When I first started playing golf, I chose wedges based on loft so I could get away with using a full swing as often as possible. At one point, I even carried a 64* LW. :shame: As JB pointed out, carrying all those wedges was a crutch that kept me from having to really learn how to use a wedge.

It seems counterintuitive, but as my game progressed and I learned different ways to use a wedge, I started carrying fewer of them in my bag. Why carry a GW when I can choke up on my PW and hit the same distances? Why carry a LW when I can open the face of my SW, choke up, use quarter/half swings, or some combination of those techniques to hit shorter touch shots? In any case, I found that almost any shot inside 100 yards can be well handled by a 54* or 56* SW.

As I've learned to better utilize the versatility of a well made wedge, my wedge selection has become less about loft and much more about feel. I'm down to just a 46* PW and a 54* SW now and I think my short game is better for it.

I like this guy's theory. In my opinion it allows you to learn different shots and be creative. It reminds of playing that game 'one club' when you play a hole using only one club. As for deciding on wedges. I base my decision on:
1. Golf Digest's hotlist - I only pay attention to the clubs that get a gold star
2. THP shootout results
3. If I can't decide I ask Hanks. He knows golf clubs.

JB, when you get into the greenside bunker do you use the 54 or 58 most of the time? or do you use the 54 and change ball position, open the face more?

Depends how close I am to the green.

since I'm new to golf, I don't really know what I'm doing, and don't really have a clue of what I need, I bought my wedges based on the general consensus that you need them to fill in the gaps in the lofts. I'm sure as I get more comfortable with my shot making and my new clubs, I'll get a better scope on what every club in my bag is capable of and where it fits into my game.

I think this was/is exactly what he was speaking of.

Awesome thread, I love this discussion.

For the first 10 or so years of my golfing life, I had one wedge - a 48 degree PW. My short game still isn't great, but this definitely taught me to visualise the different shots I could play.

I feel pretty strongly that amateurs, and especially those who are just starting out or the higher handicapper, actually put themselves at a disadvantage by carrying too many wedges. Not because they have too many clubs, but because they give themselves too many options.
Imagine the scenario, greenside, about 20 yards out. A bit of green to work with, but not too much. A half decent lie. You've got a 48, a 52, a 56 and a 60 to choose from. So many options in your head, so many different shots, so much harder to commit to a certain type of shot (or even master that shot due to repetition!).
Now, if you've got (for instance) a 52 and nothing else, you know the shot you have to play. Commit to it and learn it.

To answer the OP, I choose my wedges based on what I reckon would be the most useful lofts around my home course. I played last season with 52 and 60, and it didn't work. So, this season I'll try something different.

Well I choose my wedges because they fill in the gaps nicely.
PW is 47* - 135
50* - 115
54* - 95-100
58* - 80

For feel shots I usually use the 58*, but for anything I need to spin it is the 50* as I just find I have more control with it. Most bunker shots I use the 54.

This is an awesome thread and kudos to JB for bringing it up and for every who has contributed. The deceleration that was mentioned earlier is a problem I have been suffering with for a while now but I am working myself through it. I have had thoughts about switching my present set-up (52* & 56* along with my PW) to one with more wedges but I came to realize, as has been stated here, it would confuse me only further. I know working out my problem in the short game is the fastest way my scores are going to drop and thread like this are very helpful to me by learning what other, more accomplished golfers do in this area.

1. I choose it based on lofts so that I can have full swings and no gaps at the top.

2. I choose based on the soft feel I am looking for, for my touch shots.

His question was this. If #1 is the reason, is feel even really as noticeable? And if it is #2, and it is all about touch shots, is #1 really needed?

#1 is the most important, it's about covering yardages. #2 is a bit less important but can ruin it for me if the feel & touch isn't there.

Depends on the wedge. I only carry two additional wedges, a 54* and a 60*. The 54* is used for a lot of full and 3/4 or 1/2 shots on approaches, and pitches around the green if there is no obstacle requiring a flop shot. The 60* is used primarily for flop shots, getting over a bunker, sometimes a full shot from the 75 yd range, or a 50 yd shot if the green calls for it. My LW is as soft as they come (an old Cleveland Berylium Nickel that is butter) and I use it almost exclusively for feel shots. My 54* I'm more concerned with the distance than the feel, though it still feels fine.

So I guess it is a combination for me - SW fits #1, LW fits #2.

I use my 54* around the greens unless I have to go up and over something and try to land it soft, then I will use my 60*, I rarely take it out of the bag, but I do have it just in case.

I chose my wedges by how soft they feel. My wedge game in the past was nothing to write home about. I have noticed the Eidelons(here is where JB corrects me on how I say it) are freaken awesome. They have to be some of the best feeling wedges I have hit. I have let a couple of people hit them and they instantly fell in love as well.

