Who has made the switch to all "CC" or "Condtions of Competiton" grooves...

Mustng5

Reaction score
Handicap
Who has made the switch to all "CC" or "Condtions of Competiton" grooves...

Which companies have excelled in this area as it realtes to equipment? And has it negatively effected your game?

I made the switch to all conforming groove clubs as soon as i was able to.lol. i am one of those players that would put too much spin on the ball with the old grooves, so as soon as i was able to, i ordered conforming groove wedges. the irons i was using last year and the irons i am using currently are both conforming as well (Mizzy MP68's before and Adams CB2's now). i tried a couple of Scratch conforming groove wedges, but just wasn't getting the performance out of them i wanted, so i switched back to Cleveland and had my buddy order me the conforming groove ones. much better feel for me and since i wanted less spin, they work better for me. i did notice myself catching flyers more often out of the rough with the irons, but it really doesn't happen THAT often. i personally prefer the old school grooves which are the same as the "new" grooves that are conforming.

Nope. Not even close. I have zero reason to switch. And until I try to qualify for the US Open I have no plans on making the switch.

Not yet. Working on replacing the wedges now.

I've been playing conforming irons for 2 years. Makes no real difference in my game. My 2 wedges (one Vokey and one Cleveland) still have the old grooves. Just don't have any reason to change them at this time. I won't hesitate to buy conforming grooves in them too when the time comes. Some people just make way too big a deal out of it.

Tried Vokeys (played them last year, about to switch) and Callaway JAWS (and another Callaway model) I can't remember, the Callaways had sick amounts of backspin. Too much for my taste.

I bought new irons last year, they came with conforming grooves. I did not care either way. Being a senior golfer power is not a part of my game so I don't spin balls backwards very often. I don't see much difference in the spin at all.

I bought new irons last year so...yes

I still have my Cleveland wedge though and I don't plan on replacing that anytime soon, it is too hard to find a good wedge that you can get used too and really love plus it's the club I hit my hole-in-one with.

My irons are conforming, but not my one wedge. I even bought an extra wedge with the big grooves just so I have it in reserve!
I think my 54 might be conforming since it has crappy regular grooves.

Because I'm playing all new stuff, they all conform. Count me as someone who was originally afraid the groove changes would change my ability to hit and stick greens, but that has not been the case. I'm glad I didn't panic and buy some TM XFT wedges and a bunch of replacement faces.

My new Mizzie wedges spin more than enough, and I can back up my PW - 8 irons just fine on a green. The only times I notice less spin is on shots out of the rough. These grooves don't seem to have the volume to spin much when grass gets between the face and the ball. Hit a few more fliers because of this, and just play for more rollout for these shots in general.

just by the nature of the beast, I have but only because all the equipment in the bag now is conforming, not completely by choice

The irons and wedges I am testing right now have the new grooves and I haven't noticed any difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the grooves don't really make a difference for clean lies?

The irons and wedges I am testing right now have the new grooves and I haven't noticed any difference. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the grooves don't really make a difference for clean lies?

That's what I have heard as well. I believe they did this to make playing from the fairway more of an advantage and limit the spin someone can get from the rough.

That's what I have heard as well. I believe they did this to make playing from the fairway more of an advantage and limit the spin someone can get from the rough.

Hehe, I spend a lot of time in the rough, but I still haven't noticed a difference. I played an XFT with CC grooves at the outing and it worked well for me. Also, I found the CG16's to be very spinny out of short rough last weekend.

I made the switch about 6 months ago to conforming grooves. I hit my irons pretty low and I noticed a difference in spin, as a lot of my low irons don't hold the green as well as my previous irons. I DEFINITELY noticed the lack of spin around the greens with the wedges. I have subsequently returned to spin milled groove wedges.

I have all except one wedge, my other wedge is the xFT with conforming grooves and the Jaws is the one that isnt. Only difference i have noticed is out of the rough.

Nope. Not even close. I have zero reason to switch. And until I try to qualify for the US Open I have no plans on making the switch.

+2. Same for me. No reason to switch and I will not be switching anytime soon. I also stopped supporting the USGA with my money because of the change.

I don't believe anything in my bag is CC.

I have a 58 deg Mizuno wedge that is non-conforming. I think thats the last one in my bag. I happen to love the black finish on the T-10.

As stated by others, I think spin from the rough is the most noticeable difference with the wedges.

My CB1's conform, but my wedges don't. I have a Spin Milled 58, and a Taylormade TP 54 z cutter.

As of now I play non conforming grooves but I'm not afraid to make the switch at all.

+2. Same for me. No reason to switch and I will not be switching anytime soon. I also stopped supporting the USGA with my money because of the change.

I completely understand why some people don't want to switch and won't switch until they absolutely have to but does that really justify to not donate money to something you have been supporting. Of course, their could be many reasons not to want to pay the USGA, lol. But, is it their fault that the had to make a groove rule? Technically yes, as they made and approved the new rule, but it was to alter the gameplay of the pro's. Of course the USGA looks at amateurs like us too, but think about it this way, golf is the only sport that equipment manufacturing (conforming limits wise) affect's the amateur. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can play the same equipment, courses,etc, as the pro's do (Barring Augusta, etc). You can't do this(or very little) in other sports. No one is going to go out and buy a brand new wooden baseball bat for their softball league, and if they do they're pretty hardcore. If the USGA had to change something to stop the players from spinning the ball as much out of the rough, we get the aftershock of having to play CC grooves. It's not all about us. I feel that in the game of golf, we are a lot closer linked to the pro's in many ways. Not personal connections wise, as I assume a lot of people here don't have connections with pro's, but equipment world wise. I just don't blame the USGA for having to make the switch. And then to the manufacturer's side, they aren't allowed to make non conforming wedges so no one can blame them either. ( I'm tired and I'm really, really, hoping this post made sense guys!)

Back