The New Tiger Effect

The circumstances during last year weren't exactly ideal for giving his swing an overhaul virtually mid-season. I'll cut him slack up until the Ryder Cup. When you make changes it's not really a good idea to play tournaments since you're likely to regress/revert/shatter your confidence.

According to who? We spoke to 2-3 coaches that have said its imperative to put your new swing in tournament play to see where it stacks up when you are competing at the highest level.

I hope he gets it back - very good for the game and viewers, but his game looks terrible. Hits it left and right, in the middle of the water on the par 3, airmailing greens and misses a fairway with a 3 wood in the playoff hole? Poor chipping. He is so close to the ball and his hands so close to his body and he is so mechanical. He should dump Foley asap. What Phil said when referencing his own game - focusing on his scoring clubs and that his swing is what it is at this point in his career is something Tiger should be thinking about. He also needs to play more, hitting balls in this backyard is not getting it done.

According to who? We spoke to 2-3 coaches that have said its imperative to put your new swing in tournament play to see where it stacks up when you are competing at the highest level.

According to me (and by extension my coach). Of course putting it into play is needed, like he did at Chevron when he had had the time to work on it. Putting a half-baked swing into play like he did mid-season is just terrible. The stuff he worked on by himself up until July (or whenever he started seeing Foley regularly) was just that - half-baked. That's not what you want to put into play.

So will Tiger (or any player for that matter) eventually say 'screw it' and go back to their original swing? Or is that more a matter of pride? I guess another way to look at it is how long will the Tiger Effect last?

So will Tiger (or any player for that matter) eventually say 'screw it' and go back to their original swing? Or is that more a matter of pride? I guess another way to look at it is how long will the Tiger Effect last?

From what he's said, he can't go back to his old swing (talking the early 00's now) because he hasn't got the swing speed. I haven't got any numbers to go with that, so I'll just take his word. But of course there's pride involved - you think you're onto something, working your butt off...you don't wanna say "that was a waste, I'm going back to my old swing".

According to me (and by extension my coach). Of course putting it into play is needed, like he did at Chevron when he had had the time to work on it. Putting a half-baked swing into play like he did mid-season is just terrible. The stuff he worked on by himself up until July (or whenever he started seeing Foley regularly) was just that - half-baked. That's not what you want to put into play.

Wait...What? He was working with Foley at Chevron correct....And now he is still working with Foley and had that "offseason" as some call it to continue to hone this! You believe that it is his confidence that is the problem and that is because he tweaked his swing alone without a coach and put that into play?

So you believe that a player at the highest level that decides on a swing change should shut it down while they work on a change?

You believe that it is his confidence that is the problem and that is because he tweaked his swing alone without a coach and put that into play?

So you believe that a player at the highest level that decides on a swing change should shut it down while they work on a change?

1. Not saying it is/it isn't. I'm not inside his head but it's certainly possible that his confidence took a huge bump. The higher you are...

2. Yes, for a period of time, like he did this off-season. It's the perfect way to do it. I didn't say the rewards would come right off the bat, there's no schedule or blueprint for when he'll "get there". I'm not surprised that he's hitting it great on the range but not on the course in tournament play, that's the nature of the process. The results will come in time...or they won't. That's how swing changes work, they're not guaranteeing anything. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he doesn't find, nor will I be if he does find it.

In the end - I'm just saying that I think it's too early to judge and he hasn't been it for that long. It might be a six month period of him getting the technique right, then another six months where it'll all start to come together and then he's "back". I can't recall exactly how long his previous swing changes took (like the one in 1998-ish) but I do remember 1998 being a pretty dry year for him.

How can anybody think they understand what its like to be someone like Tiger Woods going through a swing change. He is the GOAT and has proven he is different than anybody else.

His last swing change he said took two years, yet he was still winning and playing well during that time. He was losing before this swing change. His losing has continued.

How can anybody think they understand what its like to be someone like Tiger Woods going through a swing change. He is the GOAT and has proven he is different than anybody else.

His last swing change he said took two years, yet he was still winning and playing well during that time. He was losing before this swing change. His losing has continued.

Which is why, IMO anyway, like I said in my post. I really am doubting if Tiger is playing golf because he wants to, or because the PGA & his sponsors begged him to because they need him to be playing golf.

How can anybody think they understand what its like to be someone like Tiger Woods going through a swing change.

If you effectively want to end this discussion by indirectly calling me out for speaking my mind, then fine.

If you effectively want to end this discussion by indirectly calling me out for speaking my mind, then fine.

What? So you can disagree with some, but others cannot with you? Very confused. I was to understand that everybody could speak their mind and have a healthy debate. What I said was that NOBODY knows what is in his head.

