Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice hoop breeze, how are your ally-oop 360's?

Back in my playing days, good, these days I don't think I could dunk anymore but I haven't tried because I would hurt something. Can you take your weather back?

So my browser opens up to MSN and this headline "Oil prices soar to two-year high on worries over crisis in Libya". Really? Since the last time oil soared Ive realized that the oil companies do what they want when they want with prices. They made billions last time they raised prices for really no reason at all. And I know I dont understand it all but I do understand billions and paying over $5 a gallon for gas. So this article says like all the other times oil went up "amid fears of" unrest or a hurricane or because FLTC might shave his beard. Whatever. But then a few paragraphs down I read this: "Any production losses in Libya could be quickly absorbed by other countries like Saudi Arabia. The official Saudi Press Agency quoted Saudi Arabia's oil minister Ali Naimi as saying that Saudi's production capacity of 12.5 million barrels per day can help "compensate for any shortage in international supplies." Saudi Arabia currently produces around 8 million barrels per day." What? So why are prices going up again? Because they can. When anything happens somewhere else in the world the big oil companies just see this as $$$$$$$ and smile. First egypt. Then Libya. Then $$$$ for the big oil companies.

Last edited:
And the best part OEM, is that we have stupid hippies running around this country who chain themselves to coastlines to prevent the good ol' US of A from doing any sort of off shore drilling. It is a joke, but it is what it is. We all continue to get screwed, every single day of our lives, while some fine cigar smoking tool makes his wads of cash. Nothing pisses me off more than paying that much money for a gallon of gas.

And the best part OEM, is that we have stupid hippies running around this country who chain themselves to coastlines to prevent the good ol' US of A from doing any sort of off shore drilling. It is a joke, but it is what it is. We all continue to get screwed, every single day of our lives, while some fine cigar smoking tool makes his wads of cash. Nothing pisses me off more than paying that much money for a gallon of gas.

You and me both bro. Gas, the natural kind for the car not the bodily kind, was something I always just ignored and didnt care about. But now I see whats going on. These clowns just make the price whatever they want based on what? Oil futures? Fake stuff. I hate it. Makes me angry that I have to pay what they say and I cant do much about it. The reason I bought a diesel car was because of the MPG and the price of diesel was cheaper. Now its usually the most expensive. Why? Its the easiest form of gas to produce. Makes no sense. High diesel prices makes everything we buy cost more.

And the funny part is that we all will freak out if we see $3.19/gallon vs. $3.15/gallon. .4 difference in a 14 gallon tank for a fill up costs .68 yet we act like it's $600 dollars difference. Amazing what gas prices can do to the mind and reasoning.

You and me both bro. Gas, the natural kind for the car not the bodily kind, was something I always just ignored and didnt care about. But now I see whats going on. These clowns just make the price whatever they want based on what? Oil futures? Fake stuff. I hate it. Makes me angry that I have to pay what they say and I cant do much about it. The reason I bought a diesel car was because of the MPG and the price of diesel was cheaper. Now its usually the most expensive. Why? Its the easiest form of gas to produce. Makes no sense. High diesel prices makes everything we buy cost more.

So my browser opens up to MSN and this headline "Oil prices soar to two-year high on worries over crisis in Libya". Really? Since the last time oil soared Ive realized that the oil companies do what they want when they want with prices. They made billions last time they raised prices for really no reason at all. And I know I dont understand it all but I do understand billions and paying over $5 a gallon for gas. So this article says like all the other times oil went up "amid fears of" unrest or a hurricane or because FLTC might shave his beard. Whatever. But then a few paragraphs down I read this: "Any production losses in Libya could be quickly absorbed by other countries like Saudi Arabia. The official Saudi Press Agency quoted Saudi Arabia's oil minister Ali Naimi as saying that Saudi's production capacity of 12.5 million barrels per day can help "compensate for any shortage in international supplies." Saudi Arabia currently produces around 8 million barrels per day." What? So why are prices going up again? Because they can. When anything happens somewhere else in the world the big oil companies just see this $$$$$$$ and smile. First egypt. Then Libya. Then $$$$ for the big oil companies.
Good rant. I am really wishing I did not own a truck right about now.

Good rant. I am really wishing I did not own a truck right about now.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 myself that I cant drive because of my commute. So the gf gets the pleasure and so its days are numbered. Actually by this October the truck is gone.

