JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was speaking with a club maker today about consumers and amateur golfers and their choosing of wedges. He said he always hears two factors when choosing wedges.

From the golfer:

1. I choose it based on lofts so that I can have full swings and no gaps at the top.

2. I choose based on the soft feel I am looking for, for my touch shots.

His question was this. If #1 is the reason, is feel even really as noticeable? And if it is #2, and it is all about touch shots, is #1 really needed?

Very interesting point of view from someone that has made some incredible wedges over the years. I am sure I am not explaining as well as his questions asked, but they did make sense to me at the time.

What are your thoughts? What makes you choose your wedges?

I have option #3, I go for lofts to fill gaps at 3/4 swings with a wedge, for that I need feel for those shots, and the ones around the green.

it has to do both for me... you are really limiting yourself if you only use it for one and not the other

I originally chose my wedges to fill the gaps but as I progress with lessons and my short game, I have found that I prefer to use my 54* sand wedge for most of my feel shots. I have barely touched my gap and lob wedges in recent months and have considered losing at least one of them for a fairway wood or longer hybrid. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I don't choose wedges based on what I hit with a full swing or a 1/2 swing. I also don't have the luxury of all the degree/bounce options as everyone else. I chose my current wedges b/c they had the DG Spinner shafts in them. I have really fallen for them over the past few months though.

I think this is a really intriguing topic and conversation though. No way I'd ever buy wedges solely based on full shots. I find wedges to be far to versatile for one type of shot. I also don't know if I can honestly say that one wedge is softer than another. Even though I currently own Mizuno's, which seem to create some sort of mystical buttery feel, I can't really tell the difference between them and my old CG14's.

I don't think that the 2 ideas are mutually exclusive. I can more about how wedges perform on shots around the green as compared to full shots, because I have more shots around the green during a round than full shots with wedges. So priority #1 is versatility with wedges around the greens, and not having too harsh of a feel is important. However, you can get a sense of feel on full shots. Once I know what brand of wedge I'm interested in, I can then use the gaps in my bag to select the lofts. I'm playing Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges at 54 and 58 degrees now. I know that they're not the most popular wedge on here, but I really like the versatility of those wedges because I feel like I can play just about any shot around the greens by opening or closing the face on either wedge. They aren't the easiest wedges to hit from the fairway, but they are pretty consistent for me. I also like the slightly bigger head size as compared to my previous wedges (Nike VR forged) which adds confidence on full shots.

• Admin
I don't choose wedges based on what I hit with a full swing or a 1/2 swing. I also don't have the luxury of all the degree/bounce options as everyone else. I chose my current wedges b/c they had the DG Spinner shafts in them. I have really fallen for them over the past few months though.

I think this is a really intriguing topic and conversation though. No way I'd ever buy wedges solely based on full shots. I find wedges to be far to versatile for one type of shot. I also don't know if I can honestly say that one wedge is softer than another. Even though I currently own Mizuno's, which seem to create some sort of mystical buttery feel, I can't really tell the difference between them and my old CG14's.

The entire conversation started because we were discussing how amateurs are carrying 3+ wedges now and he relates that strictly with marketing and how the club companies are putting out so many lofts.

He said it used to be a creative game around the greens, but he thinks that many higher handicapped golfers really struggle for 2 reasons.

1. They have no idea what club to play with and when inside of 50 yards.
2. They do not have any idea how to play different shots other than a normal shot.

He thinks taking away all wedges higher than 50* for a couple of rounds would be great for creativity and touch.

Interesting conversation to say the least.

The entire conversation started because we were discussing how amateurs are carrying 3+ wedges now and he relates that strictly with marketing and how the club companies are putting out so many lofts.

He said it used to be a creative game around the greens, but he thinks that many higher handicapped golfers really struggle for 2 reasons.

2. They do not have any idea how to play different shots other than a normal shot.

He thinks taking away all wedges higher than 50* for a couple of rounds would be great for creativity and touch.

I think that's awesome. I mostly use my 50* gap wedge for most of my green side shots and from 100 yards and in. I don't know why, I'm just better with it.

I look at both when I am shopping for new wedges. I use my PW and my 56* alot.

So why would one wedge help out an higher handicap player if they have no idea how to play a consistent shot, let alond attempt to manipulate different trajectories, spins etc?

As TC said above, as a lefty I don't get all the options others get, but what I'm looking for in a wedge is versatility around the greens and for bunker play. I use my 60* wedge only for pitching and chipping inside 60 yards and it is the only club in my bag I use for those shots, I never hit a full 60* wedge. My SW I am looking for 100 yard carry, and the right bounce for bunker play.

So why would one wedge help out an higher handicap player if they have no idea how to play a consistent shot, let alond attempt to manipulate different trajectories, spins etc?

Because it teaches one and forces one to play other shots. To use the touch that is killing them by having different clubs.

It appears that many issues arise with golfers of all skill levels (but mostly higher indexed players) when using higher lofts and not taking full swings. Deceleration is a huge factor, as is many other issues.

I choose my wedges based on the versatility of the three. Inside of a 115 yards I've got lots of options!!!

Because it teaches one and forces one to play other shots. To use the touch that is killing them by having different clubs.

