SAY NO TO THE BOW(tie)!!!! Get a regular tie and go loose on the knot. Pinstripes are fine but stay with as much black as possible.

Take your date or another female down and let them pick out the duds. You'll be miles ahead in the end. When it comes to women sometimes the path of least resistance is the best.

If you're going to wear it more than once, (prom a year from now too?) consider buying one. Another option would be to buy a high quality suit and flare it up to make it look more like a tux. Not many people will notice and you'll have a well fitted suit ready for job interviews once you need it.

This is what it is all about!
AustinDumbJC.jpg

My wedding party is threatening to do this on me. It's a good thing I have say in the matter.

How important is a vest? I haven't really looked at anything yet, but am unsure if I want to go vest route or not. I'm thinking just tie and jacket.....

My wedding party is threatening to do this on me. It's a good thing I have say in the matter.

How important is a vest? I haven't really looked at anything yet, but am unsure if I want to go vest route or not. I'm thinking just tie and jacket.....

The 3-piece is more classic and old school. It also does add another element of class and flair. If you get hot and take your jacket off, you still have a vest on which looks good, whereas if you just have a jacket, you only have your shirt.
The vest can also help hide sweat marks if you're one to perspire.

Vest is personal preference of course. I think they look nice with a matching tie. I'll try n ind a few pics when I get home

Tapping and talking since 2010.

Above all ....buy a tux, don't rent. For the cost of the rental you can own one and tuxes are classic and timeless. It'll never go out of style, a worthy investment.

Above all ....buy a tux, don't rent. For the cost of the rental you can own one and tuxes are classic and timeless. It'll never go out of style, a worthy investment.

A serious question: how often would you really wear a tux?
Other than grad, and getting married, I can't really think of a time where tuxes are necessary [unless you live on the upper east side!]
You can dress a suit up, or down depending on how you want to look, or if the occasion calls for it.

I'm getting married in April. We went with a black tux with a light pinstripe, a colored vest & matching tie. It all looks very sharp together. Vest & tie combo is the way to go IMO. I've never been much for bowties and I hate the cumberbund look.

Like others have said, the most important thing with a tux is the fitting.

You must either be looking at some real expsive rentals or some real cheap tux's

some events I go to for charity, etc are black tie only. Rather rent a tux mult. times I figured I'd just buy one and if I only wore it once a year it saves me that rental fee again.
Other than grad, and getting married, I can't really think of a time where tuxes are necessary [unless you live on the upper east side!]
You can dress a suit up, or down depending on how you want to look, or if the occasion calls for it.

it's more about not having to pay a rental fee each time I wear one. buy it upfront and it eliminates the constant rental cost. basic business sense.
You must either be looking at some real expsive rentals or some real cheap tux's

some events I go to for charity, etc are black tie only. Rather rent a tux mult. times I figured I'd just buy one and if I only wore it once a year it saves me that rental fee again.

Would a suit not work in these situations? Just dress it up with a pocket square and a very crisp white shirt and complimenting tie?
You also have to remember that Aggro is only just graduating highschool. I was in his position a few years ago, and decided that buying a suit then would benefit me for job interviews, weddings, funerals, formal parties, conferences, and the like. All of which have come true - I haven't yet needed a tux.

I agree with RF, although I do see what Hanks is saying. My friend bought a tux for his wedding and he wears it occasionally to other weddings and such, but it looks out of place. That being said, I know why he did it. I bought a new suit about a year and half ago for a wedding and it cost about $400 if I remember correctly. It's a nice suit. I can rent a tux for $150 max (or so the Moores website says). Renting should always be cheaper IMO. Otherwise, what's the point?

probably. everyone has their own likes and preferences
Would a suit not work in these situations? Just dress it up with a pocket square and a very crisp white shirt and complimenting tie?
You also have to remember that Aggro is only just graduating highschool. I was in his position a few years ago, and decided that buying a suit then would benefit me for job interviews, weddings, funerals, formal parties, conferences, and the like. All of which have come true - I haven't yet needed a tux.

I agree with RF, although I do see what Hanks is saying. My friend bought a tux for his wedding and he wears it occasionally to other weddings and such, but it looks out of place. That being said, I know why he did it. I bought a new suit about a year and half ago for a wedding and it cost about $400 if I remember correctly. It's a nice suit. I can rent a tux for $150 max (or so the Moores website says). Renting should always be cheaper IMO. Otherwise, what's the point?

Renting is like financing a car. It seems cheaper, but in the end, if you do it over a prolonged period of time like Hanks says, it works out to be more money. Hanks makes a very good point, and I agree with its logic, but I just don't agree with Aggro needing a tux at this point in time. A suit will do him just fine IMO.

In this case buying would make a lot more sense, but not for someone who does not attend such events.

Renting is like financing a car. It seems cheaper, but in the end, if you do it over a prolonged period of time like Hanks says, it works out to be more money. Hanks makes a very good point, and I agree with its logic, but I just don't agree with Aggro needing a tux at this point in time. A suit will do him just fine IMO.

I agree, I just got a suit for my grad all those years ago, worked just fine. My wedding though, is a different story.

I appreciate the advice. I wont buy- I am only 17- and I dont have to worry about impressing the date- I am going stag.

I have been messing around with a compiler, and I am digging full black with deep red vest. Thoughts?

Keep it simple....

black_tux02.jpg

It only cost all of us about $65(each) to rent and we got to pick whatever we wanted. Cuffs/real nice shoes were more but not much.

I don't think anything looks better than a classic black tux, suspenders and cummerbund. If your neck will handle it ((mine is too short) get the winged collar. Don't skimp on the shoes either; rent the patten leather.

My guess is you might be the only one with the classic look

Aggro, can I ask what you want to be/do in the next few years?
You may only be 17 right now, but buying a suit could turn into an investment.
When I got my suit for my highschool graduation 3 years ago, it wasn't a super expensive one, and nor was it a cheap one. However, I knew what I wanted to do/be and I knew a suit was a necessity to get there. If I were to ammortize my suit's cost over the times that I've worn it, it would probably be about $80/wear, which seems high, but is cheaper than renting one. It also means I have one whenever a situation may come up, and I know it was fit to me, and not some general template used to fit people like me.

Hey guys, little update.

Me and mom sat down and messed around with some different combinations. We agreed on a three button jacket, no stripes, a red vest, and a black shirt. I will be wearing black shoes, don't know on the cufflinks yet. Some of this may change when we go tomorrow afternoon to rent it, but this is the basic template.

I have a question. I like to wear a very deep, spicy scented cologne. Is this taboo with formal wear?

Hey guys, little update.

Me and mom sat down and messed around with some different combinations. We agreed on a three button jacket, no stripes, a red vest, and a black shirt. I will be wearing black shoes, don't know on the cufflinks yet. Some of this may change when we go tomorrow afternoon to rent it, but this is the basic template.

I have a question. I like to wear a very deep, spicy scented cologne. Is this taboo with formal wear?

You can wear cologne with formal wear, just don't wear too much. Little bit of colonge is good, too much is terrible.

Back