I use my 54* around the greens unless I have to go up and over something and try to land it soft, then I will use my 60*, I rarely take it out of the bag, but I do have it just in case.

I chose my wedges by how soft they feel. My wedge game in the past was nothing to write home about. I have noticed the Eidelons(here is where JB corrects me on how I say it) are freaken awesome. They have to be some of the best feeling wedges I have hit. I have let a couple of people hit them and they instantly fell in love as well.

But it that softness due to the Eidelons or due to the shaft?

I think that's awesome. I mostly use my 50* gap wedge for most of my green side shots and from 100 yards and in. I don't know why, I'm just better with it.

Same here. My GW is my all purpose, get on the green club. I will usually use it from anything within 100 yards or so. I tend to switch to my SW when I'm in rough near the green for the added bounce and I rarely use the 60.

I go with a 52 and 58 then my PW. I feel these cover anything from 0-120 yards and then above 120 yds I go with my PW. I can use either around the green depending on how I want to play to the hole. I like my wedges to feel soft but that is same if I'm around the green or full swings. Another important factor is bounce. I like wedges with very little bounce. Since I'm a sweeper/picker I prefer that and also play places with tighter fairways.

But it that softness due to the Eidelons or due to the shaft?

good question and I wouldnt know because I do not have one with a different shaft in it.

To answer the original question, I bought wedges in the lofts I did because of marketing and internet forums. No need to lie :) When I started, I saw that everybody (almost) had three or more wedges so I figured I should too. Same reason I bought a 3W.

Besides my regular PW and GW I use a 54* and 58* setup. These two wedges get used mostly greenside and with some bunker play. I prefer the 54 because I feel like I can bump and run it or open it up for a little flop if need be. Whatever reason I just got it in my head that it was more versatile than the 56 so it is what I have. I'd say after that looks are #2.

I added the 60* simply because of the hype, but have found I really enjoy it for full shots from 30 to 60 yards out. From 30 I have the blade open quite a bit and progressively close the blade out to 60. But, I have to agree that it's not a club I would really have to have. I could easily pull off the same shots with the 56* open out to 90 yards.

im thinking full wedge shots are more important to me than basing it on feel shots because i use all my clubs for certain feel shots
yesterday it was windy and i used my 8i from right off the green for a lil 3ft chip
ive also used hybrids to "putt" from a few feet off the green
i do however find that feel shots with my 60 are invaluable when trouble is in the way of my lil bump and runs with my hybrids/8i's
you cant use the texas wedge when you have a sprinkler head/ sand trap/ shaggy rough in the way so my 60 is my magic stick

The beginning is the best time, because you're going to have tons of shots inside 50 yards and in every different part of courses. I also think the best way to learn the game and lower your handicap is to learn it backwards. Start on the green and work your way back.

+1 Couldn't agree more. Teaching my 5yo nephew now using this simple philosophy.

Great thread! I used to go strictly by lofts to 'eliminate gaps' based on full swings. Now I almost never take full swings and go with 1/2 -3/4 and look at what kind of shots I hit the most. Lately I've been struggling with consistently hitting my gap wedge and have considered taking it out of the bag. Will there be a 'gap?' Probably but if I can use the Niblick and SW more for other type of shots I may not even know there is a GW missing from my bag.

I choose my wedge setup based on what I thought I would need on the course. I tend to think of my PW as a iron and use it for the most part as such. My 50* is my go-to club from about 75 yards and in. SW for the sand and those shots around the green where I need a bit more loft than my 50*. LW doesn't see too much action, but it's used when I need to make a lob shot. This is what I'm comfortable with and am happy about it. Sure I go entire rounds without touching my LW, but I'd rather carry it than another long club. To me it serves a better purpose. Sure there is nothing saying I have to carry 14 clubs, but in my opinion, I would be doing my game a disservice by not giving myself every advantage I can in the game and to me than means carrying 14 clubs. All of my clubs have a purpose, that's why I carry them. I know I'm just a beginner, but these are my thoughts. I could be wrong, however I believe that golf is a game of confidence and we should set ourselves up with clubs that give us confidence. One of those aspects is my wedge selection. I know there's been lots of talk lately about how amateurs don't/shouldn't carry 3+ wedges, and while I understand that, I think that we need to learn things as we go along. As G4L said, he got a wedge setup when he first started and that changed as his game progressed. No one can take this game up and know everything there is to know without some trial and error along the way. That's ultimately what makes us better golfers - learning. We are constantly learning the ins and outs of the game. So as time goes on, the equipment we use will change to suit our needs. For right now, as I'm still learning, I think my current setup suits me just fine. As time goes on and I learn more, sure, I will probably tweek a few things, but for right now, I'm happy with my setup and that gives me the confidence to do what I need to do.

