Do you leave the pin in, or take it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flagstick - in or out?

Flagstick - in or out?

I read the thread concerning the use of a tee when hitting irons for tee shots. The consensus seems to be that if a tee is allowed; use it.

I have the same question (and opinion) about leaving the flagstick in when it is allowed. My thought is that the "flagstick never hurts a good shot". I know that that is not universally true but:

What do you think?

I'll probably be in the minority here too.... I like leaving it in as it gives me another target to shoot for. I also find it's easier to judge distances with it in.

I drained a chip last weekend that if the flag was out wouldnt have gone in. If I am putting, I pull it.

If I'm off the green it stays in, if I'm on the green it gets pulled. and if I'm 100 yards out I go have my playing partners tend the flag. I learned that from watching Phil on TV!!!

Out if you really think you can make it. LIke say a 8 foot putt but your just on the fringe.

But lets say I'm on the fringe and it's 8 feet straight downhill and I'm worried I wont be able to stop it in time. Then I'ld lay that flag stick flat on the ground right behind the hole if I could. Leave it in, in case of the one in a million chance it hits it and goes in.

Taking the flag out is great is you think you can hole out. Because if the ball hits the flag it may cause bad things to happen. You see it all the time on tour. It all boils down to personal choice.

It depends on the situation, but I pull the flag the majority of the time.

I say out, it kinda gives me confidence as I know I am trying to hole it

If I'm off the green it stays in, if I'm on the green it gets pulled. and if I'm 100 yards out I go have my playing partners tend the flag. I learned that from watching Phil on TV!!!

HAHHAHAHAHAHA nice. Good points all around. In retrospect, it depends on the hole location and shot.

If I"m putting from the fringe area I pull the flag if I think I can actually make the putt. If I'm chipping from the fringe or around the green I leave the pin in.

The flag stays in till I'm on the green unless a playing partner gets really antsy an pulls it on me.

I leave it in on any time I can, unless the flag is leaning. I am of the mindset I am more likely to have the flag save a a bad shot (too much speed) than I am to have it cost me a good shot.

Pulled the majority of the time. Tended and pulled if not able to see well and good chance of going in. I HATE seeing a great shot hit a pin and bounce 5 feet away. Although I do realize the risk with pulling it and then the pin not being able to save a hot shot.

Out if you are confident you can make it. I have had too many hit the flagstick and bounce off wierd, even at "make it" speeds. If I miss with the flag out, I have nothing to blame but myself. The only way it helps is if you mishit or hit the ball to hard and the flagstick stops it, which is just rare luck to hit the stick dead center.

if I'm on the green and within 10 feet it's out otherwise I leave it in

If I am chipping from off the green and I think I can make it, I play by 2 rules:

(1) if the green is running away from me, then I leave it in.

(2) if the green is running towards me, then I take it out.

For me it's alway taken out. I ask for the stick to be tended on long putts to help with distance judgment. I love in match play when the stick is out and the chip goes in (or even lips out) as if you expected it to -- wreaks havoc with most opponents. Of course, this tactic backfires if your short game is lacking and you make a fool of yourself...

If I am chipping from off the green and I think I can make it, I play by 2 rules:

(1) if the green is running away from me, then I leave it in.

(2) if the green is running towards me, then I take it out.

I agree with this, most of the time.

I have a buddy tend it from 70 yds a la mickelson...just kidding. I tend to follow Interlooper's guidelines.

Pin in must be an advantage otherwise they would let you leave it in when putting on the green and not be a two stroke penalty. Pin stays in

left in until I'm actually on the green.

Pin in must be an advantage otherwise they would let you leave it in when putting on the green and not be a two stroke penalty. Pin stays in

Not sure I agree with the logic that the only reason to take the pin out while putting is because the pin is an advantage. In my experience, the pin has hurt my shots more than helped.

Not sure I agree with the logic that the only reason to take the pin out while putting is because the pin is an advantage. In my experience, the pin has hurt my shots more than helped.

That's OK no one says we have to agree with each others logic...

It depends. Lots of things to factor into the decision. Overall distance; how far off the green I am; slope - uphill, downhill, sidehill; green speed; all have to factor into my choice. I would say that I leave it in more often than I take it out, but that's all I can really pinpoint.

For the most part, I want it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back