Putter Shafts Do Make a Difference

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I recently purchased a UST Mamiya Frequency Filtered putter shaft for my Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2. I wasn't sure what if any difference a putter shaft would make but for $28 I though I'd give it a try. Originally they cost around $100.

I was surprised at how much better the ball feels coming off the putter. It's not as clickie, feels smoother, and more solid. Very balanced too.

In any case it was $28 well spent. :)

Sweet. I would imagine that that specific shaft would help reduce vibration on mis hits. Maybe reduce swing weight.

Yes, shafts can make a whole difference for one.I myself prefer stepped putter shafts then stepless. For me the stepped putter shafts give me the feel I want from my putter.

Yes, shafts can make a whole difference for one.I myself prefer stepped putter shafts then stepless. For me the stepped putter shafts give me the feel I want from my putter.

I think it was Jman who got a putter with a special fiber shaft of some kind. Hope he jumps in, he really liked the feel I think.

Yes, it does reduce vibration as well...thanks for mentioning that BG, I forgot.

Same here. I've used stepped shafts for so long, I doubt I'll ever change.

Have never really thought a lot about putter shafts. Looks like I may need to do some investigating. We spend so much time/$$ with shafts for irons and woods, I guess putter shafts are often over looked. Interesting topic.
I'm happy I did the experiment. I was surprised at the results.

Interesting. I've been wanting to do the same thing with my putter. Might have to give this a go!!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
For $28 I thought, "What the heck?"

Something else to consider.....maybe?!

The shaft definitely can make a difference. i wouldn't say it makes AS big a difference as different shafts in your irons or woods though. i put the same shaft you did in an Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 and i kinda like it so far. i have the same shaft in a Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport as well and i like the shaft much better in that putter for some reason. The tinkering you can do with golf equipment is endless nowadays.lol

The shaft definitely can make a difference. i wouldn't say it makes AS big a difference as different shafts in your irons or woods though. i put the same shaft you did in an Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9 and i kinda like it so far. i have the same shaft in a Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport as well and i like the shaft much better in that putter for some reason. The tinkering you can do with golf equipment is endless nowadays.lol
You're the only other person I know who's tried this shaft. I like the feel of the ball coming off the face much better.

I've seriously been giving these shafts consideration. I've been tinkering with my seemore FGP and my next thing to do was switch shafts. I think you guys made up my mind

I've always wanted to give that shaft a try, sounds like you got a great deal on it, any place the rest of us could get in on a deal like that?

I think it was Jman who got a putter with a special fiber shaft of some kind. Hope he jumps in, he really liked the feel I think.

Actually that is my Gene NEAD all copper head MINI with a carbon fiber shaft. The more I putt with it the more amazed I am at the combination of feel and roll off the face. I have to say that the way Gene executes the MINI design in all copper would make it a special putter even with a metal shaft. The carbon fiber shaft seems perfectly mated to that head and is icing on the cake.

The reason I think the putter would perform remarkably with a metal shaft is that the head in all copper is just insanely good. The sweet spot is quite large and the ball rolls true even if you strike it a little off the center line. Not only does the ball roll true, but since the face is very lively, you end up feeling like you can sink putts from anywhere. I believe this lively characteristic off the face results from the fact that there is so much mass right behind the ball. While the putter head is not as wide as more common blade putters from heel to toe it is deeper from front to back. It seems ridiculously easy to get the ball rolling with the right amount of forward or top spin.

I think what likely makes the carbon fiber shaft such a good mate for it is that it tends to absorb just enough of the liveliness of the head. So while the ball rolls true and seems to be rolling right from contact (the ball does not skip) the shaft dampens off what might otherwise be a feel that might be a little crisp for some. This is not to say it would be something that you could not get used to which is why I think it would also be a great putter with a metal shaft. Like I said earlier the carbon fiber shaft is more icing on the cake. That all copper MINI head is the cake.

I also have a NEAD that is in the more standard blade design and while it has the signature Gene NEAD feel, it is clear that the additional mass of the MINI makes for a real difference that is hard not to fall in love with. It would be unfair for me to say that the MINI might be so good as to be universally great as a putter because I am so partial conceptually to the idea of putting more mass behind the ball especially if it is executed properly. I can say that if you are like me and you are partial to that concept, you owe it to yourself to try this putter. Maybe a review by one of the THP putter guys might make sense as that way THPer's could get an additional opinion.

Anyone still using a mamiya putter shaft?

Anyone still using a mamiya putter shaft?

I've still got one in a couple of my customs (Mills/Lajosi). I also plan on putting one into the Odyssey 7CH or Milled 6M when I get one.

I've still got one in a couple of my customs (Mills/Lajosi). I also plan on putting one into the Odyssey 7CH or Milled 6M when I get one.
I'd love to try one in a seemore, but I'd have to have it powder coated.

After my Odyssey Works fitting next week, maybe I'll pick one up for that.

Just ordered one of the UST putter shafts. I think it's headed for my Yes! Ashley. Anything unusual about installing these?

I have this shaft in one of my putters and don't mind it, but don't love it either. What would be really interesting is to put with that shaft in a head side by side in the same putter, but with a standard shaft.

I really like these in non - insert putters as I 'feel' a difference. But not so much in putter heads with inserts.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Those UST shafts are outstanding! I'd love to drop one into one of my putters. The SeeMore DB4x with that shaft would be perfect...hmmmm.

I watched Orange Hog sink putt after putt at the UST event with their demo putter shaft (not sure what head was installed). He commented about maybe the putting green was sloped on both sides to the hole. But then I tried and missed putt after putt! It wasn't the shaft that was my problem though and for $30 I'd say it's worth a try.

The UST Mamiya shaft feels great but ultimately I opted out because I didn't like how it looked. I have trouble looking at stepped shafts in a putter. I can only use the Versa MXM because the shaft is black and smooths out the look.

My club fitter however has the UST shaft in all his putters and his game is no joke.

Back