Cutting down driver shaft

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
Not sure if this was a previous topic or not.....

I'm in the market for a new driver shaft. Currently have an Aldila NVS 65-R and I was thinking of upgrading to the Aldila NVS 75-S for stiffness and extra weight. My current shaft length is 45" and I have all sorts of problems controlling my swing off the tee. It always wants to fade hard to the right no matter how I swing. Would it be beneficial to have the new shaft be cut down to 44" without sacrificing too much distance?

PS. That's the reason for the 75g shaft, compensation for lost length.

When I replaced the stock shaft in my driver with a UST Proforce V2 and went from 45 1/2" to 44", my accuracy increased dramatically. I didn't notice any distance loss either. Stock shaft was 50g - the V2 is 67g. I think it's a good move.

I feel an FLTC merge coming on soon. Ive found cutting down the diver shaft really helps with control and quite like it, assuming you get the swing weight how you want it.

Moved this over to fitting/building section.

Do you have an opportunity to get fit for a driver shaft?

I have not had an opportunity to get fitted, but when I choke down on the club a bit, it really seems to help my accuracy.

I'm 6'1 & play with a 44.25 inch Diamana Blue Board. whenever I've tried 45+ it just doesn't feel as comfortable and my ball striking is inconsistent. You may get an extra couple of yards with a longer shaft, but from my perspective, I'd rather hit it the same distance (be it 230 or 300) every time, than have a 20+ yard differential between drives from hole to hole due to inconsistent striking. Good luck!

When I had my Avicore shaft installed I asked the guy to cut it down an inch but he advised against it. I also usually choke down on the grip about an inch just because I seem to hit it a lot straighter and sometimes even longer due to more solid/square contact. Looking back, I am probably better off with the longer shaft because mentally I think to swing slower/smoother when I am choking down on the club (where as I usually swing out of my shoes when my hands are at the end of the grip).

Cutting down a shaft can affect the swing weight (possibly why some would be against it), if you go for a heavier shaft it may help offset the SW change. A competent club builder should be able to have you at the length you want and the SW that works for you.

I've cut down every driver I've owned for the past few years to be at 44.25 inches. SW may change a little but it was never enough to bother me. Don't be afraid to experiment. Anything done can be un-done.

Back