GolfTEC swing evaluation

Jeanthemachine

Earl of Limerick
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.7
In another thread I mentioned, about a week ago, that I had a ""Groupon" for a swing evaluation at GolfTEC in Tampa. Well, today I took advantage of the offer and all I can say is ""O_M_G"

Absolutely the best day of golf since my last hole in one.

I have been playing for (ahem) several years and have had some success at the recreational level. My GHIN has been as low as 4.2 and I have broken par on several occasions. This is just to let you know my starting point.

Lately I have been losing distance on all shots and have been blaming it on age and inflexibility. Having the "Groupon" encouraged me to go on a fact-finding mission that I expected to result in a "your old...get over it" diagnosis.

Not so.

After an intro to the process and the equipment, which was enjoyable to me on its own, and a few warm up swings with real balls and my own club, I was hooked up to the equipment and asked to hit a few balls, letting Derek know when I thought I had made a decent pass.

Then the moment of truth.

I thought I had a good set up and a pretty "on plane" swing: NOT SO, GRASSHOPPER.

WOW, a light came on. Actually my head-on view was not too bad; down-the-line I looked more like a field hockey player than a golfer. Derek put up a split screen with me on one side and Ernie Els on the other. You can guess who had the better set up and swing.

We compared my "numbers" (shoulder/hip/tilt/shaft lean angles) to those of the average pro. While some of them were OK several were way out of whack. We discussed which of the numbers were the most critical for me at this time and Derek mad a suggestion - bend your knees. Well, of course, I thought this was simplistic and something I already did but when I did it and reviewed the results on the screen, holy cow, I actually looked (almost) like a golfer.

We discussed several other aspects of my swing and how we could proceed to improve my ball striking and I am going to evaluate my options with a discussion with my CFO (aka, "she who must be obeyed").

My final comment is to applaud GolfTEC and Derek for a great day and a very enjoyable experience. For anyone who is serious about wanting to improve their ball striking and wants to see for themselves how their swing compares to a pro's swing I sincerely recommend a session with GolfTEC.

I'm going to them when the Taylor Made new forged irons come outin March for a fitting. Good to hear!

I have a good friend who is a pga pro at the golftec in Naples, Fl. and I went down to see him a few months ago. I must say I was amazed at the equipment and the process. I was also amazed that my swing looked nothing like it feels.

Sounds pretty exciting Jean, looks like you got your moneys worth.

Thanks for the information, I got a call from them today about during this. I am considering it.

I am curious did they recommend new equipment or was it more of just a swing breakdown? Funny I went to a Golf Galaxy a few years back to get fit and they also compared my swing to Ernies. Tough to beat that swing. Good luck and glad it worked out.

It is very humbling when you see your swing on video and/or on a split screen against a tour pro. HAHA. But to me there is no single aid more important than being able to see your flaws on a video screen. What your minds eye thinks your swing looks like and your actual swing looks like are often times very different. I did this same thing last year for the first time and loved it, and continue to work with video to this day.

Great experience, isn't it?

And just so others are aware, they have more golfers than just Ernie. There are hundreds of swings for driver and irons that they can split screen you with for comparison, so they can match your body style, height, flexibility, etc.

I am curious did they recommend new equipment or was it more of just a swing breakdown? Funny I went to a Golf Galaxy a few years back to get fit and they also compared my swing to Ernies. Tough to beat that swing. Good luck and glad it worked out.

Two different things. They do swing evals, lessons, and equipment recommendation/fittings, but not necessarily all at once. They are different sessions. I've done all three, actually and now have a better swing and new irons. Couldn't be happier unless the shop was closer to my house or office and not out of the way or my normal travel route, but then I'd only be spending more time there, haha.

The closest one to me is about 2 hours away, I just can't make myself dedicate that much drive time.

Sounds like a cool experience! I prepaid a swing evaluation for sometime in the next few months and hope to do it soon, sounds like it really helps

I wish there was a golftec near me.

As do I. I can't travel 2 hours round trip for a lesson...my lifestyle won't allow it.

Tap before talk.

I played today and tried to incorporate the improved posture at address that was so obviously needed. Can't say all went perfectly but I did hit a lot of good shots and think I picked up a few yards.

Gotta work on the impact drills I was shown. Can't wait for a rang session.

Oh, yeah; shot 83 and putted like crap.

Good round Jtm, get the putter going and it will be low numbers for sure.

Great to hear. I always hear great things about Golftec and I've yet to go. I see a Christmas present in the future.

Golftec will want to sell you a package, you have to be very committed to changing your entire swing during this process, I paid $1200 for a 6 month package, their facility is great for practice, I spent hours and hours there. Now I have a nice back swing and get in all the right positions but still cannot hit the ball with any consistency. If you wish for someone to look at your swing and tweek it such that you can play and you do not need to have a swing like Tiger or Ernie then find a local club pro and save your self aggravation and $$. There are many that use video.

Interesting observation.

Yes, there was a sales pitch and their programs are expensive. Also there have been lots of swings through history (Furyk at present) that were nor picture perfect but were effective.

I am still considering a series of lessons; we'll see what happens.

I'm scheduled to go for an evaluation next week. I'm hoping for some truly positive results.

I was a bit disappointed honestly....felt like I was being sold a fitness club membership. The more you spend the more you save --- $$$$. Wasn't ready to drop $1200+ on a series of lessons and then the push the monthly cost vs the total to try and get you to commit. Sort of like buying a car in many respects. I'm sticking with live lessons with my pro on the range. As I need them.

I was a bit disappointed honestly....felt like I was being sold a fitness club membership. The more you spend the more you save --- $$$$. Wasn't ready to drop $1200+ on a series of lessons and then the push the monthly cost vs the total to try and get you to commit. Sort of like buying a car in many respects. I'm sticking with live lessons with my pro on the range. As I need them.

Did you have the full swing evaluation or did you just see the facility and get the sales pitch?

I did the swing evaluation at Golftec in Hawaii even after reading mixed reviews on several different forums. I figure it all depends on the pro on how your experience will be. I just wanted to get a firm grasp on my swing and see what the major flaws were so I decided to do the swing evaluation. If I had to pay full price ($180), I would have though it was an extreme waste of money. I ended up paying just under $100 because I saw a coupon online and they said they would honor it. I definitely like the facility and that you can see yourself from two different angles after every swing, but I didn't get any knew information about my swing that I didn't already know from getting lessons with video at Rodger Dunn which are $70 a lesson. I thought for sure he would try and give me the time share sales pitch for lessons, but not once did he even mention getting lessons. Strange. If it wasn't so expensive I would consider getting lessons because it seems like they have every training aid known to man to help you out with your swing, but I think I'll stick with Rodger Dunn with an outdoor range and video analysis.

After getting the sleazy timeshare sales pitch BEFORE I did the full analysis, I decided I would save my $165 and put it into 3 lessons on the range with my pro... But it was "only" $99 if you signed up for at least six months worth of lessons. hhhmmmmm:confused2:

Guys, they are a business. They stay in business by selling lessons, etc. Every store is different in how they go about doing that, I'm sure. Some of the guys are probably higher pressure, others are more laid back. I had zero pressure in my experience. I asked about the rates, he showed me the various plans and even recommended I not get one of the top plans that include practice time since I am not close enough to take full advantage. I would encourage people to try them out and if they don't think it is for them, don't spend you money there. For others they are great. Someone else mentioned it being like buying a car - there are good dealers and bad dealers, good salesman and bad salesmen. Not all Chevy dealers are bad, not all Dodge salesmen are good, etc. Take each as they come and go from there. GolfTEC is no different.

Back