It appears that many issues arise with golfers of all skill levels (but mostly higher indexed players) when using higher lofts and not taking full swings. Deceleration is a huge factor, as is many other issues.

Exactly. Deceleration is the problem. I had 52, 56, 60 when I started and the 56 and 60 were useless then. My buddy, who is PGA pro, had me get rid of them and gave me a 56 Reg588 Cleveland. He told me to carry for it a year and learn how to create and truly feel/visualize your shots. It worked wonders. I just last month went back to 52, 56, 60 and my short game is very good (I feel it is at least haha).

I see what your saying, but a higher indexed player struggles to make consistent contact on chips (thin, fat) but now to ask them to take some distance off, add distance, play hit high to avoid a bunker, keep it low so you can control roll on the green, I think it complicates things for higher handicaps.

Ask a higher handicap to bring the club 1/2 way back and swing hard from there makes more sense to me rather than say pick a spot and try to land it there and hope you made good contact so it reacts the way you expect it to?

Exactly. Deceleration is the problem.

I agree... but how can taking one club and creating multiple variations of it to reach the required distance.

Example

100 yards (full 52)
75 ( 3/4)
50 (1/2)

or

100 (full 52)
75( full 56)
50(full 60)

No need to worry about decelerating...

My favorite club is my 60º wedge. I hit all kinds of shots around the green with it (mostly within 30 yard range): heavy rough, tight lies, bunkers, flop shots, etc. I practice 50 to 80 yard shots with my 45/50/55/60 degree wedges. It depends on the shot, the lie, the trajectory I want and other factors. I practice with my wedges A LOT, and I like the flexibility having multiple wedges gives me.

I agree... but how can taking one club and creating multiple variations of it to reach the required distance.

Example

100 yards (full 52)
75 ( 3/4)
50 (1/2)

or

100 (full 52)
75( full 56)
50(full 60)

No need to worry about decelerating...

There are other ways to control distance besides the backswing. It helps teach choking down to take distance off, opening the face to take distance off, moving the ball position around, etc.. Your wedges are needed for a lot more than full shots.

I see what your saying, but a higher indexed player struggles to make consistent contact on chips (thin, fat) but now to ask them to take some distance off, add distance, play hit high to avoid a bunker, keep it low so you can control roll on the green, I think it complicates things for higher handicaps.

Ask a higher handicap to bring the club 1/2 way back and swing hard from there makes more sense to me rather than say pick a spot and try to land it there and hope you made good contact so it reacts the way you expect it to?

I think you are missing the point of what he is trying to say. He is saying that golfers are using the extra wedges as a crutch because they never learn to do things another way. By taking that crutch away from them, they MUST learn and become far better around the greens because of it.

We are talking about INSIDE of 50 yards in this case, not full wedge swings in many of these instances.

There are other ways to control distance besides the backswing. It helps teach choking down to take distance off, opening the face to take distance off, moving the ball position around, etc.. Your wedges are needed for a lot more than full shots.

You are speaking EXACTLY what he was talking about today.

I pick the lofts not so much to fill gaps, but to hit certain shots. I can take a 48* in pretty darn low so that's why I carry that. Distance wise it's pretty interchangeable with the 52* that I take in higher as I never really take a full swing at the 48*, but hit a PW for that. I hit the 48* more at my last club and could probably get away with dropping it for where I play now, but there's a shot or two I hit with it, and it doesn't deprive me of another club I think I need so it stays. I chip with both the 48* and the 52* depending on the lie or rollout. I like a 58* because I can hit lob/flop shots with it, and because I like a sand wedge with low bounce and the bounce on it is 8*. It does double duty. I could flop a 56*, but in lefty most come with more bounce than I want, 12-14*, or need at my club. Hell, I can flop my 52* if I have to, but I don't like that loft out of the sand.

Actually when I think of it, bounce may have more influence on my choices than loft, as how far they go isn't generally my focus with specialty wedges. I also like the looks of the Titleist wedges which is hugely important. Cleveland wedges appeal to my eye, too, but I have bounce issues with them.

What a mess this post was. Does it even make sense?

Kevin

I don't think JB and I are saying we're against carrying multiple wedges once you learn how to hit all sorts of shots. We are saying it's much easier to learn all the intricacies of the short game by starting with one wedge. At least that's how I've interpreted it.

I think you are missing the point of what he is trying to say. He is saying that golfers are using the extra wedges as a crutch because they never learn to do things another way. By taking that crutch away from them, they MUST learn and become far better around the greens because of it.

We are talking about INSIDE of 50 yards in this case, not full wedge swings in many of these instances.

Do you think this is more important for a high indexed player or a mid to lower handicap player ? I do think to be a really good short game player you need to know how to play a variety of short game shots, but for high handicaps would it be more important to focus on a single consistent shot or trying to attempt different shot and manipulate an inconsistent swing?

I don't think JB and I are saying we're against carrying multiple wedges once you learn how to hit all sorts of shots. We are saying it's much easier to learn all the intricacies of the short game by starting with one wedge. At least that's how I've interpreted it.

That is exactly what i have been saying and what the club maker was as well. That amateurs are quick to grab the wedges in a bunch and do so based on the reasons listed in the OP many times.

Back