I'll honestly say I've always really bought wedges to fill gaps, I had 5 in the bag at one point lol.

I had dwindled the wedges down to 2 wedges last year, my cg 11 52 that I hit anywhere from 120 to 95 and green side chips; then a nike vr 56 wedge that was great out of the sand and on anything under 90 yards.

Come Christmas I reverted a bit in asking for 52 56 & 60 wedges (I actually received two sets lol). I told myself " I'm a 8 hcp, I can hit a 60 no problem" 2 months worth of attempting has proved me wrong. This last weekend I cringed at the thought of grabbing the 60 for a short sided shot, and a 50 yard pitch; and proceeded to drop the flop in the bunker, and blade the 50 yarder over the green. Each time I walked away thinking I should have hit the 56.

Although now I'm in a pickle. I know to shoot my best right now, I drop the 60. But I believe learning to play the 60 will help me break my best score of 71 and lower my handicap in the future. At what point do I have to bite the bullet and get worse in order to get better? That is what I've been fighting amongst myself lately.

Last edited:
I don't know, and don't think, that I have gotten to the point that I would say that I am at the point where I should be able to carry as many wedges as I do according to what has been said in this post. Still a 20 handicap. Here it seems like people are saying that you have to earn your 60* wedge. I don't really agree. When I started playing I only had a PW and 54* I actually gave up on golf for a while because of my short game. I got tired of blading or chunking my 54 on anything less than a full shot. Most people would tell me to just work on it, but I'm not going pro anytime soon and I just wanted to golf and not have to spend hours learning different shots. I didn't think I could enjoy the game, because I didn't know all the shots.

Well, I got back into golf and had only a PW and a 56*, same thing happened, but I knew a lot more about clubs and got a 62* wedge. My short game improved because I could hit full shots from shorter distances and wasn't worrying about deceleration of the club head. My 62* gave me confidence to play shots within 100 yards which was my weak point. Now I carry a 64* as well. So, I say that if you want to spend hours practicing how to hit creative shots from 100 and in with a 54 or 56, go right ahead. But I want to play golf. I don't have a big enough ego to say I only play 2 wedges and I can hit 12 shots with each. I just want to know what club I need to hit, take my regular repeatable swing and know I played the right shot. As long as the rules allow me, I will play with high lofted wedges.

If I can straighten out my drives, I can see my handicap dropping like a stone because my short game has greatly improved because of high lofted wedges.

Well, I have to say that I no longer only have Taylormade Clubs... I got my irons today and had to get wedges, you all know the story. I went there thinking I was going to buy the TaylorMade XFT wedges. But after talking with my buddy that works at golf galaxy, we play all the time together. He says "dude look at the vokey's. You see me use them all the time. For a wedge i think you'd love them. I play with you, I know you would." So, I walked out getting 2 vokeys a 54* and a 58*. The manager came over cuz of my iron situation and helped me decide which I would need to get for the way I wanted to play. I was done shopping. So, he took me to the register and scanned my items. In stead of $119.99 a piece I got them for $99.99 a piece. A free dozen of penta limited edition 5-7-9-11 balls (just the numbers are different I guess). Plus they let me use $20 in coupons that I had too. So, I grabbed a $10 double sided brush with groove clean and I was out the door $200.64 after tax which was $13. So, I can say that I'm happy. good deal on clubs used my coupons got a brush and some free killer golf balls that aren't cheap. Plus I took home my new irons too.... :banana:

My wedges set-up is the typical 52, 56, 60*. But my game has changed a bit and I have not been using my 60 much, I haven't had a need to make many lob shots or shots that I can't make with my sand wedge so I've been considering making my wedge set-up. 50-54 and possibly 58 or just keeping my 56 for those sand shots.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

that's why I went 54 and 58... I still can't believe that I bought clubs that weren't TM... Man the cows must have jumped over the moon too!

Here are pictures of my new girls! I can't believe I bought clubs that aren't TM. I'm sure I will quit dreaming as soon as I hit these babies...
vokey1.jpg
[/IMG]
vokey2.jpg
[/IMG]

You will love your Vokeys, I know I love mine

Nice deal too

1. I choose it based on lofts so that I can have full swings and no gaps at the top.
Exactly right. For me at least.

I use 'em all for full shots only bar the 58* which is the only club I use around the green. I'd love to have the control of the of the older experienced players at my club who can roll in a PW or 9i from 50-60y out. Struck me that the chance of holing out should be greater with this approach, as opposed to flying it in with just a foot of roll. Never really found a good way to practice that though. And not about to start experimenting during my rounds really. Our practice area is quite poor if you ask me. Best bet is to practice on the course on a slow day I guess, just never got around to actually start doing it.

