3W or Strong 3W ?

Pirate95

Let it snow......
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.6
I'm looking to get more distance out of a 3W. I noticed that at 13* some companies( TM, Callaway) list them as strong 3W but the new Cleveland UL 3W is just a 13* 3W stating lower trajectory over the 15*. Are these the same 13* 3 woods with different names or is a strong 3W a club for lower handicap players as a Golfsmith guy told me?

I'm looking to get more distance out of a 3W. I noticed that at 13* some companies( TM, Callaway) list them as strong 3W but the new Cleveland UL 3W is just a 13* 3W stating lower trajectory over the 15*. Are these the same 13* 3 woods with different names or is a strong 3W a club for lower handicap players as a Golfsmith guy told me?

Strong 3W is just another name for lower lofted 3Ws. I'd only equate that to lower handicaps as in general, lower handicaps have better clubhead speed and make better contact allowing them to get a 13* elevated easier than a higher handicap player thus taking advantage of the lower loft. But again, that is a broad generalization and does not always apply. If you can, hit both versions on a monitor. You'll know very quickly which one optimizes your distance.

I think OEM Kevin is rocking the Cleveland 13* 3W and has had good success with it for not being a lower handicapper

I think OEM Kevin is rocking the Cleveland 13* 3W and has had good success with it for not being a lower handicapper

Good point Hanks... OEM is a high ball hitter naturally so the 13* suits him well.

My 13 degree 3 wood is labeled a 3+ by Tour Edge Exotics. I use it to get more distance. I dont find it any tougher to hit than a 15 degree. My next 2 clubs are hybrids at 17 and 22 so it fills the gap perfectly for me. Hope this helps.

I play a 13* Adams 3W and it gets up there and lands softly no problem.

Good point Hanks... OEM is a high ball hitter naturally so the 13* suits him well.

I'm a high ball hitter myself so the 13* should bode well for me.

I play a strong. I like the lower ball flight

Strong 3W is just another name for lower lofted 3Ws. I'd only equate that to lower handicaps as in general, lower handicaps have better clubhead speed and make better contact allowing them to get a 13* elevated easier than a higher handicap player thus taking advantage of the lower loft. But again, that is a broad generalization and does not always apply. If you can, hit both versions on a monitor. You'll know very quickly which one optimizes your distance.

+2. I use to carry a strong 4 wood which was the same loft as the 3 wood version but with a slightly shorter shaft. Many OEM's, like say Callaway tend to now have the stronger lofts in their tour lines and have dropped selling just a strong version of a regular wood.

Strong 3 too.
Just bought this NIckent 4dx hybrd 14* used that's starting to work out pretty well too. I can work it a little better off the tee. It might replace my strong 3w

Back