me1026

Reaction score
Handicap
Need some iron help... moving from some old school blades to a little more friendly club. The 2 main ones I'm looking at are the Adams CB1 and the Taylormade R9TP. Has anyone tried both of these? What are the differences? Are the any other good options for similar size/shape in a players cb (I like the MP63s but those are too pricey, didn't like the AP1s). I tend to be a high launch high spin player but don't play enough anymore to bag the old blades. Bad shot is a high hook to I don't want anything with a lot of offset.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Those are two good options, you could look at Adams CB 2 they are more forgiving and they have progressive offset, as you get into the longer irons there is more offset in the iron. Mizuno JPX 800 Pro the clubs Charles Howell III games....

I just did a full iron fitting with GolfTEC and the R9TP came out as overall best for my swing. I would recommend you find a GolfTEC nearby and do a fitting if you even possibly can - it is well worth it. The irons I "wanted" most were not good for me in the end numbers, and the R9TP wasn't even on my short list originally before all the testing. If you're going to make the investment it is worth the time and effort to do it right.

If i were choosing between the two, i would go with the Adams CB1's. I actually game the CB2's and i LOVE them! You really can't beat them for the price and the fact that they are forged. the R9's are cast and i really think TM missed out by not putting out any forged irons until this year. i think you would transition well from blades to the CB1's.

Have you tried these? Really nice flight and distance even with a slower swing speed. Extremely forgiving as well. Plus they look sharp. They will likely be my next set.

c86a9466f5c758afd3be473911a55a9f_gallery.jpg

MX-19

Last edited:
Curious what Taylormade missed out on? They sold a ton of irons last year.

If i were choosing between the two, i would go with the Adams CB1's. I actually game the CB2's and i LOVE them! You really can't beat them for the price and the fact that they are forged. the R9's are cast and i really think TM missed out by not putting out any forged irons until this year. i think you would transition well from blades to the CB1's.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Curious what Taylormade missed out on? They sold a ton of irons last year.

B/c they aren't forged, offer a buttery feel, and lack in workability?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Oh yea.

Do you just like the look of the 2 sets you've named as your main contenders? I'd definitely get myself down to a shop and hit as many as you can, or even book a fitting session to tell you what sort of set up you should be leaning towards.
Also because hitting new gear is such great fun. :D

MX-300 irons maybe. Of course I'm biased, however they meet all of your criteria and offer massive forgivness as well!

I think you can work a R9 iron. Maybe not the Burner Irons that much, but the R9's yeah.

MX-300 irons maybe. Of course I'm biased, however they meet all of your criteria and offer massive forgivness as well!

+1, I too am biased, and I love my Mizzy's. They have been in the bag for a year and will probably be there for at least 4/5 more.

I think you can work a R9 iron. Maybe not the Burner Irons that much, but the R9's yeah.

You can definitely work the R9 TP. And as one who left a forged blade for them the feel is very good and pure on solid shots. I don't miss the forged feel in comparison, but like the extra forgiveness and distance.

I just bought the PING S56's. The only other iron that was close for me numbers wise was the Adams CB2 - I loved the feel and the workability. PING's were just better for me in every category. I also hit the TaylorMade R9's. I did like them, feel, playability, and my distance was fantastic - control just wasn't as good as the CB2's or the PING S56's. I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly. Both great clubs. I do believe the R9's had slightly more offset than the CB2's.

#1. get fitted. But....
My advice, game the R9 and not the TP version. I hit both a lot, and the Non TP version was more forgiving, and still workable both ways while adding 10 yards to my long irons. They look nearly identical at address, and they are a little cheaper to boot. The rep in my area said most of the low handicappers in my area chose the non TP like I did. My instructor is a +2 and he gamed r9's. Both are great sets though. Sorry, I have never hit the Adams.

I know for me, with whats out there right now, the cb 2's have to be a front runner for feel, workability and value.

Need some iron help... moving from some old school blades to a little more friendly club. The 2 main ones I'm looking at are the Adams CB1 and the Taylormade R9TP. Has anyone tried both of these? What are the differences? Are the any other good options for similar size/shape in a players cb (I like the MP63s but those are too pricey, !!!

Try the MP-63s. I absolutly love them, just got them. they feel great.

Back