I've been contemplating removing a wedge from the bag though and just go 46pw, 52gw, 58lw. On probation with respect to buying stuff though until May 23rd. :D

This is a really helpful thread guys. Over the last year I've been looking at wedges but for an inexperienced player like myself the whole degree thing gets a little confusing. Maybe the companies purposely do it that way so you buy all of them, instead just one. Or maybe not. I just really want something to replace my pitching wedge as I think its seen its better days and maybe add one other wedge to the bag - but I agree with one of the other posts, I think just having that one wedge (early on at least) has helped. Kinda forced me to use one club for many different distances instead of having a bunch of choices. You guys answered a lot of the same questions I had.

I currently have a 60* and I'm contemplating getting a 64* Cleveland wedge cause I think I could use it better for around the greens or shorter than 75 yards since my 60* is hit from 110 to 90 yards. Anyone else have a 64*?

Great clubs bullfrog.

I am thinking of re-adding my 60* to the bag, would me an I would have to drop a club though. Thinking of either the 3w or 3i

I am thinking of re-adding my 60* to the bag, would me an I would have to drop a club though. Thinking of either the 3w or 3i

From the looks of your bag I would get rid of the 3i because you have the mashie m3

I use the 3i though, far more than I use the 3w. I tend to use the Mashie from the tee. Need to decide if the 60 is really worth it for me

I use my 60* a lot and will keep it in the bag (though it may end up 58* or 59* due to new irons) It is perfect at about 90-95 on full shots but I've learned to dial it down all the way to 60 or so. This gives a nice wade range of "full" shots from a single club not to mention the really short shots.

i have tried to use a 60* but man, i think they are really hard to master. i prefer to open upp my 56* instead.
beside that i only use my pw (45*), a 50* and a 56*. gives me all the control i need. now if i only could get it to work on the course as well as when i train with them.

i have tried to use a 60* but man, i think they are really hard to master. i prefer to open upp my 56* instead.
beside that i only use my pw (45*), a 50* and a 56*. gives me all the control i need. now if i only could get it to work on the course as well as when i train with them.

I have the same problem with my 60*. That is why I'm considering taking it out of my bag. I used it twice when I played on Friday and they were both short and awful shots. I'm thinking a 58 might be a slightly better choice.

I love my 60* wedge! I would not function without it on the course, I use for everything closer than 75 yards. I also use a 52* and a 56* and all of them are priceless.

I have the same problem with my 60*. That is why I'm considering taking it out of my bag. I used it twice when I played on Friday and they were both short and awful shots. I'm thinking a 58 might be a slightly better choice.

Might be a better option. But have you tried to open up a stronger lofted club instead?

Tappin' for world peace!

Might be a better option. But have you tried to open up a stronger lofted club instead?

Tappin' for world peace!

I've been using my 56* sand wedge for all kinds of shots around the green and it has been working quite well. I open it up if I need to hit those lob-type shots and I close it for those longer shots.

all last year and early this year the highest wedge i had in the bag was a 56* and i used it for allot of shots, opening it up for flops, bunker shots, bump and run, ect...I always thought that i could do anything with the 56* that a 60* could do since Ive had trouble with them in the past but a month ago i added a 60* Jaws to match my 56* and it has been the BEST decision i have made all year, i can not believe how well i hit this wedge, better than my 56*. The 60* has saved me and put me in so many close par and birdie positions its not even funny, i can say with 100% certainty it is the best scoring club in my bag.

all last year and early this year the highest wedge i had in the bag was a 56* and i used it for allot of shots, opening it up for flops, bunker shots, bump and run, ect...I always thought that i could do anything with the 56* that a 60* could do since Ive had trouble with them in the past but a month ago i added a 60* Jaws to match my 56* and it has been the BEST decision i have made all year, i can not believe how well i hit this wedge, better than my 56*. The 60* has saved me and put me in so many close par and birdie positions its not even funny, i can say with 100% certainty it is the best scoring club in my bag.

I find myself coming up short with alot of 60* shots. I use my 56* and just open the face a little bit and am finding that I'm hitting the ball much better on shorter shots. I don't know if my 60*'s grooves are worn out or if my swing just isn't conducive to good shots with it???

I use a 60 for about 3/4 of all shots 40-50 yards and in. From the sand, from the fairway, lobs, flops, short chips. I hit a lot of shots with it.

Is there a big difference between your standard SW (55) from an iron set and a 56* or 58* wedge from titleist or cleveland for example?
What do you guys think makes the difference? the * or the grooves?

Is there a big difference between your standard SW (55) from an iron set and a 56* or 58* wedge from titleist or cleveland for example?
What do you guys think makes the difference? the * or the grooves?

The big difference is gonna come from the versatility of the sole grinds on your aftermarket (non set) wedge. They are largely different in those sticky situations / bunkers and bad lies in the rough. But on a fairway shot you probably won't be missing a whole lot with a wedge in your set.

As for the grooves, don't quote me on this, but I believe that the spin won't be a lot different with the new grooves except for in the rough. The non conforming grooves can trap a lot more debris and grass in them and channel it away from impact to contact the ball better making them better in the rough. But on a regular lie (not buried in grass) there shouldn't be a marked difference.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Back