The New Tiger Effect

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently Tiger Woods has fallen from grace and in his attempt to get back on track with his game has hired a new coach. A coach that has a stable of two decent PGA Tour players, but I would not call either of them stars.

Yet as soon as he signed up with his new coach, fans and media were quick to proclaim Foley the genius that will take Woods to the next level. Why? What made anybody think that Foley is the answer, when it seems nobody really knows what the question is?

I have a question about the new Tiger Effect, that I would like some help with.

If Tiger Woods hired Joe Smith, Bob Smith, John Smith, etc...would you be saying the same thing, or does the name Sean Foley actually bring in a level of confidence?

I look at this with Foley and we keep hearing things such as "he is learning the swing" and "its just a matter of time before the Foley swing clicks" and so much more. What is it in the Foley swing that makes you believe when it clicks, the dominance returns?

For me nothing, I think that if Tiger decides to use Joe Smith as a coach then he will be the next big coach. I personally like some of the swing thoughts that Foley has when I have seen him interviewed but nothing anything his stable of players has done on tour says that this is a swing that Tiger can dominate with.

I don't believe there is much of anything in the Foley swing to indicate that he will click with it and return to dominance to be completely honest with you. I'm not just a bitter TW fan right now either. I honestly don't know what he needs...

IMHO it wasn't Foley it was TW's going to Foley that made Foley the next big thing.

I don't even know what the "Sean Foley Swing" is. Is it a variation of the stack and tilt?

Kvin

If the confidence is gone all the clicking in the world is not going to do it. Tiger has always had the other guys by the throat, now he seems to have his self by the throat .

• Admin
IMHO it wasn't Foley it was TW's going to Foley that made Foley the next big thing.

I believe that is basically The Tiger Effect.

I don't know the particulars of what Foley teaches in his swing but so far it doesn't seem to be working like all had thought it would. What's the difference between what Foley is teaching and what Hank taught? Is it so drastic that it warranted a coach change or is it more about a difference in coaching philosophy?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I have no idea what the Foley swing is, but I did read somewhere that he is one of the few swing coaches who don't coddle their players. Many of the coaches (so I've read) realize that these guys are effectively their bosses and sometimes treat them as such, with deference. He on the other hand, supposedly has no problem telling it like it is. I guess some of them appreciate that honesty.

How long was it from the last Tiger swing change till he won ?
This one will take time too i believe , but who knows if he will have the same dominance .

I believe JB you are spot on, and it is the Tiger effect. I think this is a lost year for Tiger already...

I believe that is basically The Tiger Effect.
Yes, there is a Tiger Effect. The only exception would be if TW went back to Butch Harmon.

As to the Foley swing it's been quite a while now, and I believe TW should have seen more positive results then he has.

pancake waitresses and secrets.

honestly, Foley is the next big thing ONLY because of Tiger.

but Tiger's lack of success doesn't make Foley a failure.

Otherwise known as the ILLUSION of power...

If the confidence is gone all the clicking in the world is not going to do it. Tiger has always had the other guys by the throat, now he seems to have his self by the throat .

Well said Ole Gray. My thoughts exactly.

I agree this year is probably going to be a wash for him as well. Not sure why after so many wins a swing change was necessary now. I thought he had a great swing already. Sure, he was bit erractic off the tee but his wa a great scrambler. Phil Mickelson said some thing a few weeks back that really hit home...he said, "I am 40 years old and my swing is my swing at this point in my life". I understand wanting to get better but I personally doubt I would be making such a significant change being so close to Jacks record. I think this may cost him that ultimate goal now.

I agree this year is probably going to be a wash for him as well. Not sure why after so many wins a swing change was necessary now. I thought he had a great swing already. Sure, he was bit erractic off the tee but his wa a great scrambler. Phil Mickelson said some thing a few weeks back that really hit home...he said, "I am 40 years old and my swing is my swing at this point in my life". I understand wanting to get better but I personally doubt I would be making such a significant change being so close to Jacks record. I think this may cost him that ultimate goal now.
This is what I am thinking too. Maybe a swing change is a slight thing to TW but look at Palmers swing. He just dealt with it and "banged it out there 240 however he could". I'm paraphrasing, somewhat incorrectly I'm sure, something I saw him say in an interview last year. I've never heard of a pro go through a change every 8 years and it will be a barrier to be broken for sure. I mean a realization or discovery is one thing but changing the whole machine that has that many wins, why?

I don't think it's TW's swing that is the problem, the problem is between his ears.

I agree, its the Tiger effect. I wish he was still with Butch.......

I also think tiger is using his swing as an excuse for his mental problem right now. He can't rely on that mental toughness that pops said he would never lose, but he has. To me his short game is what needs the work, it always got him out of trouble before......

Recently Tiger Woods has fallen from grace and in his attempt to get back on track with his game has hired a new coach. A coach that has a stable of two decent PGA Tour players, but I would not call either of them stars.

Yet as soon as he signed up with his new coach, fans and media were quick to proclaim Foley the genius that will take Woods to the next level. Why? What made anybody think that Foley is the answer, when it seems nobody really knows what the question is?

I have a question about the new Tiger Effect, that I would like some help with.

If Tiger Woods hired Joe Smith, Bob Smith, John Smith, etc...would you be saying the same thing, or does the name Sean Foley actually bring in a level of confidence?

I look at this with Foley and we keep hearing things such as "he is learning the swing" and "its just a matter of time before the Foley swing clicks" and so much more. What is it in the Foley swing that makes you believe when it clicks, the dominance returns?

Well I guess some people just trust TW knows the game like few men ever will. So if he is willing to give a guys ideas room in his bag there must be something there. I'm skeptical because what if there is a glitch that keeps poppin up at the worst time. Stack and tilt comes to mind here. We heard a lot 5 years ago about it but now it's like the mullet of the golf swing. Whoever TW uses will automatically become a star justifiably or not. How many bottles of blue gatorade did u see these guys drinking out there? Not water or original gatorade, blue gatorade. Foley brings me zero confidence but TW still does as far as the golf swing goes.

As far as the coach goes...it's the Tiger effect. As far as Tiger's game is concerned it's a combination of a lack of confidence and the field catching up to where Tiger was, without Tiger improving at all!!!

Nothing. He should have stayed with hank. I dont think hank wanted all the baggage. I met hank haney at wing foot. What a gentleman and a class act.

I don't think it's TW's swing that is the problem, the problem is between his ears.

Exactly DawgDaddy! - Until T-dub gets his head on straight, all the Sean Foley's on the planet won't help. I suggest he goes to Bob Rotella, instead.

How do we know he does not have his head on straight? Let me see if I understand.

Years ago with his dad he had his head on straight (I believe we all agree).
During his marriage he did or didnt have his head on straight?
During his umpteen affairs he did or didnt have his head on straight?
When he got caught in the lies he did or didnt have his head on straight?
Now that we are 18 months since the last win he does not have his head on straight?

Im really confused with when he did or didnt? I dont buy any of it. The guy cant putt worth a lick. That is why he is losing and sometimes its not a mental thing but a stroke thing.

Back