I Felt the Lag Today for the First Time

I can't speak to 'feeling' lag yet. I know for sure that when I really try to go after it all kinds of bad things happen. My posture breaks down horribly, to the point I can feel myself bending forward. When I just let the swing happen, it's always much better. I'm hoping to pick up a tour striker this year to work on better lag and consequently ball striking.

I can't speak to 'feeling' lag yet. I know for sure that when I really try to go after it all kinds of bad things happen. My posture breaks down horribly, to the point I can feel myself bending forward. When I just let the swing happen, it's always much better. I'm hoping to pick up a tour striker this year to work on better lag and consequently ball striking.
I think you'll know it when it happens Matt. At least I did. I tried the Tour Striker yesterday on the range and was hitting it high so I know I was releasing properly.

Finally had a chance to revisit this thread - a lot of good comments, especially on page 2. Like I said on page 1, I feel like I stumbled upon this by accident, so it helps to read this thread to bolster my practice days. I did have a second great day at the range last week. (can't remember when / if that's happened before) I hope to continue building on that tomorrow or Wed. with the thought of not taking too long of a backswing. Rained quite a bit this past weekend, so I didn't get to take it to the course, but I should be able to get out this coming weekend, and definitely playing in Palm Springs the first weekend in March. I really hope I can keep cool and bring this newfound technique to the course!

cheers!

I know what you mean. It's when I try to reach for that "extra" that it breaks down.

I have the same problem!

I swear I shortened my backswing(he says as the 5iron scratches his bum on the way by)...

This is exactly what I call my swing fault (too long on the backswing): the ass-scratcher! My jaw dropped when I saw it on video.

At least at not just me then!

I'm really struggling with shortening the backswing. Even when pitching and in the sand. Being a rather slender guy (to put it mildly), I just feel like I cannot generate enough power without it. Of course I know that's wrong but just can't seem to get past it.

Enjoyed re reading this thread. I'm still working on generating more and more lag in my swing. I've pretty much gotten to the point where my backswing is shortened to where it should be. Now I'm continuing to work on getting my hands down in front of my right thigh earler in the swing, which requires patience in the swing so I don't waste all that lag by releasing too early. Its harder than I thought to make this consistent. Years and years of an over the top move with the right shoulder is taking a while to erradicate completely.

One drill I do find useful is taking 1/2 swing punch shots, with exaggerated hand forward position at impact. It grooves that feeling that can be applied to the full swing. I now usually play 20 of these or so before any full swings and it gets me in a good state of mind to swing well.

My instructor has been working with me to get more distance off the tee, since my swing now is at the point where it just needs minor tweakings here and there :clapp:

We've been working on lag as well. I have a really slow swing speed, about 65-70mph, but I get it there :good: We've been working on keeping my back to the target as long as I can while I shift my weight and come down with my swing. Its much easier said than done :D But its definitely a work in progress!!

Seems like we are all working hard! :)

My struggle continues with taking my backswing too far back. Ack!

Tried this with my driver today, at the range. Moved the ball a little forward and focused on not turning too far back. Seemed to work. I was definitely hitting it at least 10yds farther than I usually do. Not sure I "felt the lag" yet, though. I guess if you are not sure, you didn't feel it. :)

Now to see if I can take it to the course.

Thanks for sharing; been struggling in a few areas lately so will give this a go.....can't get any worse!

I had a five minute lesson today on the range (my friend/pro who's 13 year old daughter is a true golfing phenom). He had me shorten my back swing and really accelerate at impact. I'd been taking a long back swing and almost decelerating at impact.

BIG difference. I could feel the lag hold and release without any effort on my part. The ball went higher, farther, and straighter out into the snow covered range. This was with all of my clubs...lob wedge through driver.

When I tried to "help" the swing I released the club early. When I let it happen, without any "interference" on my part, I hit the ball flush. A huge difference.

The difficult part is shortening the back swing. When I do it I am really popping the ball. I could feel the lag/release and the club really zing through the impact area.

Of course I did this with the X-Prototypes. :)

Watch out TPC Boston here comes Sean!

LOL! Very kind of you Golferbet...but not until I shorten my backswing with consistency. :)

Seems like we are all working hard! :)

My struggle continues with taking my backswing too far back. Ack!

Yeah, I hear ya - after all the talk about keeping the backswing in check so I can continue feeling the lag, that ended up being the only thing I didn't do. It was not the solid range day, like the two I had last week. I had shanks, tops, you name it. Once those bad shots happened, then I let my frustrations get the best of me. It wasn't all bad though, I hit the driver well, and got more familiar with my new 3-wood. I was able to settle down a bit, and I finished with 3 or 4 6-iron shots where I felt the solid contact again. The quest continues!

Yeah, I hear ya - after all the talk about keeping the backswing in check so I can continue feeling the lag, that ended up being the only thing I didn't do. It was not the solid range day, like the two I had last week. I had shanks, tops, you name it. Once those bad shots happened, then I let my frustrations get the best of me. It wasn't all bad though, I hit the driver well, and got more familiar with my new 3-wood. I was able to settle down a bit, and I finished with 3 or 4 6-iron shots where I felt the solid contact again. The quest continues!

I realized I was taking a huge backswing and it was contributing to my over-the-top. I'm hoping I feel the lag soon, and good luck with the am tour, you have to be super excited.

Tap before talk.

I realized I was taking a huge backswing and it was contributing to my over-the-top. I'm hoping I feel the lag soon, and good luck with the am tour, you have to be super excited.

Tap before talk.
One would think it would be easy to shorten a backswing, eh? I wish. :)

I am excited about the AmTour, especially with the winter we've been having. It'll be nice to see the ground again and play some golf...especially on such nice golf courses!

Preface: Sean - I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. If you do mind, say the word, no problemo.

I squeezed in a bucket after work yesterday, in hopes of improving on the step backward early in the week. I talked with the guy who sits next to me at work and realized that keeping my arms (and specifically the left arm) straight forces you to not overdo the backswing. Basically, the flexibility of your body determines how far back you can swing while staying in good form. So, I focused on straight arms and limiting my backswing, and boom! I was getting that solid, consistent contact and the nice, piercing trajectory that looks so good. I wasn't quite feeling lag, but I was mostly focusing on just making solid contact. It looks like tomorrow will actually be sunny, so I'm hoping to bring this work to the course.

Cheers

If you're having a bad ball striking day... Chip, Chip, Pitch ... I've done a lot of product demos and encounter plenty of people that would rather hit an entire range bucket poorly, instead of chipping 10 balls down range and hitting shorter shots with solid ball striking.

Sometimes, it's a matter of practice for people.. Would they be happier nailing one driver 280 yards down the pike... or dropping 12 wedge shots within 5 feet of the 100 yard target... Short swing to big swing and high loft to low loft seems to work everytime.

Just $.02

Back