Things cannot be proven effective unless tested at the highest level.

Things cannot be proven effective unless tested at the highest level.

For how long?

You guys all talk about how long a swing change takes, but what about his chipping stroke or putting stroke is different? b/c honestly, both of those are unproven right now too.

I agree with you TC.

And it's been long enough IMO. He is the GOAT, from my relative short experience with golf and he doesn't need a year or two to win. It's just not working and never will.

For how long?

You guys all talk about how long a swing change takes, but what about his chipping stroke or putting stroke is different? b/c honestly, both of those are unproven right now too.

For how long?

Im just saying that Tiger can't just take time off and practice. He needs to do it on the fly like he always has, he has to prove that in competition that he can trust that swing and that it will hold up. I dont agree with shutting it down, so thats why I said, it cant be proven to be an effective swing unless he tests it week in week out against the highest level of competiton. I think Tiger just needs to play more golf actually, the chips are just mental errors, for every bad chip he has also made good chips, Tiger is not handling the pressure like he usually does, Tiger is HUMAN.

Im just saying that Tiger can't just take time off and practice. He needs to do it on the fly like he always has, he has to prove that in competition that he can trust that swing and that it will hold up. I dont agree with shutting it down, so thats why I said, it cant be proven to be an effective swing unless he tests it week in week out against the highest level of competiton.

I agree 100000%

Im just saying that Tiger can't just take time off and practice. He needs to do it on the fly like he always has, he has to prove that in competition that he can trust that swing and that it will hold up. I dont agree with shutting it down, so thats why I said, it cant be proven to be an effective swing unless he tests it week in week out against the highest level of competiton. I think Tiger just needs to play more golf actually, the chips are just mental errors, for every bad chip he has also made good chips, Tiger is not handling the pressure like he usually does, Tiger is HUMAN.

Yeah, I do agree with you. He does need to play more and he needs to play on other venues. He needs to get out of his comfort level and trust in himself.

Tiger's going to win again and he can be dominant again, but it's only going to happen when he decides to "own" his swing, and his style of play. The only reason he even went through this latest swing change (I will preface this by saying that this is purely my opinion) is b/c he needed something that HE COULD FIX! His personal life was crumbling, as was his image. His swing is the one thing he could fix when everything else couldn't be fixed.

That is a very interesting point, i don't think i've ever thought of that and it makes perfect sense. If i knew how to give rep i would.

I think i hinted at it in my essay of a post on page 2, but I've always had this thought in the back of my mind and it's starting to take a stronger hold; that thought is that tiger is completely lost without his dad.
Tiger's dad was a very dominant personality and driving force in tiger's life in golf and life in general, when tiger lost his dad the train was still rolling along the tracks, but then the wheels started coming off that culminated in a 5 iron through the back windshield of a bmw. How do we think the Tiger scandal would have played out if Tiger's dad had been around for it? I have no idea but it's interesting to ponder.

You often see the children of very of very domineering parents have weaker personalities in that they almost always defer to the parent on almost everything in their life. I get the feeling that when Tiger lost his dad he lost his rudder and now he's in this never ending storm that he hasn't the slightest clue how to get out of.

....might be the reason behind going to Foley. As others have said foley sounds like an infomercial, very sure of himself and it's been said that he has no problem saying things his pupil's don't like. Tiger may have gravitated to Foley's teaching less for the golf and moreso because of the type of personality Foley is the type that Tiger is used to trusting to get him out of tough spots

One thing people may be forgetting is Tiger has said it took two years to master his swing the last time he went through a drastic change. This time his coach, Foley, is a Canadian. Consequently, this swing may well take four years to master due to the climate shortened golf season in Canada.

No one seems to be talking aboot that.

Kevin

I don't think it's TW's swing that is the problem, the problem is between his ears.

+1, I'm not sure Tiger ever had the best swing, he was just always more focused on beating the golf courses while everyone else tried to beat him. The best example was when he went 50/50 on putts of 10 feet or less at Torrey to win. His extreme focus was why he won and that is noticeably absent today. Just my opinion

It doesn't matter who coaches Tiger, unless it's Dave Pelz perhaps - the noticeable decline is in his short game. Tiger has always sprayed it to some degree, but his short game and ability to seemingly never miss under 8 feet or so for entire tournaments (not every tourney, but occasional entire ones) is to me what always separated him from the pack. The $40 Mil Nike gave him when he turned pro freed him to make (or go for) the big shots, but many of the guys out there can hit big shots. The putter was the difference and will have to be again for Tiger to dominate again.

Back