The entire conversation started because we were discussing how amateurs are carrying 3+ wedges now and he relates that strictly with marketing and how the club companies are putting out so many lofts.

He said it used to be a creative game around the greens, but he thinks that many higher handicapped golfers really struggle for 2 reasons.

1. They have no idea what club to play with and when inside of 50 yards.
2. They do not have any idea how to play different shots other than a normal shot.

He thinks taking away all wedges higher than 50* for a couple of rounds would be great for creativity and touch.

Interesting conversation to say the least.

When I first learned how to play golf in high school, we bought a started set that included 7 clubs only (for $50!!!). A driver and 3 wood, 3,5,7 & 9 irons and a putter. We learned the game and practiced with this set. My goal in high school was a score of 45 on 9 holes. By my senior year I was usually shooting between 43 (on good days) to 50 (on so-so and bad days). I didn't get a full set until I was in my mid-thirties (a great set of 845s!). My first set had indestructable grips that lasted for more than 10-15 years!

Anyway, I learned to hit a lot of different shots with what I had. I still sometimes go out with just my odd numbered irons or just my even numbered irons to get 'feel' back into my game. I used to not use my driver until I had at least 10 or more rounds completed. By then I had a reliable swing for the summer.

The entire conversation started because we were discussing how amateurs are carrying 3+ wedges now and he relates that strictly with marketing and how the club companies are putting out so many lofts.

He said it used to be a creative game around the greens, but he thinks that many higher handicapped golfers really struggle for 2 reasons.

1. They have no idea what club to play with and when inside of 50 yards.
2. They do not have any idea how to play different shots other than a normal shot.

He thinks taking away all wedges higher than 50* for a couple of rounds would be great for creativity and touch.

Interesting conversation to say the least.

The lofts of the standard iron set is much stronger than 30-40 years ago, and the PW loft of about 47* is the normal 9 iron of those prior years. Hence the need to have a gap wedge of 52-54 when in the past that was a PW.

My 1970 forged SS iron set has a 47* 9i, and 51* PW, and 56* SW, ie two wedges. Now, you have a 47* PW, 52* gap, and 58* lob...hence three wedges all because the iron set is stronger lofted. I'm sure some will have a 4th wedge...ie 60*, etc.

I also have a 2 iron with a 20* loft that now is about a 3 iron loft, and the 1 iron....well its a little stronger than today's 2 iron. Try a stinger 1 iron sometime...ah

Now as far as which wedges, fill the gaps with 52-54* and 58-60*. Only need two additional wedges after the PW. Finess the 52*(for soft greens; 54* for hard greens) and the 58* to fit the situation...really no need for more than two more. We all know how to finess the 9* for that back pin to reduce spin when the PW is the distance club...same with the wedges.

Last edited:
I choose my wedge model based off feel and then lofts to fill my gaps.
When I hit shots into the green I choose my club based on the distance I need to hit it, but more importantly, the trajectory I want based on how I expect the ball to react on the green.

This and putting is what I plan on working on the mosts this year...

I think this was/is exactly what he was speaking of.

I figured I was illustrating his point :smile: A friend of mine is the golf coach of the high school he teaches for, and he was helping me get started. We talked a lot about club selection and I was surprised to learn that he only carries 9-11 clubs regularly. He has become so comfortable with many of his shots that he needs fewer clubs - as I'm sure many of you who have been golfing a while have come to find. But, at no time did I feel like he thought I would be better served by only buying a handful of clubs initially. I think having a full complement of clubs to choose from can initially make it tough to figure out which club to go to for each shot. I do think it gives the beginner options that, once you learn what each club does for you, can help you refine your game. I don't think I'll be carying 14 clubs once I get more comfortable with my game, but I also don't think having more clubs right now is all that much of a hinderence.

For me its getting the yardage gaps that Im looking for. Feel is important, but its such a subjective thing and can be influenced by so many factors that I concern myself more with loft.

I've gone through many wedges over the years. Different lofts, bounces, shafts, grips and manufacturers. I guess the short answer is experience. I've learned through experimenting over the years what configurations work best for me.

My bag also changes a bit depending on the course and conditions.
I always have 46deg PW, 54 and 58 in the bag. I add a 50 deg wedge on courses where that club will be more useful than a 5wd.

I agree with the club makers theory. Similarly, I think many players would benefit from playing a few rounds with 3 clubs. I always found that was a great way to learn to use various clubs in different situations especially around the greens.

Back