly performs like the top 5 drivers and I will consider changing my stance. Even second tier brand drivers are $200+ new.

Like I said before, if the $300-$400 putter is best for you, perfect. That is preference. Actual performance is a different story. And this has nothing to do with the importance of putting on the game. So stop already with equating money spent on putters to whether said player thinks putting is important. I use a $170 corza ghost, not because of cost, because I am confident with it.

you overpaid
and yes a driver swing is equal to a putter stroke. Their both 1 stroke on the card.

you overpaid
and yes a driver swing is equal to a putter stroke. Their both 1 stroke on the card.

I overpaid for what? I won my putter in a tournament. And we were talking swing mechanics and flaws, not strokes. Your sarcasm is noted though.

I overpaid for what? I won my putter in a tournament. And we were talking swing mechanics and flaws, not strokes. Your sarcasm is noted though.

There are so many swing flaws with both the driver swing and putting stroke that it's tough to compare which justifies the more expensive club, in my opinion.

I have a SC teryllium putter I bought brand new many years ago. I have a couple friends that golf left handed that try to buy it from me all the time. They say they love the feel and the look. They just won't spend the dollars to get one for themselves. These same friends will both run to Golf USA the day a new driver comes out and drop $300-500 on a driver that will get them 5 more yards (deeper in the trees). With that said, I would definitely use a cheaper putter if it made me better putter but I never try others out so I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone of of anything as everyone has already made up their minds.

I've gone through more putters then socks and what I've discovered: I do not like 303 stainless steel putters, I do not like putters with inserts, I do not like mallets, and I could go on and on.

However, I do like milled carbon steel putters...and they are expensive. The only one I found that I really like is the Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 (the tungsten weight flange behind the face gives it an even softer feel), and even that took some tweaking. It is 36-inches long, has 4º of loft, and the lie angle is 68º. I also replaced the shaft with a UST/Mamiya Frequency Filtered shaft. Yes it's a $269 putter, but it works for me. Do I make every putt? No. But I love the feel, the balance, and the look.

I'm not going to try to convince anyone of of anything as everyone has already made up their minds.

I've gone through more putters then socks and what I've discovered: I do not like 303 stainless steel putters, I do not like putters with inserts, I do not like mallets, and I could go on and on.

However, I do like milled carbon steel putters...and they are expensive. The only one I found that I really like is the Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 (the tungsten weight flange behind the face gives it an even softer feel), and even that took some tweaking. It is 36-inches long, has 4º of loft, and the lie angle is 68º. I also replaced the shaft with a UST/Mamiya Frequency Filtered shaft. Yes it's a $269 putter, but it works for me. Do I make every putt? No. But I love the feel, the balance, and the look.

Exact thoughts I have. If a putter makes the game easier (whether it costs 25 or 300) for you it's well worth the cost.

I decided to switch to a scotty cameron in order to give myself no more excuses. I didnt mind spending the $300 because it meant that I had only myself to blame. No more switching putters after a missed 2 footer. I know that I am using the best putter out there and that leaves me with a calm mind.

however, I have used $60 putters before (Cleveland Classics) and I puttted just as well with it, I mean they felt identical.... so maybe my reasoning is flawed.

To quote my grandfather, "A Kia and a Lexus will both get you where you need to go. I'll take the Lexus." Very smart man.

I've paid $15 to $2k for a putter. Did I putt any better with a cheap vs expensive putter...nope not a bit! Some might feel better but it didn't make the ball go into the hole any easier. You think you should make everything with a high dollar putter but in most cases it doesn't happen for me. You might think it looks better or have a certain brand in your bag but whatever works the best go for it. I've been through 40+ putters in last 5 years and still looking for the one. I used to be brand picky and would judge a person by what putter they had in their bag. High $ Camerons, T.P. Mills Customs, and Bettinardi Tours.... I've owned some of them all. I've had custom putters made just for me and so excited to get them on green and none really made anymore putts for me. Man did it look sweet but if doesn't help me make putts I don't keep it. I've been going custom routes lately to get 370g headweight I like but when you do that so goes the price. I went to back to Cameron due to weights and get 370g weight was easier and cheaper than going $500+ custom route. I loved my Del Mar but it was time to try something else.

Yeah I know I'm a horrible putter and I will admit that. But I've learned to try different models, styles, and shapes until you know what you like. Then keep trying brands that have style you like until you find the one. Maybe I just get some putting lessons! :D

Now what have I been putting with lately ? Custom CL-1 350 Milled putter than is 370g that I begged Chip & Lee to make in the first place.

$300+ price for a putter is something I just become used to. Make one that is around 370g and lefty then you have my attention for sure.

Doesn't Rotello say that golf is a game of confidence? By that I mean if a person is more confident when he/she steps up to hit their new $400 driver or use their $300 putter then they have already helped themselves greatly in the war that we call golf. Of course they do still need to put a swing on the club. I think the same can be said for your fws, hybrids, irons, and wedges and getting fitted for lie/loft angles, launch angles and spin rates, and proper shafts and flexes. We are all just trying to do what we can to arm ourselves with the weapons that we believe give us the best opportunity to score the best a/k/a make us confident. At least that's my thinking. Live and let live I say.

I've been through a host of putters also.I would consider myself in the group that doesn't pay three to five hundred dollars for a new driver. For that matter I try and not spend much on any club.But I do play a three hundred dollar putter.It's was more than my whole bag of clubs.And as far as I'm concerned it was worth it.Made to specs I wanted it's the club I'm most confident with because it works where the others didn't.At the time I ordered it I thought I was being a fool but
after I got it and rolled it I knew I made a good decision.

Last edited:
I'm having a pretty good laugh every time someone makes a crack here about expensive putters. Some of these same people go out and spend $300/$400 on a driver and change that out say every couple years without blinking an eye, but wouldn't dare spend $200/$300 on a putter that they will use at least 30 to 40 times a round as compared to the driver they might hit 16 times at most.
There's nothing wrong with a $20 putter, nothing at all if it does the job. But likewise, if a $300 putter feels great, gives you confidence and get's the ball in the hole then why is that a problem?

I fall into this category. I have used one or another of 25 Ping Anser's I own, none of which I paid over $50 for new or used, but I paid over $300 for my current driver. I putt very well with a old Ping Anser but I have yet to find a $20 driver I can hit almost every fairway with like I can my current one.
With that being said, I think a $300 driver today given the current technology, would help a stuggling player more than a $300 putter in most cases. Not all, but in most. Spend your money where it will do you the most good.

tried as many putter as i could from price range 50-300, but i just cannot throw my 100 ish putter away.

I'm having a pretty good laugh every time someone makes a crack here about expensive putters. Some of these same people go out and spend $300/$400 on a driver and change that out say every couple years without blinking an eye, but wouldn't dare spend $200/$300 on a putter that they will use at least 30 to 40 times a round as compared to the driver they might hit 16 times at most.

There's nothing wrong with a $20 putter, nothing at all if it does the job. But likewise, if a $300 putter feels great, gives you confidence and get's the ball in the hole then why is that a problem?
If I putted better with a $300 putter and it was better than the $100 putter I currently play, I would break down and pay for it in a heartbeat. Point is, it doesn't, so I stick with what I currently use.

Back