Great rant Kevin!!! What further :angry: 's me about the whole situation is that the gas that is being delivered today was bought like 6 months ago so I always wondered why does the conflict today so grossly affect the price of gas. It is just wrong almost to the level of criminal what these gas companies do.

I feel your pain with the truck. I used to have a Ford F-150 Supercrew that I loved that is gone now, replaced with a more economical option.

So my browser opens up to MSN and this headline "Oil prices soar to two-year high on worries over crisis in Libya". Really? Since the last time oil soared Ive realized that the oil companies do what they want when they want with prices. They made billions last time they raised prices for really no reason at all. And I know I dont understand it all but I do understand billions and paying over $5 a gallon for gas. So this article says like all the other times oil went up "amid fears of" unrest or a hurricane or because FLTC might shave his beard. Whatever. But then a few paragraphs down I read this: "Any production losses in Libya could be quickly absorbed by other countries like Saudi Arabia. The official Saudi Press Agency quoted Saudi Arabia's oil minister Ali Naimi as saying that Saudi's production capacity of 12.5 million barrels per day can help "compensate for any shortage in international supplies." Saudi Arabia currently produces around 8 million barrels per day." What? So why are prices going up again? Because they can. When anything happens somewhere else in the world the big oil companies just see this as $$$$$$$ and smile. First egypt. Then Libya. Then $$$$ for the big oil companies.

what I simply do not understand, is HOW DOES THIS EFFECT AMERICA?!?! I don't want to get into politcs, war, socialology, I simply want to state one fact: The largest % of Gas we obtain is from CANADA, then MEXICO, THEN Saudia Arabia, then Venezuala. In fact Libya is NO where on the list. So if someone could explain to me how problems in the Middle East (specifically Libya this time) effect oil prices in Canada.

I miss my truck too.....

Edit for those who don't believe me.: http://www.energyrefuge.com/archives/where_oil_comes_from.htm

Don't know about trusting the site's other info but I know list is sound. (first site I found off google)

I have a Dodge Ram 1500 myself that I cant drive because of my commute. So the gf gets the pleasure and so its days are numbered. Actually by this October the truck is gone.

I'm getting my motorcycle permit, for fear of gas prices this summer.

Libya is low on the list in terms of oil production/export compared to other countries however their oil is some of the 'cleanest' in the world and does not take as much refinement to create gas or other petro products. Some countries crave this oil because of the lower refinery costs associted with it so if Libya raises prices, the rest of OPEC will copy cat the move because the can and then you'll see higher prices across the board. Which in turn wil raise the prices of other consumer goods because how do goods get shipped to their final destinations? trucks, etc. and they use a ton of gas.

Moral of this lesson?? Buy your golf clubs now while shipping costs are low or wait until you have an order that gets you free shipping!

what I simply do not understand, is HOW DOES THIS EFFECT AMERICA?!?! I don't want to get into politcs, war, socialology, I simply want to state one fact: The largest % of Gas we obtain is from CANADA, then MEXICO, THEN Saudia Arabia, then Venezuala. In fact Libya is NO where on the list. So if someone could explain to me how problems in the Middle East (specifically Libya this time) effect oil prices in Canada.

I miss my truck too.....

I miss my truck too.....

Edit for those who don't believe me.: http://www.energyrefuge.com/archives/where_oil_comes_from.htm

Don't know about trusting the site's other info but I know list is sound. (first site I found off google)

Good info. We just get fleeced when it comes to gas prices. Plain and simple.

Haha! Good post, Hanks. It all comes back to golf in the end.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Libya is low on the list in terms of oil production/export compared to other countries however their oil is some of the 'cleanest' in the world and does not take as much refinement to create gas or other petro products. Some countries crave this oil because of the lower refinery costs associted with it so if Libya raises prices, the rest of OPEC will copy cat the move because the can and then you'll see higher prices across the board. Which in turn wil raise the prices of other consumer goods because how do goods get shipped to their final destinations? trucks, etc. and they use a ton of gas.

Moral of this lesson?? Buy your golf clubs now while shipping costs are low or wait until you have an order that gets you free shipping!

I thought you were going to say that everyone should start investing in hybrids and stuff... nice boomerang to golf buddy.

Another thing that this raises is electrical since for the most of us it's parallel to rising petrol prices. I hope it's a cooler than normal summer.

I'm getting my motorcycle permit, for fear of gas prices this summer.

