On the Tee Box....where do you set up and why

Johnboy12.5

Reaction score
Handicap
Ghin 9.1
Title says it all!

Same side of the box as the trouble...

Depends on a couple things but usually its if Im fighting the urge to be a hooker. If Im hookin then Im towards the left side so I have more fairway to work with.

As a lefty who plays a fade, and whos miss is a push left I line up to the right side of the fairway, I never miss right so I a hit it straight I will be down the right side of the fairway, fade or push and I'm just fine.

Depends on whether my ball is fading or drawing, it's up to the swing.

Between and just a little behind the two markers. Right side cause I'm a slicer.

Completely depends on the layout of the hole.

+2. Each hole for me is different. A lot has to factor in.

Depends on the hole and how the swing is at the time

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

+1 Here in Washington I play some tough courses that have tons of trees and bend alot. So it always depends on which way the hole go's.

You pick your driving angle based on the layout of the hole and how the shot will be shaped.

Kevin

I understand that, but how is that different than setting up on the same side as trouble?

I understand that, but how is that different than setting up on the same side as trouble?

I'm a lefty. Say I'm playing a dogleg left with a pond on the right where the hole turns left. I most likely would tee the ball up on the left side of the tee box, aim toward or along that pond, and fade it into the corner. if I tee it up on the same side as the pond/trouble and hit a cut it may end up off the hole to the right. Sometimes you can take trouble out of a hole by aiming at it, or at least in the general direction, and trust the shape of the shot and the hole.

Kevin

I'm a lefty. Say I'm playing a dogleg left with a pond on the right where the hole turns left. I most likely would tee the ball up on the left side of the tee box, aim toward or along that pond, and fade it into the corner. if I tee it up on the same side as the pond/trouble and hit a cut it may end up off the hole to the right. Sometimes you can take trouble out of a hole by aiming at it, or at least in the general direction, and trust the shape of the shot and the hole.

Kevin

I see what you're saying, I see the dogleg as trouble as well, in that case you're right I would choose the lesser of two evils. Most holes I play the inside of the dog leg is usually where the trouble lies.

Completely depends on the layout of the hole.
I agree and would add it also depends on where on the tee box gives me the best chance to hit the shot to succeed on that particular hole.

Usually right side and aim a little left to minimize my slice.

Well I'll chime in to. For me it depends on the club of choice as much as the lay out of the hole. My driver shot shape is a fade so I'm usually on the right side of the tee box. Par three's I tend to set up on the side that leaves the best angle to the pin. Woods & hybrids from the tee box depends on the shape of the hole.

It depends on the layout of the hole, the location of any trouble, the wind, the swing tendancy for the day, etc...

Evaluate the hole based on the shape of the hole and where I want the ball to finish.

Check the slope of the fairway to take advantage of the slope or to keep the slope from taking the ball into trouble.

Evaluate the tee itself; it may not be level and, sometimes, I have used the slope of the tee to help me shape my shot.

Decide what shape shot I am going to play.

All these factors go into the equation.

I tee it up on the side of the box that allows me to work the ball back to the middle of the fairway. If I want to hit the draw, I tee it up on the left and pick a target on the right side of the fairway and draw it back to the middle. That way the dreaded straight ball is still in the fairway or first cut at worse. I just about always work the ball away from trouble in my landing area, and in instances where there is trouble on both sides (ie - water left, OB right) - I play towards the lesser of two evils (ie - a ball in the hazard is drop versus having to re-tee an OB drive).

I usually just try to find the most level spot.

I'm surprised you're the first person to say that- that's what makes the most sense to me, especially since I usually play cheaper courses which sometimes aren't in the best shape.

Wherever someone hasn't transplanted a nice bit of sod.

Course dependent...If I am at my local course, I pick the side that gives me the flattest stance. I am willing to bet that Cameron Hills has the worst tee boxes on the planet. Half of the time they put the tees around a damn sprinkler head. The grounds crew may be doing it to mess with the members. If I am playing any other course I set up to how the swing is working that particular day. If I am pushing, I set up left and If I am pulling...right. Hole layout plays a big part as well If I am not teeing off with a driver.

Back