Maybe its just perception but I always see people driving those Toyota Prius cars and they just look so smug. And now Ive seriously considered getting one a couple different times so I can give less of my money to the oil companies. Green OEM!

Maybe its just perception but I always see people driving those Toyota Prius cars and they just look so smug. And now Ive seriously considered getting one a couple different times so I can give less of my money to the oil companies. Green OEM!

I felt the same way until my girlfriend got one and spends $10 a week on gas..........

I felt the same way until my girlfriend got one and spends $10 a week on gas..........

See thats what I keep hearing along with "Best car Ive ever owned", "Buy it and you'll see" wonder how many clubs it can hold? lol

See thats what I keep hearing along with "Best car Ive ever owned", "Buy it and you'll see" wonder how many clubs it can hold? lol

Thats the other thing - not that its huge - but it is bigger than it looks and it's a definitely comfortable size- you can fit one (staff) bag in the trunk without putting the seat down. Maybe two if you get creative. I wouldn't take it on a long golf weekend with 4 dudes though...

I know it doesn't matter to the Car owner., but PLEASE PLEASE take a look at what it takes to make a Prius. The battery's in Prius are one of the worst things that effect the enviroment. Nickel from Canada ( I hear the process is horrendous), THen shipped to China to be refined, then shipped to Japan. I've heard that if you consider manufacturing enviromentel impact, then the Prius is far worse for the enviroment than a V8 SUV.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Prius

Once again this is the first site I foudn off google. I've got much more reliable websites bookmarked at work, and on home PC, but I"m downstairs on my laptop WAITING FOR FREAKING GOLF TO START.

I know it doesn't matter to the Car owner., but PLEASE PLEASE take a look at what it takes to make a Prius. The battery's in Prius are one of the worst things that effect the enviroment. Nickel from Canada ( I hear the process is horrendous), THen shipped to China to be refined, then shipped to Japan. I've heard that if you consider manufacturing enviromentel impact, then the Prius is far worse for the enviroment than a V8 SUV.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Prius

Once again this is the first site I foudn off google. I've got much more reliable websites bookmarked at work, and on home PC, but I"m downstairs on my laptop WAITING FOR FREAKING GOLF TO START.

I have to disagree since no matter what the process is to make the battery, it is a one- time fixed expense or pollutant versus thousands of fill ups at the local pump. You'd have to manufacture billions of batterys to offset....

I have to disagree since no matter what the process is to make the battery, it is a one- time fixed expense or pollutant versus thousands of fill ups at the local pump. You'd have to manufacture billions of batterys to offset....

those batteries are going to go back into the ground someday.

Edit: I will say this, I didn't intend to write that PRius are one of the worst things for the Environment. IN the grand scale of things, they ARE WAY DOWN ON the list, I understand that. I just meant its far worse than people think and its right up there with standard gas cars.

Edit: I will say this, I didn't intend to write that PRius are one of the worst things for the Environment. IN the grand scale of things, they ARE WAY DOWN ON the list, I understand that. I just meant its far worse than people think and its right up there with standard gas cars.

I have to agree with Snap hook here, if you go to the mines in Canada where they get the Nickel from it looks like a waste land, you cannot believe the environmental impact that it has done to that area of Canada. The best solution for cars is actually a Canadian company based out of Vancouver called ballard fuel cells. You fill your car up with Hydrogen, the most redialy availiable element on earth, it combineds with oxygen in the fuel cells releasing energy and the exhaust is WATER. There are many buses and cars driving around vancouver and vicotoria as we speak with these fuel cells and it is a proven technology.

I have to agree with Snap hook here, if you go to the mines in Canada where they get the Nickel from it looks like a waste land, you cannot believe the environmental impact that it has done to that area of Canada. The best solution for cars is actually a Canadian company based out of Vancouver called ballard fuel cells. You fill your car up with Hydrogen, the most redialy availiable element on earth, it combineds with oxygen in the fuel cells releasing energy and the exhaust is WATER. There are many buses and cars driving around vancouver and vicotoria as we speak with these fuel cells and it is a proven technology.

"Big oil" will never let such a product reach the masses!!

With the jump in barrel prices we might not have a choice soon. Pump price jumped .10 here last night

"Big oil" will never let such a product reach the masses!!

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Good point- I read the article you posted and I'm sure there is other evidence as I have heard this argument before - I just couldn't wrap my head around the premise as it was written (not by you but the article) - It would be like saying the process of making an atomic bomb is more damaging to the environment than the damage the final product inflicts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back